Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spring training...

SCF Rewards
    Country

spring training...

So my dad and I may go to spring training in Arizona this spring break. He knows a few guys in the d-backs organization from his playing days, so we are going to go to a few games. Any tips on graphing in spring training?

SCF Rewards
    Country

I went last year for the first time. the best place to get Autos is the practice fields. The Minor league guys are a slam dunk if you know their name. They appreciate anyone that knows who they are. The "A" list guys will be tougher as everyone there is wanting their autos but they can be obtained if you are patient. Get there when they open the fields to the public and you can get a good spot and hold it and dont move. We went to the Rangers last year and one "A" lister would start signing and then leave, then another would start. My kids didnt move and got all of them that signed.

We are going two days before spring break this year to avoid the spring break rush. The crowds were 4x the size on the Monday of Spring Break week vs the day before.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I went to AZ last year as well for the first time- been going to florida for years

got (in no particular order) Pujols, Magic Johnson, Kemp, Nolan Ryan, Trout, Hamilton, McGwire, Mattingly, Kershaw, Jay Bruce, Joey Votto, Brandon Phillips... yeah, it was a good week.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Wow. That's ridiculous. I've been going to Cactus League every year for the last three years. I have gotten zero autographs from current players, although I have never tried. I would be interested to hear how you pull that off. Last year, during a game at Hohokam, both Fergie Jenkins and Rollie Fingers were signing at tables on behalf of the late Ron Santo's favorite charity, JDRF. So I bought two balls from them. George Foster and Jody Davis were also there signing but I bypassed them.

I went to AZ last year as well for the first time- been going to florida for years

got (in no particular order) Pujols, Magic Johnson, Kemp, Nolan Ryan, Trout, Hamilton, McGwire, Mattingly, Kershaw, Jay Bruce, Joey Votto, Brandon Phillips... yeah, it was a good week.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Wow. That's ridiculous. I've been going to Cactus League every year for the last three years. I have gotten zero autographs from current players, although I have never tried. I would be interested to hear how you pull that off. Last year, during a game at Hohokam, both Fergie Jenkins and Rollie Fingers were signing at tables on behalf of the late Ron Santo's favorite charity, JDRF. So I bought two balls from them. George Foster and Jody Davis were also there signing but I bypassed them.

Games are the hardest spots I think. Practice Fields are the place to go. Last year we got these from the Rangers: Kinsler, Andrus, Pierzynski, Feliz, Ogando, Harrison, Scheppers, and pretty much any minor leaguer we wanted.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Going to Spring Training before games start > Going to Spring Training games

SCF Rewards
    Country

That's all true but some of those big names above were at games. I've heard February practices can be tough too so it's not like you're ever guaranteed to get anyone.

3 years running I've gotten some of the biggest names in the sport after the spring games started only bc my schedule lets me go in march not February.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I would be interested to hear how you guys landed autographs during Cactus League both at games and at practice grounds? I'm not sure I would do it myself, but I'm definitely curious since I've gotten so familiar with Cactus League over the last few years.

When you say "at games", are you talking about hanging out by the dugout before the game starts?

When you say "at practice fields", I can remember walking the grounds and seeing practice fields at both Camelback and Salt River Fields/Talking Stick. But I'm not sure what your approach is. Is it OK to wander around practice fields???

I'm debating whether to return to Cactus League this year. I'd love to go.

SCF Rewards
    Country

its really all about luck and being in the right place at the right time, but if you PM me i could try to help a bit. But yes, the practice fields are open to the public.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I would be interested to hear how you guys landed autographs during Cactus League both at games and at practice grounds? I'm not sure I would do it myself, but I'm definitely curious since I've gotten so familiar with Cactus League over the last few years.

When you say "at games", are you talking about hanging out by the dugout before the game starts?

When you say "at practice fields", I can remember walking the grounds and seeing practice fields at both Camelback and Salt River Fields/Talking Stick. But I'm not sure what your approach is. Is it OK to wander around practice fields???

I'm debating whether to return to Cactus League this year. I'd love to go.

If you look at Google Maps and see Surprise stadium, look directly south and you will see 2 fields then 4 more to the west of those 2. Those are the Rangers practice field. They are open to the public (I believe 10am) and the players are walking back and forth between all those fields. Most ot the auto my kids got were inbetween those fields.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast