Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

The forgotten story of ... Herbert Carnegie's attempt to break ice hockey's color bar

There is only one Jackie Robinson, of course. A player who didn’t just break a color line but broke the color line. Perhaps because baseball dominated the sporting landscape in 1947, and the impact that Robinson’s Brooklyn Dodgers debut would have on the civil rights movement, No42 was, and continues to be, the unchallenged flag-bearer for the integration of North American sports. Others, including Earl Lloyd, who recently died at age 86, and broke the National Basketball Association’s color line in 1950, are footnotes in their respective sports – far less celebrated, with no sign of a coming Hollywood biopic.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/201...-color-barrier

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Oakland Raiders Miami (FL) Hurricanes
    See Zuback's Items on eBay

Great Story. Unfortunate that he lived during a period such as he did during his career. However. He did go on to still be an outstanding person and do many things. The company I work for Investors Group has an annual award named after him that continues to carry on his name and legacy.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Great Story. Unfortunate that he lived during a period such as he did during his career. However. He did go on to still be an outstanding person and do many things. The company I work for Investors Group has an annual award named after him that continues to carry on his name and legacy.

What exactly does the award do to further his legacy? Thanks!

Don
    Last edited by doniceage; 02-27-2017 at 02:31 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

@bibitte2

HOW did you stumble across this thread lol?

DON

SCF Rewards
    Country

I have a Jackie Robinson collection so Herb Carnegie is a big deal for me....was just looking around to find info on tha man

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I have a Jackie Robinson collection so Herb Carnegie is a big deal for me....was just looking around to find info on tha man

What other information did you find out about H.C.?
    @bibitte2

Don

SCF Rewards
    Country

NOT much so far, I am only starting with him...