Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

A Salute to Prime: A Player Collector's Dream

Hi everyone,

Firstly, I hope nobody takes this the wrong way. This is NOT a commentary on why one company is better than the others or about who makes the best product. This is simply a tip-of-the-hat to a product that, in my opinion, has brought something back to collecting.

For all you kids out there, let me tell you that the hobby wasn't always like this. There was a time when a patch card was a REALLY big deal (heck, even a time when a jersey piece was something to write home about). However, over the years, we've seen countless products come and go and bring the same value proposition with a variety of patch cards that are all essentially the same. As a group, we collectively got tired of these cards and the subsequent effect was a gradual movement away from collecting "standard old patches".

Enter Panini Prime.

Panini wasn't the first to create the magnificent jumbo patches that they've become known for. ITG has a number of products that have these cards and SPGU has their own similar subset. What Prime did, however, was make these cards accessible. ITG makes their giant patches /9 (or less) and nearly impossible to hit but Prime has plenty more patches that will give anyone the opportunity to add a beauty to their PC and I think that shows a certain level of understanding on Panini's part of the changing collecting environment. This product has done a great job of keeping it's ears to the streets and giving collectors something to be excited about again.

Anyways, I just wanted to say thank you to Panini for giving Player collectors (who collect the same auto/patches from the same sets every year) the opportunity to have something new to chase and proudly collect. After all, that's what this hobby is all about.

Let me know what y'all think!

Exhibit A: Rask logo patch from front of jersey (unique puck marks)

Regards,

Matt
    Last edited by tuukkatime; 08-13-2014 at 10:55 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (321)
    Country

Posts like this definitely make us feel better. Can't tell you how great a few words of support and positivity go in this hobby for our side of the table. Glad you were able to add that card to you collection and thanks for your support! We'll definitely miss you next year.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Stick tap to OP for this thread.

I collect a guy that isn't exactly a superstar. Solid, reliable, sure, but not a guy that gets on the marquee or moves tickets at the box office or products at the LCS.

Every year that Prime has been produced there have been Josh Gorges cards in it.

Triple jerseys/Prime jerseys/Patches.
    Logos.
    Numbers.
    Jersey tags.
    Seams.
    Captain's Letters.

And there's this year's stuff....still working on that. :)

These cards are easily the most stunning pieces in my collection featuring him as a member of the Canadiens. There's a couple pretty nice Upper Deck ones, too, but these pieces take the cake and devour it, too.

Most people out there, those that don't know me at least, would pull one of these and likely be cheesed that their "box/case" hit was Josh Gorges. To me, those cards are the centrepieces of a collection. Something for everybody and I truly feel like these cards are "made for me" so to speak.

So yes, Prime is a Player Collector's Dream.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

I originally thought PRIME was stupid...silly big patches and nothing else but now I love it. Makes it great that they are game used and very unique patches.

I was at LCS today and saw UD Black "K" /299....lol
    Read back...said manufactured patch obviously. ..

This is the only set were every player can have value and be collectible.

Is there any old pens logos out there?

Can someone tell what part of the patch this is from?

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See frozeninfernocollectibles's Items on eBay

I originally thought PRIME was stupid...silly big patches and nothing else but now I love it. Makes it great that they are game used and very unique patches.

I was at LCS today and saw UD Black "K" /299....lol
    Read back...said manufactured patch obviously. ..

This is the only set were every player can have value and be collectible.

Is there any old pens logos out there?

Can someone tell what part of the patch this is from?

It's from a Nashville Predators logo.

I LOVE Prime, I'm going to miss this product most of all.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Jose Sharks Washington Capitals
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

. There was a time when a patch card was a REALLY big deal

There was a time when a "base" rookie card was a really big deal! Now companies, as often as not, don't even bother making them. I was always amazed at the people who only collected to try to make money (a losing proposition almost 99.9% of the time), but I usually ignored them and continued to collect my team. However, now they are getting so far into the "every card needs to have an auto/jersey on it, it makes it nearly impossible to collect team sets anymore, and you have to constantly make the decision, "Do I want to buy a pack of cards, or do I want to eat lunch?"

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Jose Sharks Washington Capitals
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I originally thought PRIME was stupid...silly big patches and nothing else but now I love it. Makes it great that they are game used

They aren't ALL game used. The Namesakes certainly aren't.

SCF Rewards
    Country

They aren't ALL game used. The Namesakes certainly aren't.

True and the rookies I'm sure aren't either but a large portion is game used...