Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See jackofalltradesLA's Items on eBay

Where are the SPA hype threads?

SPA is usually one of the biggest releases of the year and this forum seems to be dead about it, other than a few posts about checklists. I'm trying to decide if its worth it this year as boxes are going a bit higher than usual ($105-120 US) rather than the usual $90-100. Anyone else on the fence? Let's hear some chatter.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Before I get destroyed for being a "rip and flip" collector ( I can't even tell you the last product I cracked) - hear me out.

Speaking from an objective view, I can see why people are down about SPA. First off, the CDN dollar being down really hurts, and thus, we see prices of 130-145 CDN locally per box. At that price, how do the rippers even attempt to break even? Let's say you hit a Johnny Hockey FWA, a marquee hit in the product, you are going to essentially break even on a box, and that is with the consensus top rookie in this class. It's a tough, tough break, especially when you compare it to 13-14 SPA, and I think people are starting to see that more and more now.

However, I'd be lying if I said I didn't like the visual appeal of this set. Love the clean, crisp look of the autographs, and always will, but I can see why there are a lot of people who are on the fence more than usual.
    Last edited by Mooche; 06-30-2015 at 06:14 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Connexionhck (72)
    Country
    See thal_corbeil's Items on eBay Instagram:

This is my favorite set, can't wait for this moment of the year for it to come out. I held back this year, will be buying singles for my PC, the dollar hurts us in Canada, the box is close to 150$. The best FWA doesn't pay the box, no money to be made. The cards look great though!

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See jackofalltradesLA's Items on eBay

Before I get destroyed for being a "rip and flip" collector. Let me just tell you I can't even remember the last time I opened product.

Speaking from an objective view, I can see why people are down about SPA. First off, the CDN dollar being down really hurts, and thus, we see prices of 130-145 CDN locally per box. At that price, how do the rippers even attempt to break even? Let's say you hit a Johnny Hockey FWA, a marquee hit in the product, you are going to essentially break even on a box, and that is with the consensus top rookie in this class. It's a tough, tough break, especially when you compare it to 13-14 SPA, and I think people are starting to see that more and more now.

However, I'd be lying if I said I didn't like the visual appeal of this set. Love the clean, crisp look of the autographs, and always will, but I can see why there are a lot of people who are on the fence more than usual.

I'm in the same boat as well. Last product I opened seriously was 13/14 Rookie Anthology, and I mean about 10 boxes. I'm in it for the rip and flip as well so nothing to feel bad about, although I do keep cards for my PC team as long as they fit certain criteria. I didn't realize the Canadian dollar was so low right now and I can't blame box rippers for avoiding SPA given the vary narrow margins. The rookie class is pretty thin outside a few big names so that definitely curbs some of the appeal. UD does appear to have added some value with the Series 2 Update cards too. Unless they are 6-8 patches per case though, the value probably isn't there this year. This could be like 11/12 where there is still lots of product floating around.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Singles for me.

Like the poster said above .... if the top FW Auto Rookie cant break you even on release day .... its a hard sell.

The FW Au RCs look nice, same with the Marks of Distinction and SOTTs ..... but a lower end rookie crop is really going to hurt the product. Other than 12/13 .... I cant think of a weaker crop of rookies ( but the vet content in 12/13 was awesome )
    *** Main PC - Roberto Luongo ***
    *** MOST WANTED - 12/13 PRIME COLORS "PATCH" ROBERTO LUONGO x/8 ***

Flickr ( not updated ) - Hidden Content
    Trade List - Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See samo6575's Items on eBay

Just 1 box for me as well. I usually buy a case of it every year but I didn't in 12-13 and didn't this year because of the weak rookies.

As stated Hard for me to buy it when I know a big loss is on the way. If you get lucky and pull the big guy youll be lucky to break even. Imagine the other boxes.

I love SPA because its usually good return. I also rip and flip unless I hit any Pens so its not worth it this year. I know some of you "collectors" would be upset with us rip and flippers but that's the only way to get the most out of your break. I don't like loosing lot of money and it seems Im not the only one.
    Flickr: Hidden Content

Looking for Penguins, HOF Autos, Vintage Memorabilia. Aswell as any Guentzel and Murray Rookie Autos, Top Player Autos and Always looking for Decent Young Guns

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

If UD doesn't give us much for previews, we can't preview, discuss, and hype.

There are a TON of update cards in here. Just saw a 12-13 Subban Retro auto. This is what hurts the player collector's brain.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Been pouring my money into last years SPA. Will pick up flames singles and 13-14 update cards from this year's set.

Doesnt help that the autos generally look like scribbles. Hard to blame the rookies when they have to sign thousands of autos.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Been pouring my money into last years SPA. Will pick up flames singles and 13-14 update cards from this year's set.

Doesnt help that the autos generally look like scribbles. Hard to blame the rookies when they have to sign thousands of autos.

I don't really subscribe to that. Every player, past and present, has signed hundreds upon hundreds of autographs. Crosby's has remained the same since he was in junior. Price's has actually gotten BETTER the past few years. The legends you can always count on to deliver a near-perfect signature every time.
    As long as it's a consistently-done and -stylized autograph, it's tough to complain too much. Just don't be sloppy.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See 13stepper's Items on eBay

I agree with the dollar not helping the hype levels on this product, my LCS has boxes for $135 plus tax, I'm avoiding like the plague at that price and included rookie crop.

I'm not cracking any this year. I will only keep Gretzky auto's and last year I opened 13 boxes before I finally pulled a Gretzky. I'm attempting a new behavior this year and will snag a couple Gretzkys off SCF or Ebay, I'll most likely save myself about $800 lol.
    Last edited by 13stepper; 07-01-2015 at 08:57 AM.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast