Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

Possible Goldmine, Huge Endeavor, Need Help but Could be Fun!

Hi, I've recently come across a pretty large load of cards. I collected cards in the early 90's when everyone did, and now i see that there are a gazillion types of cards. I've gone through them and researched the ones i think I need to know more about, and I'll be looking to sell most as I can use the dough, but possibly keep a couple that people in the know think would be worth keeping. I was wondering if you guys would come along on the journey as I search the boxes and let me know realistically what you might pay for these cards. There are Ones that date as far back as Orr, I've surpassed the 90's stuff completely, but there are countless Upper Deck Rookies, so far it looks to me like the "Young Guns" have the most Value. There are also countless Jersey Cards. The coveted Crosby Young Guns Is there, #201. I guess my first question is: is there ANYTHING from the early 90's i should be aware of that holds value, or the 90's at all for that matter. Thanks, i would really appreciate some ongoing help with this endeavor.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@oldtimehockey29 See joeaverage67's Items on eBay

Oh man. First off, congrats!

Secondly, that's a huge question. The early 90's, not so much really. The mid and later 90's, some of the Score and Pinnacle brand parallels go for pretty amazingly decent $$$. Some of the Pacific inserts are worth a bit too. Without seeing the huge piles I really have no idea, but I don't really do much at work all day long, if you want to show off some scans or PM me some lists maybe I can help out a bit....

OH THE FUN OF IT ALL!!!!!!

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks for the reply! Do you have an email I could reach you at or should we keep the fun public? Let's start with the ones I currently have listed. Crosby Young Guns Upper Deck Rookie #201, Nash Young guns #232, Crosby Phenomenal Beginnings entire set 1-20, Carey Price Young Guns #YG-2 Oversized, Tavares Oversized Young Guns still sealed #XL-7, Malkin Upper Deck Ovation #192 Rookie. Those are some I think might have some value and will keep you going if you are willing to comment on any. I am also curious about A Jagr OPC Premiere Rookie, A Sakic OPC #113 Rookie, and Bobby Orr #248 and #240 Art Ross and Norris Card from 70/71. This is a pot pourri to start off haha, I don't expect anyone to do work for me, I have researched them all but there are so many different prices for everything. I'm really looking to sell but not get taken, and save what would be stupid to sell. They all seem to be in mint, or NM, they have been very well taken care of. I would love to know what you would realistically pay for them ungraded by a professional, and posted them privately. Thanks Again!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See alternateego's Items on eBay

realistically speaking, it really depends on you. only you know what you've got invested in the cards. take that into account and either buy the online price guide or buy a Beckett, not the monthly one, the more comprehensive one, looks like a small phone book thick one and start cataloging everything. I myself would only browse through the 90's stuff since much of it was way over produced, hardly any of it carries any real value and go from there. just my .02 cents

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

90s is always an interesting one.... it's written off as "worthless" by a lot of people, but there is value in there if you know what to look for. Anything low serial numbered (that would be more mid-late 90s) can still have very good value. Same with pretty much anything that was a really rare pull. Even good ol' Proset has value, if you know what to look for (errors and variants can sell for 100s of dollars).

Some of the specific cards you mentioned: The Crosby YG will get into the $250 range. The Nash should hit $200. I'm afraid you're not sitting on much with the Phenomenal Beginnings set.... can buy that set for $25 + ship on eBay no problem... and probably a little cheaper still if you're patient. The Oversized YGs aren't the best of sellers - what keeps the value in YGs high is their collectability as part of UD's most popular set, and the oversized ones don't have that. They're not junk, but they're not as valuable as the regular sized cards would be. Ovation isn't worth much either.

The 70s Orr cards, if they're in nice shape, you've probably got something there. Orr is always popular (witch means $$$) and 70/71 is pretty old. I would think there is some good value. The Sakic & Jagr you mentioned - not so much. I think I paid $15 for an entire set of 90-91 OPC Premier about a year ago. 89-90 OPC has little value to it. If you were setting up at a show, you'd probably have to put both of them (Sakic and Jagr) into a "2 for $5" bin to have any chance at moving them.

Sounds like you've got some fun to look forward to. That's a nice cross section of years, and if it's a big collection.... lot of fun to go through it.

SCF Rewards
    Country

thanks so much for the replies! If the Orr's were mint, what is a reasonable price for each?

SCF Rewards
    Country

I've decided to post these on Ebay as I go, I've been told it's probably the best idea and the most fun. Anyone interested can check out what I post and follow the journey. Anyone in here will probably get first chance because I've never used EBAY and don't know if people buy from new users. Anyway, my name is Peterpuck2015 , have a look. I started Low with the Phenomenal Beginnings set, starting bid is 20 bucks.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Boston Bruins
    See JHIA8234's Items on eBay Upper Deck ePack

Hate to crash the party but you'll likely need to go lower on the Crosby set. I won't name the online retailer in this post (feel free to PM me if you're curious) but you can buy the set brand new and unopened for $12.95.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks, don't worry about crashing the party, that is exactly what I'm looking for. I'll make it an open bid, I'm basically just looking to get the first sale out of the way so I'm not looking to the Crosby set to make me rich lol. Thanks Again..I've got TONNES to go through so stay tuned please.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Boston Bruins
    See JHIA8234's Items on eBay Upper Deck ePack

Sounds like a lot of fun, good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast