Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    See anth-toop's Items on eBay

Name five reasons I should stay in the hobby

Hi folks,

Happy 2015!

As another year begins, my collecting days are winding down.

When I acquire the cards remaining on my wantlist, I plan on retiring. In short form, here are my reasons:

1. Cards are starting to have ridiculous things put in them (Hair? Really?? Good grief!!).

2. Many people have abandoned BV and sometimes overvalue cards (This is a HOBBY, it should not be about profit AT ALL). I don't think it is fair to send 2x BV for a patch card, for example, because it looks nice. I don't have the inventory to do this.

3. I don't live near my 'local' card shop (it's 2.5 to 3 hours away) and buying a box of cards isn't worth it.

4. I don't have (and won't be getting) PayPal or a credit card.

5. Shipping is getting expensive.

Now comes YOUR challenge:

I want you folks to give me five solid reasons why I should continue collecting.

I don't want you to debate or trash the merits of my reasons; I am just looking for five honest reasons why I should continue.

Go!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens
    Twitter: @MTLSimon11

Without getting into someone else's head, it's near impossible to give them reasons why they should or shouldn't do something. It really all boils down to one reason...you enjoy it, or you don't. If it's no longer fun, take an indefinite break. I'd hold off on selling anything off, though. Don't want to part with anything you might regret later. Either way, good luck in your decision!

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs

Without getting into someone else's head, it's near impossible to give them reasons why they should or shouldn't do something. It really all boils down to one reason...you enjoy it, or you don't. If it's no longer fun, take an indefinite break. I'd hold off on selling anything off, though. Don't want to part with anything you might regret later. Either way, good luck in your decision!

I just listed what's in my head.

I enjoy the HOBBY of collecting, but I find that a great number of people view this as a business. I don't think cards were ever meant to be about profit.

This is merely a pros/cons thread. I listed the cons and now I'm looking for positives.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (115)
    Country
    See neilnijjar12's Items on eBay

In my opinion if you need someone to tell you why to stay in the hobby, well maybe you shouldnt and a break is needed.

However for the purpose of the thread:

simple yes or no questions - answer yes its a pro, answer no its a con

- Do you enjoy it?
    - Have you made friends and contacts within the hobby that you enjoy?
    - Do you have the financial means to continue the way you collect?
    - Is there something out there that interests you - sets, players, etc...?

SCF Rewards
    Country

I don't think you should stay, if you are not willing to get PP or a CC you aren't built for the way the hobby works these days. There are not enough collectors to have small regional shows. IMO the hobby is more open today then it's ever been and cards are dirt cheap - look at past Ebay sales, you can buy beautiful cards that came out of $500 boxes for pennies on the dollar.

I also think your expectations are way out of line. This and ALL hobbies have always had a for profit motivation. The convenience store owner selling packs in the 50's wasn't doing it for any greater cause then trying to improve his bottom line. Topps, OPC and UD have always been for profit companies. The mail order dealers in the 70s and 80s were feeding their families on card sales, and there are lots of mid sized dealers that get by today based on card sales. I don't see any problem with folks trying to maximize the return on their collection, if you don't like a deal you can always turn it down. That's what we did in the 80s with packs of OPC hockey, we were all trying to get the best deal on a trade.

I think you are longing for a past that never existed, unless you can point me to a time when shop owners gave cards away for free and you could trade a Granato for a Gretzky.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs

I don't think you should stay, if you are not willing to get PP or a CC you aren't built for the way the hobby works these days. There are not enough collectors to have small regional shows. IMO the hobby is more open today then it's ever been and cards are dirt cheap - look at past Ebay sales, you can buy beautiful cards that came out of $500 boxes for pennies on the dollar.

I also think your expectations are way out of line. This and ALL hobbies have always had a for profit motivation. The convenience store owner selling packs in the 50's wasn't doing it for any greater cause then trying to improve his bottom line. Topps, OPC and UD have always been for profit companies. The mail order dealers in the 70s and 80s were feeding their families on card sales, and there are lots of mid sized dealers that get by today based on card sales. I don't see any problem with folks trying to maximize the return on their collection, if you don't like a deal you can always turn it down. That's what we did in the 80s with packs of OPC hockey, we were all trying to get the best deal on a trade.

I think you are longing for a past that never existed, unless you can point me to a time when shop owners gave cards away for free and you could trade a Granato for a Gretzky.

I never bought cards from my LCS so this argument does not apply to me. I started in 1990 LOL.

I live on a fixed income and my account is monitored. If my account goes over a certain amount, I get penalized. If I get PayPal or a credit card, I will be busted for sure. I am not putting my future in jeopardy for a credit card or PayPal account.

What's wrong with hidden cash, sent with tracked shipping?

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs

In my opinion if you need someone to tell you why to stay in the hobby, well maybe you shouldnt and a break is needed.

However for the purpose of the thread:

simple yes or no questions - answer yes its a pro, answer no its a con

- Do you enjoy it?
    - Have you made friends and contacts within the hobby that you enjoy?
    - Do you have the financial means to continue the way you collect?
    - Is there something out there that interests you - sets, players, etc...?

These are four solid questions.

The answers are as follows:

- Do you enjoy it? - IMMENSELY
    - Have you made friends and contacts within the hobby that you enjoy? YES
    - Do you have the financial means to continue the way you collect? YES, if people are fair. Unfortunately, some are not.
    - Is there something out there that interests you - sets, players, etc...? YES

Your second question causes the biggest issue.

As I stated, some collectors overvalue cards.

I collect one type of cards - mid-range rookie cards. My main focus is SP Authentic unless a player doesn't have an SP Authentic rookie. The problem is FWA redemptions. To me, the card itself is FAR more valuable than the code. I understand paying $200+ for, say, Nathan MacKinnon. But $150+ for Rasmus Ristolainen?? REALLY? He isn't THAT good.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Antonio Spurs
    Twitter: @pwskelly See pwskelly's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

As others have already noted, if you need others to give you reasons to stay in the hobby maybe its time for a break.

That said I am willing to share 5 reasons why I still collect:

1) I enjoy hunting for cards I need.
    2) I enjoy haggling over prices/trades, the art of the deal.
    3) I enjoy the sense of accomplishment once a set is completed.
    4) I enjoy showing off my collection to others.
    5) I enjoy picking up the odd card and selling them years later for a huge profit, however rare that might be.

Hidden Content

Collecting Mike Liut, Andrei Markov
    and Montréal Canadiens.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs

As others have already noted, if you need others to give you reasons to stay in the hobby maybe its time for a break.

That said I am willing to share 5 reasons why I still collect:

1) I enjoy hunting for cards I need.
    2) I enjoy haggling over prices/trades, the art of the deal.
    3) I enjoy the sense of accomplishment once a set is completed.
    4) I enjoy showing off my collection to others.
    5) I enjoy picking up the odd card and selling them years later for a huge profit, however rare that might be.

I agree with the first four you list, totally!

Here's the difference though: If I buy a card for $20 and sell it for $100, I feel guilty

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See 13stepper's Items on eBay

The purpose of this thread is really unusual. With that being said, so that I may be sure I fully understand exactly the types of responses your looking for I will relay how I currently understand it and hopefully you can correct me if I'm wrong. You would like other people to sell you on why you should continue on this hobby?

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast