Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See automatondroid's Items on eBay

An Upper Deck The Cup blunder

I'm not really pro- or anti- one company over another so this isn't really Upper Deck bashing, but I couldn't help point out this embarrassment. Saw this on my usual Clark Gillies saved search and initially thought, "Wow! I'm gonna have to try to sell some stuff quickly so I can try to land this one."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201213-Upper-Deck-The-Cup-Property-Of-Clark-Gillies-11-/161273056255

Upon closer inspection I've decided that this is just one more 1/1 that I'll never get since while I'm an obsessive Gillies collector I'm not much of a fan of Mike Gillis or Paul Gillis or whoever it really was that used this stick. It would be pretty funny if it's Mike Gillis after this week! Just disappointing, but at least I'll save some money. I have gotten some steals searching for misspellings like "giles" or "gillis" but that's always been errors in the listing not on the card.

At least I can rest easy knowing the stick pieces in the Stickwork cards I picked up were 99.9% actually used by Clark.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See habs1909_2009's Items on eBay

wow good eyes there, any chance the stick was Clark but mispelled?
    1- P.K Subban - Vlad Guerrero (Expos)
    2- Montreal Canadiens Centennial auto'd (current count: 125)
    3- Brian Gionta 10-11 Panini Certified Mirror Emerald, Black and Big men jersey auto
    Hidden Content

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I don't understand what the issue is here and why you're pinning it on Upper Deck. They didn't mark his stick as such. Lots of TEAMS make errors when it comes to equipment, and not all players necessarily get their name stamped on the card.

Examples:

Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Yup happens to jerseys as well:

SCF Rewards
    Country

I'm not really pro- or anti- one company over another so this isn't really Upper Deck bashing, but I couldn't help point out this embarrassment. Saw this on my usual Clark Gillies saved search and initially thought, "Wow! I'm gonna have to try to sell some stuff quickly so I can try to land this one."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201213-Upper-Deck-The-Cup-Property-Of-Clark-Gillies-11-/161273056255

Upon closer inspection I've decided that this is just one more 1/1 that I'll never get since while I'm an obsessive Gillies collector I'm not much of a fan of Mike Gillis or Paul Gillis or whoever it really was that used this stick. It would be pretty funny if it's Mike Gillis after this week! Just disappointing, but at least I'll save some money. I have gotten some steals searching for misspellings like "giles" or "gillis" but that's always been errors in the listing not on the card.

At least I can rest easy knowing the stick pieces in the Stickwork cards I picked up were 99.9% actually used by Clark.

stickwork is airbrushed trash man. Most likely someone mispelled it not UD.

BANNED

Country
    See skatesave's Items on eBay

I don't think that that is misspelled, It belongs to somebody else. Mike or Paul Gillis. There is no auto of Clarky on this card, because he would have not let that be released were he to have signed it. Clarky would have called them immediately and shown them the error.

What you have is people in a position, that know nothing about the Sport of Hockey, or it's players in charge of some very sensitive items.

SCF Rewards
    Country

It's not an Upper Deck error, it's misspelled. This is the stick it came from.

http://www.gamewornauctions.net/prod...-6095-150.html

Last edited by Rockin Robbie; 04-11-2014 at 03:21 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Nice find Rockin Robbie! Not sure if there's any photos out there that would allow a definitive photo-match of Gillies using the stick in question, but Getty at least has one good shot of him using this model: http://www.gettyimages.ca/detail/new...hoto/55971827#
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit the home of the Daniel and Henrik Sedin Collection Hidden Content
    Most Wanted List
    14-15 Masterpieces Sawchuk Red Stick x/35, Barber Black Stick x/25
    Any Sedin 1/1 or game worn letter
    Any Lord Stanley's Mug 1/1

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See automatondroid's Items on eBay

I stand corrected. And while I was pointing it out as an assumed Upper Deck error I wasn't bashing UD. I buy way more Upper Deck boxes and singles than any other company. Thanks for pointing out my error and providing the extra info. Looks like I'm the jacka$$ that drew more attention to this auction and definitely put it out of my price range.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I don't think that that is misspelled, It belongs to somebody else. Mike or Paul Gillis. There is no auto of Clarky on this card, because he would have not let that be released were he to have signed it. Clarky would have called them immediately and shown them the error.

What you have is people in a position, that know nothing about the Sport of Hockey, or it's players in charge of some very sensitive items.

It's not an Upper Deck error, it's misspelled. This is the stick it came from.

http://www.gamewornauctions.net/prod...-6095-150.html

Wanna try that one again?