Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thread: Fantasy Hockey Help

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ari4l2010's Items on eBay

Fantasy Hockey Help

Need some fantasy advice guys. It's a 12 team money league 1 year only. I've made a couple of trades already to improve the team but am sitting 7th. I acquired an extra goalie in a trade but gave up a D because there were teams in dire need of a G hence why I am short 1 D spot. I have a deal on the table where I acquire Gaudreau & Ekman-Larrsson FOR Henrique, Teravainen & Rinne/Halak. My question to you is who do I keep? Do I keep Halak and trade Rinne because Halak has been better this year or do I keep Rinne and trade Halak and hope that Rinne turns it around? My other goalie is Mrazek if that helps. Here is my team in full. Would love 3 or 4 opinions. Also need to make a 3 for 2 deal because I have Schwartz being activated this week.

F Gustav Nyquist, Det RW
    F Adam Henrique, NJ C
    F Leon Draisaitl, Edm C
    C Sidney Crosby, Pit C
    C Nathan MacKinnon, Col C
    C Claude Giroux, Phi C
    LW Patrick Sharp, Dal LW, RW
    LW Brock Nelson, NYI C, LW, RW
    LW Teuvo Teravainen, Chi LW
    RW Bobby Ryan, Ott RW
    RW Nail Yakupov, Edm RW
    RW Mikkel Boedker, Ari LW, RW
    D Shea Weber, Nsh D
    D Duncan Keith, Chi D
    D Brian Campbell, Fla D
    D Mike Green, Det D
    D Michael Stone, Ari D
    D

IR Jaden Schwartz*, StL LW
    G Petr Mrazek, Det G
    G Pekka Rinne, Nsh G
    BenchJaroslav Halak, NYI G

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See r.yau27's Items on eBay

It really depends on what scoring format you're using, or if you're playing by category. That being said, I'd hold onto Rinne on first impression. The only real potential issues are either a.) he gets hurts, or b.) the Central is too strong for him to put up amazing stats. You can't go wrong with Mrazek + either of the other two though.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ari4l2010's Items on eBay

Standard H2H matchups.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Toronto Blue Jays Kansas City Chiefs
    See resurrect_my_collect's Items on eBay

What stat categories are counted for both skaters and goalies? I'm a big fantasy player, I'd be happy to help you out, but I'd need to know the scoring stats. :)

If the other party agrees, I would definitely make that trade you proposed, where you'd be getting Gaudreau and Ekman-Larsson for Henrique, Teravainen and a goalie. I'd be inclined to keep Halak myself. Rinne's numbers have been way down this year, and I've read more than one article that talks about how he's just not an elite goalie, even though he's seen as such. He's a nice add for saves, but I'd expect Halak to better him in save percentage, and it's a wash in wins, assuming Halak gets more starts than Greiss down the stretch. If someone else views Rinne as elite, rape him in trade and enjoy your stretch run.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Toronto Blue Jays Kansas City Chiefs
    See resurrect_my_collect's Items on eBay

Another thing... now is a good time to target guys who had injury-plagued or mediocre first halves of the season, from the waiver wire (free agency) or through trade. I find that in fantasy, not enough players consider the law of averages. Most guys will look at lists, look at who has the most points or stats of a certain category, and target that guy. That doesn't always work. For example, Ehlers had a hat-trick last week. What are the chances he has another in the next few, or even the rest of the year? How many hat-tricks does a guy get in a given year? Odds are he's already exhausted his hat-trick this year, so why go and grab him immediately AFTER he just completely a high-scoring feat, when the law of averages suggests he's likely to have a few bad games to balance that. That's just an example.

There are several guys who had bad first halves for one reason or another who could be expected to pick it up a bit in the second half (something veteran players seem to fulfill more than the young guys). Marian Hossa should be targeted. Marian Gaborik has been bad, and I'm not sure he's not damaged goods, I'd avoid. Mark Streit on D I'd target. A lot of time on the IR, still hasn't found his groove, and he's still the Flyers' number one dman and powerplay QB. He could even be a free add if he's available. Benoit Pouliot is playing on a line with McDavid and Eberle, and he stands to benefit greatly from that. Another guy I'd give a long look at. Ryan Kesler had a terrible start and has been much better the last few weeks, check him out as well. Johnny Boychuk just came off the IR, and he takes a lot of shots and should finish with a decent plus/minus. Another good target.

Use dailyfaceoff.com for the lines teams are using, as well as which goalies are starting on a nightly basis.
    Last edited by ravens_creed; 02-08-2016 at 01:39 PM.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I'd be inclined to hang onto Halak, over Rinne. If you asked me at the start of the year.... I'd take Rinne in a heartbeat, but this is not his (or the Preds) season.