Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thread: New Member New Jersey

SCF Rewards
    Country

New Member New Jersey

Hey folks, hope everyone's well! I came here hoping to get a little advice. I'm not a collector myself (other than Dan Marino cards and anyone who ever appeared in a NY Mets playoff series) but I'm helping someone out with a semi-large collection of cards. He was a dealer during the 1990s but he's unfortunately in poor health right now.

I was aware going in that most of his cards (I estimate somewhere around 50,000) are useless worthless 1990s spec cards. Massive quantities of Griffeys, Rikpens, Thomas', Bledsoes, Mirers and crap like that. However as I work my way through his boxes I'm uncovering a few real gems. So far I've found (among others) a Jeter 1993 SP rookie, a few ARod rookies, some of the 1993 Topps Finest refractor set (Griffey, Ryan among others), a Jordan 1994 refractor, some early Shaq cards.

The advice I've gotten thus far is that I really need to get the standout cards graded. Which grading service is recommended? What do I need to know about the process? Specifically I'd like to know how much it typically costs, which service is most highly regarded, how long is the turnaround and is it worth the cost and hassle? Also any advice you could offer re: services that do the listing and selling for you on consignment would be helpful. Thanks in advance for any replies!!

To be clear, I'm not soliciting anything other than tips and advice, that's all and maybe learn something along the way!!!
    Last edited by dudemanbro; 05-12-2015 at 01:52 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

First sorry to hear about his poor health.

Second my advice would be to take each card that you think are valuable and the cards you have listed so far are valuable. Go to eBay.com and see what the cards sell for. If a 1993 Topps Finest Ken Griffey Jr refractor card sells $500 not graded but sells for $1000 PSA 9 and $700 BGS 9 for example it would obviously be best to get it graded and to have it graded by PSA.

I can't say to get it graded by this or that or don't get it graded because unfortunately it varies. For example the 1993 SP Derek Jeter sells for more graded by PSA but the 1994 SP Alex Rodriguez sells for more graded by BGS. It would also depend on the condition of the cards. I'm going to guess they are in great shape but if they aren't then it probably won't be worth it to get them graded.

If you have any more questions that you need help with just ask or probably better yet would be to post any specific questions in the baseball card talk forum. There are enough people there to answer any spectrum of question about cards you may need answered. Also obviously if you have a question about a different sport that would go in that specific sports talk forum as well.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks! The cards are all in excellent condition, properly sealed and stored. Doubt they've been touched in 15-16 years at least. Will definitely post in the baseball forum once I get a handle on exactly what I have here, didn't want to violate protocol and not introduce myself!!!!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Atlanta Braves Atlanta Falcons Indianapolis Colts
    See Jeremy12familyguy's Items on eBay

Hello and welcome to SCF.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See Greengoblin782's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders

Hey, Welcome to SCF. Thanks for Joining!

Matthew.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Baltimore Orioles New York Jets New Jersey Devils

Welcome and good luck to another from Jersey. I hope you are able to complete the task you have taken on.

New Member Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Boston Red Sox Philadelphia Eagles Philadelphia Flyers
    Send PayPal to Rybowski Member is PayPal Verified

Welcome to SCF Leonard, enjoy yourself here and sorry to hear about your friend and his health.