Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Man flies gyro-copter onto Capitol lawn in protest against campaign funding

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...itol-lawn.html

The Florida mailman who caused a major security scare when he landed his gyro-copter on the US Capitol lawn on Wednesday afternoon was just seconds from being shot out of the sky.

House Homeland Security panel Chairman Michael McCaul revealed that Capitol authorities had Doug Hughes, 61, in their sights and were prepared to open fire.

'Had it gotten any closer to the speaker's balcony they have long guns to take it down, but it didn't. It landed right in front,' McCaul said about the flight which was undetected until authorities actually saw the craft approach.

However, Hughes claims he informed the Secret Service and Capitol police of his potentially lethal stunt into the no-fly zone, which was designed to draw attention to campaign finance reform and government corruption.

Speaking prior to the flight and just days after a man shot himself dead in front of the Capitol on Saturday causing panic, Hughes appeared confident he would survive his 'insane' protest.

'I don't believe that the authorities are going to shoot down a 61-year-old mailman in a flying bicycle,' said Hughes of the latest embarrassment for White House and Capitol security.

Indeed, NORAD reported that they did not scramble any assets and were not informed of the flight until it had landed.

And local Washington D.C. response helicopter units designed to deal with slow moving targets admitted they did not react either.

Doug Hughes' close friend Mike Shanahan, said today that the Hughes is not a terrorist and did not mean any harm with his protest.

'I was scared to death they were going to kill him,' Shanahan said to the Tampa Bay Times. 'My thanks goes out to whomever it was who decided not to pull the trigger.'

The mailman's flight to raise awareness for campaign finance reform and donation caps caused the Capitol to go into lockdown as stunned members of the public watched him land his single-seat gyro-copter around 2pm and breach the No-Fly 'P56-Zone'.

'He has no weapons or anything else,' said Michael Shanahan to CNN. 'I know him personally. He's like a pitbull when he has an idea. He wants to wake up the country.'

Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country

I don't believe that the authorities are going to shoot down a 61-year-old mailman in a flying bicycle,' said Hughes of the latest embarrassment for White House and Capitol security.
    I'm not sure I would call it a security embarrassment.....what I would call it is another dumb person looking to get into the spotlight..GOOD JOB!!.....just thank your lucky stars they didn't take you out.....but anyway...good job getting arrested.....hope it was worth it!!!!!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Star_Cards's Items on eBay

I'm all for opening discussion about campaign finance reform. I just don't see how flying into a no fly zone at the capitol as the best way to do that. I suppose he's getting his word out at the moment but why cause yourself this much legal trouble to do so?

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I'm all for opening discussion about campaign finance reform. I just don't see how flying into a no fly zone at the capitol as the best way to do that. I suppose he's getting his word out at the moment but why cause yourself this much legal trouble to do so?

+1

All I could think when I read this is "What the heck does flying a little helicopter into the no-fly zone have to do with campaign finance reform?"

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Star_Cards's Items on eBay

I know right? He didn't even have a banner on that thing!

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Rofl