Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I think I agree with you. I'm not sure why people act like they know for sure that Bush would have done so. I know those posters have such a hatred for Obama they will claim anyone else would have made exactly the right move, but I just don't see it.

The Ukraine issue is definitely a tricky situation. I'm no military expert but I assume that things are not as cut and dried as a lot of people seem to think. Everyone has the right to their opinion but it's way more complicated than us arm chair quarterbacks know.

Bush didn't even go into Iraq without Congress' approval, so clearly he wouldn't have just gone into Ukraine. When I say he would have taken action I am speaking about Russia sending bombers that carry nukes to within a few minutes of our airspace. There is no doubt he would have warned Putin of his willingness to use force and would have displayed a show of force if Putin persisted in sending them.

I think the biggest issue with Ukraine was reliable info. Russia said they were not in Ukraine, Ukraine said they were. The best evidence we had was some poor quality satellite images of what appeared to be Russian artillery in Ukraine. When it became clear that they were lending support to rebel forces NATO sanctioned Russia. Personally I found the sanctions to be hypocritical. NATO and the US gives financial and military weapon support to rebels that are promoting our cause all the time. Who are we to judge?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Star_Cards's Items on eBay

Are we certain that the U.S. hasn't communicated with Russia about the bombers? I can't imagine that there hasn't been a discussion.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Are we certain that the U.S. hasn't communicated with Russia about the bombers? I can't imagine that there hasn't been a discussion.

I am assuming there hasn't been much of a discussion or I would think the White House would have made some form of statement on it. I can't find any "official" statement about it, only one statement from a "senior US military official". I just read that Russia plans on making this a part of their regular patrols, not just a one-time thing.
    Last edited by duane1969; 11-14-2014 at 11:10 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Star_Cards's Items on eBay

I am assuming there hasn't been much of a discussion or I would think the White House would have made some form of statement on it. I can't find any "official" statement about it, only one statement from a "senior US military official". I just read that Russia plans on making this a part of their regular patrols, not just a one-time thing.

would they have made an official statement? from what I've read this sort of thing happens from time to time.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

would they have made an official statement? from what I've read this sort of thing happens from time to time.

As much attention as this is getting I would think they would or at least there would be some form of a story regarding a response, a phone call between Obama and Putin...something other than just an unnamed military person making a random comment.

SCF Rewards
    Country

There is no doubt he would have warned Putin of his willingness to use force and would have displayed a show of force if Putin persisted in sending them.

Sometimes the best way to avoid a fight is for the other party to know that you will kick their tail if they try anything.

Weakness and constant appeasement take this option off the table for Obama.

I fear Putin will push the envelope much further.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Denver Broncos Montreal Canadiens Milwaukee Brewers
    See dmdean81's Items on eBay

Sometimes the best way to avoid a fight is for the other party to know that you will kick their tail if they try anything.

Weakness and constant appeasement take this option off the table for Obama.

I fear Putin will push the envelope much further.

Is that what Russia is doing to us? Letting us know if we try anything they have firepower all over the world?

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Is that what Russia is doing to us? Letting us know if we try anything they have firepower all over the world?

Not in my opinion. We have made no military threats towards them and have even said that any intervention in Ukraine would have to be a NATO or UN action. This grandstanding towards us is unwarranted. Flying bombers that carry nuclear missiles to within 50 miles of US airspace is a threat, not a response to a threat received.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Miami Dolphins New York Mets Miami Heat
    See FLIHGH's Items on eBay

I scanned quickly through the thread, but didn't see this mentioned...how is this any different than the US having based in hundreds of other countries?

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country
    See habsheaven's Items on eBay

Putin is just pumping up his base. They feed off of the US reaction to stuff like this. No different than what you see at home when a Republican is in office.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast