Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See kyotesportskards's Items on eBay

High School Baseball - wood bats

My son started 7th grade baseball this year and I was wondering if anyone had experience with wood bats. What are the pros, etc. In the material that I've read, a wood bat may not have the pop but it also teaches kids that they can't cheat the strike zone.

Thanks!

SCF Rewards
    Country

He will definitely learn to lay off the inside ones! They do break even if you hit it right sometimes, but at his age he may not have the power or opposing pitch speed needed to break many. It'll teach him good form, selfless hitting (not trying for the fence every time), and strike zone discipline. Good swings first! Just my opinion though. ..

SCF Rewards
    Country

Those are my thoughts as well. I'm not sure that the coaches agree with me but they aren't opposed to him using one either. I appreciate the reply!

SCF Rewards
    Country

I play in a mens league that switched to wood a few years back. Ive taken the past two off to heal but plan on playing in the fall. At first I missed the aluminum, but the more I played using wood, more I appreciated it. You get instant feedback the second you make contact as to how good/ugly your swing was. You wont get away with much ;).I know coaches that practice with wood but swap to aluminum for games. Maybe thats an option. ..

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See RO003DO's Items on eBay

I like the idea of practicing with wood and using aluminum for the games simply because it will put him at a disadvantage during the game using wood. Two players of equal ability one using a wood bat and one using an aluminum bat. The one with the aluminum bat will end with slightly better statistics if everything else is equal. Slightly better statistics can mean a lot if they plan to play in college.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I talked to the coach and that's the conclusion we came to as well. I think it will help him in the long term but won't hurt him in the games like you guys suggested. Appreciate the advice guys, now to find him a bat! :)

SCF Rewards
    Country

Lots of guys in my league go to batsandbillets.com because theyre custom order and you can get several lines of personalization added; like their number, team, and name. Pretty reasonable on price too. I checked the site and got redirected, but I believe its still the same company. Otherwise its all preference. We all mostly use maple as well if that matters.