Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

Republicans want to make getting a divorce difficult

Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content cardscomicsmoviesandgames
    Hidden Content darkdemon202404

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Good. Getting a divorce should not be easy. Getting married is a big commitment. It should not be entered into with the knowledge that if it fails it is no big deal because divorces are easy to obtain. This is the problem with society. They want their mistakes to be easy fixes with no repercussions. Perhaps if the fix isn't so easy then people will be a little more likely to think before they act.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

I agree. Though I will say it's not a new phenomenon. The ancient Israelites could divorce their wives over poorly cooked meals.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bodyelectricmethod's Items on eBay

perhaps we should make it harder to get married, so divorce isn't taken so lightly.

wickabee, that is because Moses knew the men were sexist jerks,so he allowed it.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

perhaps we should make it harder to get married, so divorce isn't taken so lightly.

wickabee, that is because Moses knew the men were sexist jerks,so he allowed it.

It's arguable that, with the technology available, a poorly cooked meal could potentially equal death.

Of course, these were a people who made menstruating women leave town for a week, so you're probably correct.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

No outsider really knows what's going on in the next person's marriage. There could be something that broke down that is beyond repair. Why subject kids to a disfunctional marriage then look stupid when those same kids grow up to have their own disfunctional marriage. Republicans don't give a damn about the sanctity of marriage as long as it is one misreable man with one miserable woman.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

No outsider really knows what's going on in the next person's marriage. There could be something that broke down that is beyond repair. Why subject kids to a disfunctional marriage then look stupid when those same kids grow up to have their own disfunctional marriage. Republicans don't give a damn about the sanctity of marriage as long as it is one misreable man with one miserable woman.

This is true, but stats don't lie and the divorce rate is way too high and always growing. Either people are putting too little thought into who they marry (leading to what you described) or are divorcing because they're bored.
    I'll give you Reps pay lip service to marriage, but something is seriously wrong.

That said I didn't watch the video.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Good. Getting a divorce should not be easy.

Um....no.

Getting a divorce should be just as easy as getting married.

Making it hard doesn't help anyone....if either of the persons involved in a marriage wants to get divorced (For whatever reason) it is their right to do so.

Getting married is a big commitment.

You would think that....but in a country where 55% of married couples divorce.... apparently it's not....although I'm not surprised one bit.

It should not be entered into with the knowledge that if it fails it is no big deal because divorces are easy to obtain.

That would require people to know ahead of time things that are impossible to know....divorces happen for a variety of reasons...the main one is simply that one or both persons involved in the marriage simply don't love each other anymore.

When they married, they most likely didn't foresee this happening....now imagine a law making it really hard for this failing marriage to cease to exist....it just creates the problem bigger.

The best thing to do is for the couple to go their separate ways.

This is the problem with society. They want their mistakes to be easy fixes with no repercussions. Perhaps if the fix isn't so easy then people will be a little more likely to think before they act.

When someone makes a mistake, the preferred option is to quickly fix it with as much ease as possible.....of course the intent is to minimize the mistake.

Making the mistake bigger, longer, and more complicated is rarely the answer.
    Last edited by JustAlex; 03-13-2013 at 12:51 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

For every one marriage that ends because of an issue like you discuss there are 20 others that end because they just don't want to try to make it work, they have better things to do, they didn't really want to be married to begin with, they thought it would be cool to get married and it wasn't, they were too young, etc. We don't have a 50% divorce rate in this country because 50% of the marriages involved horrible situations with horrible people. Our divorce rate is so high because there is no sanctity in marriage anymore and divorces have become the norm and not the exception.

Case in point. My cousin is now getting ready to get married for the 3rd time. Her first husband didn't treat her right (and by not treat her right I mean he only provided her with a $500k house, an $80k SUV, diamond rings, weekly hair and nail salon visits and vacations to Las Vegas and Hawaii. He never abused her or hurt her at any time). Her second husband apparently just wasn't good enough, because I have yet to hear a legit reason of why she divorced him. In both cases, she is at fault. Nobody cheated. Nobody was abused. She just doesn't want to settle. And her 2 kids had to live through both of these divorces.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Then people wouldn't bother getting married.

Which actually I personally would agree more towards that seeing as I personally believe marriage is unnecessary in today's modern world, and it causes more problems than benefits (This assertion is based on pure opinion and not any real stats).

However, it's a conflicting issue for me, since I also believe that people should do whatever they want and if marriage makes them happy then I'm all for it.

I just think that the chances of them remaining happy in said marriage is slim to nil.

Anyways, the GOP have once again offered up a bad idea....making divorce more difficult only hurts the people involved.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast