Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Self-made 1/1s -

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Philadelphia Flyers Pittsburgh Penguins
    Twitter: @theAndrewKubat See Venom-86's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Self-made 1/1s -

Came across this "1/1" card from the National Sports Collector's Convention (NSCC): http://www.ebay.com/itm/2003-04-SUPREME-HKY-Ilya-Kovalchuk-NATIONAL-SPORTS-COLLECTORS-CONVENTION-d-1-1-/231735098439?hash=item35f47cfc47:g:1AMAAOxyVaBS8Ba R

In the past I have seen other cards (usually worthless base cards) with NSCC embossing and 1/1 claims and it got me thinking.

Maybe just selling regular cards on eBay isn't the way to go. Maybe I should purchase an embossing tool, or a special sticker, and start "creating" my own 1/1 cards! It would be a great way to get rid of all my base cards. Surely, someone will be naive enough to buy them. Just look at some of the other "rarities" that are selling:

"Gretzky scare 1/3 millhouse style"
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/WAYNE-GRETZKY-scarce-d-1-3-Millhouse-Tobacco-Style-Hockey-card-No-865-/301716938568?hash=item463fbb1f48%3Ag%3APWQAAOSwIBB UbLPm&nma=true&si=2SrOs1bm6JubfZrgfOuNDGwgpzs%253D &orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

"Oddball non tobacco card"
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ERIC-LINDROS-Oddball-Anti-Tobacco-Hockey-Card-FREE-SHIPPING-/400999612849?hash=item5d5d7081b1:g:Cf8AAOSw37tV9Lc y
    Hidden Content
    Collecting: Hidden Content (95% complete) / Hidden Content (88.4% complete) / Eric Lindros (35% complete) / Ilya Kovalchuk (45% complete)...and to a lesser extent...Hidden Content (65% complete) / Hidden Content (48% complete) / Brian Propp (70% complete)

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

There's a couple of things on this topic.

The first one, I have no problem with. If you look at that, you know what it is. Is it any different than UD doing the stamping (or Panini, or Leaf, or previously ITG) ??? I would say "yes" it's different (it's not the manufacturer that's doing the stamping) but it's pretty clear what you're buying (if you want to buy it).

The second two - I don't have an issue with someone making them (I own plenty of homemade cards) but I think the descriptions should be clearer as to what they are.

Sports cards are (in theory) valuable because of their limited availability. We trust the manufacturers to print cards in the quantity they state. If UD says a card is a one of a kind, we've got UD's track record to back that up. Jimmy in his basement? No idea.

The other thing, of course, is that they're being printed without a license of any kind. I suspect that if any of these sellers were making much money, someone would put a stop to it pretty quickly. The NSCC stuff? Those may have been authorized. I have no real facts to back that up - but it occurs to me since the card companies are attendees at the show, they might be authorizing someone to modify their cards for giveaways?

Adding a bunch of foil stamps to your base cards? I wonder how much that would actually cost to do. Could be sitting on a gold mine, lol.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @theAndrewKubat See Venom-86's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Adding a bunch of foil stamps to your base cards? I wonder how much that would actually cost to do. Could be sitting on a gold mine, lol.

I see a new eBay category... Official 30Ranfordfan Certified 1-of-1!

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

For the right price, I'd even autograph them :)

I see a new eBay category... Official 30Ranfordfan Certified 1-of-1!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@oldtimehockey29 See joeaverage67's Items on eBay

IT HAS A PENNY IN IT!!!!!!!

I should just paint a target onto my bald head and sit down in the middle of the floor at the next card show and let people just take my money :/

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Phoenix Coyotes Buffalo Sabres Tampa Bay Rays
    See hunngarr's Items on eBay

The ones with the coins are neat. But at least put a Canadian coin in the Morenz!

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

IT HAS A PENNY IN IT!!!!!!!

I should just paint a target onto my bald head and sit down in the middle of the floor at the next card show and let people just take my money :/

My favorite part on that card....

Registered & Copyrighted! Authenticated Ink. All Rights Reserved.

I'm willing to bet that isn't true, lol

BANNED

Country

This thread is hilarious, I'd love to see Upper Deck release a line with fan submitted card protos.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

This thread is hilarious, I'd love to see Upper Deck release a line with fan submitted card protos.

Don't give them ideas - look at the smashing success of Buybacks. The last thing we need are people sending in Zdeno Chara cards with devil horns drawn on them by RGM81, getting the cards a COA, and then re-sold for big profits.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

To piggyback on this idea, How about a set with cards of fans! Send in a photo of you at the game, in your team gear, showing off your UD collection...

How many packs would you buy to pull a card of yourself! How many copies of that card would you buy to pass off to friends, family, and those people from high school who said you'd never amount to anything!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast