Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (162)
    Country
    See timber-9's Items on eBay

Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief - HBO Documentary

I am thankful that there is a spot where these topics can be discussed by those that share a hobby.

My wife and I just finished watching this documentary this evening. We have two kids so we have now reached the point in life where it takes two evenings to watch a movie/documentary which, in and of itself, is a little bit sad. Anyway, I digress.

With all of the talk about Indiana, religious laws and such - this seems like a good time for this film. Scientology is an interesting "religion" (as so qualified here in the US).

Please take a couple hours to watch this film as there are many parallels that can be made, not just in the religious community but in those communities where the entity itself grows too powerful to allow proper checks and balances on itself.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4257858/

SCF Rewards
    Country

Saw it, and nothing within the documentary surprised me.

Scientology is one of the biggest cults ever created, and the way they operate and treat their members is scary.

The thing that sometimes gets me is that....when I was in my last years of being a christian I remember seeing a small scale documentary of Scientology (probably by BBC), and I easily could tell all the wrong things with this religion/belief.

It was so obvious.

But it took a few more years to finally have my own "awakening" about my own beliefs.

When I was seeing this new HBO documentary, and all the ex-members start talking about why it took them so long to get out.....I can relate to that.

And the way they view Scientology today, is the way I view Christianity.....with deep disdain.

I feel robbed and cheated.

I truly believed what they told me....I didn't want to examine the criticisms of Christianity for so long because to do so was to bring doubt into my mind and I didn't want to doubt god, I was so scared of Hell....I really was, I would pray for guidance and revelation, I really did, nothing ever happened.

I'm not here to compare the two, because that's not fair, it's painfully obvious to see that Scientology is worst....a LOT worst, my family is STILL evangelical and they don't shun me because I left the faith, they didn't disassociate with me the way the families of scientologists did, and overall I still have a good relationship with them.

But, the actual religion and ideology is something I can't forgive.
    Last edited by JustAlex; 04-05-2015 at 09:47 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (10) The Bench
    Country
    See jlzinck's Items on eBay

I'm not here to compare the two.

Nope just another venue for you to bash Christians.

You really have to wonder what they have on Travolta and Cruise.

They are some scary people.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Star_Cards's Items on eBay

I haven't watched this documentary yet, but it's on my radar. I did read a post on Mike Rowe's facebook page about a person he's worked with who is in the film. She got out of the organization. Some of the stuff he posted was rather shocking but I didn't know a lot about scientology. It seemed like they are pretty cultish, but I'll have to form my opinion after seeing the film.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (205)
    Country
    See habsheaven's Items on eBay

I think there is a direct correlation between a religion's perceived credibility and the age of the religion. In reality, NONE are any more credible than the other.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Star_Cards's Items on eBay

I'd agree with that.

SCF Rewards
    Country

While I think these people are a little weird I don't really see the big deal with them. Have they killed anybody, started wars, caused havoc in countries, negatively effected my life in anyway? Not really.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/