Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thread: Need your opinions.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jlai624's Items on eBay

Need your opinions.

Without going into TOO much detail and names. Let's just say I was told from a local vendor that I could not sell wax at the next local show.

A little backdrop: Last month was the very first time I've ever had a table at a live show and I had it with my partner for our "604 Breaks" - A lot of the regulars here in the Vancouver area took part and it was great fun. There IS a market for this whether it's us doing it or not. Now.... without solid proof I will not point the fingers to anyone, but I have a feeling deep down, some of the "longtime" vendors saw the attention we were getting was probably was not happy we were getting some of their "wax" business and made some complaint.

I spoke with the show organizer through email and on the phone. Now, I must say that I totally respect that it is his show and I will listen to his request. But the reasons he gave me didn't sit too well with me.

Said there was "4 alotted sellers of wax at the show" - Last month when I got a table, I never was told any restrictions to what I could or could not sell. He also went into a little backdrop saying the hobby is not strong enough to basically sustain a "price war" for wax at the shows. I basically think he was trying to say that he didn't want to piss off his long time vendors. I told him there is a demand for live breaks and we are providing it for people.

Like I said, I've dealt with the organizer before, but never as a regular table owner. I will be there this Sunday and I will listen to his request of no wax. I hope to talk to him again. If he remains firm on his stance, I feel it will be my last time having a table there and I want the community to know about this.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Like we spoke before ...... the organizer has an "old school" way of looking at things. He obviously got some sort of negative feedback from the usual vendors there, and decided to keep the big boys happy.

Ive set up there quite a few times ( never sold wax ), but whats the difference in a "price war" between singles and wax. If I decide to go to the show and totally blow out my entire inventory ..... am I not "stealing" business away from the other long time vendors? I mean, if you can give better prices than the big wax dealers that buy cases and cases of everything, only to charge higher prices per box .... then the customers are being ripped off.

He once told me that I was no longer allowed to take out my cards and try and talk trades with other people walking around. That I was only allowed to make trades or deals with the vendors. I told him that if that was the case I would make sure that all of the online people boycott his show .... and assured him that we were the majority and the regulars that attend his show every month. Needless to say, he said if we were just trading and I wasnt simply "selling out of my bag" then it was fine ( which i totally understand, I didnt pay like all the other vendors to set up and sell my stuff )

Confront him head on at the show, tell him hes just BSing you and you should be allowed to sell anything you want ( within legal reason ) at the show. We have minors walking around the show and he lets his "old school" vendors sell old Playboy magazines, but god forbid you hold group breaks?

Before you talk to him, try and get as many of us in the loop as you can .... there is strength in numbers ..... and if he stands firm, we simply show him the amount of business his loyal , long time vendors will loose if the Vancouver online people just decide not to come for a few months.
    Last edited by canucksfan007; 06-21-2013 at 01:55 AM.
    *** Main PC - Roberto Luongo ***
    *** MOST WANTED - 12/13 PRIME COLORS "PATCH" ROBERTO LUONGO x/8 ***

Flickr ( not updated ) - Hidden Content
    Trade List - Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks for your support. I will be there a little later this Sunday around 10AM but my partner will be there first. I definitely don't mind a little support group as I approach.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (27) UCB
    Country
    See ultimatehockeyfan's Items on eBay

In my opinion, you should be able to have boxes at your table. Doing live group breaks is unique to that show and its not like you guys are selling boxes of every product.

SCF Rewards
    Country

In my opinion, you should be able to have boxes at your table. Doing live group breaks is unique to that show and its not like you guys are selling boxes of every product.

Yup, we will see what happens on Sunday. I may even give one of the "longtime" vendors a chat too.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See sjw241's Items on eBay

I don't really know the reasons for it, but the local show where I live limit wax selling to only 2 vendors. They tell you up front that you can't sell wax.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (162)
    Country

Wow, that really sucks... I do not give any restrictions for the vendors at my show. If everyone wanted to sell wax they can do so, they paid for the table to be there.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I do not see anything wrong with the group breaks or selling of wax. I mean it's not your fault you are more popular than the others. With respect to the other older vendors, it's just that you advertise and use the social media context to your advantage.

As far as I can see, I only see one REPUTABLE dealer for selling wax (before you started). Never have I bought wax from the so called other vendors ( heck I haven't even seen more than 2 vendors with supposed wax).

And in relation to what 007 said singles are is no different (heck even them selling pizza at an inflated price is a price war). Is that the reason why Matt Fearn doesn't set up at small shows? His table was always flooded, all he did was give reasonable prices.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I don't know who Matt is but I was at the new LCS the other day and this other guy was talking bad about bonsor and how overpriced the auto's were when guests came.... we will see what happens on Sunday.