Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (117)
    Country

Thoughts On 2015-16 SPX

From what I have read so far most people are not fans of the new SPX product and I just want to get some feedback on what you guys here think. Personally I like SPX every year but I guess the sticker autos turn people away? I like this years design and in the new insert autos are a nice touch and I was thinking about getting a couple of boxes today. So should I go ahead or wait until tomorrow and get Showcase instead???

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See samo6575's Items on eBay

I opened 2 boxes and yes the cards are absolutely stunning. The return value stinks though. Be prepared to take hit unless you get very lucky. Personally I would only open 1 or 2 if you really want to. However I suggest to stay away and save your money.
    Flickr: Hidden Content

Looking for Penguins, HOF Autos, Vintage Memorabilia. Aswell as any Guentzel and Murray Rookie Autos, Top Player Autos and Always looking for Decent Young Guns

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (117)
    Country

The thing with me is that I am not about resale value at all and as long as I don't get totally kicked in the junk I am usually happy. But wasn't Showcase supposed to come out in July or am I missing something here???

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    See anth-toop's Items on eBay

Sticker autos don't bother me in the least. As long as it is a representation of the players signature, perfect. Sticker autos won't fade over time.

Buy whatever interests you. I'm sure you will enjoy opening whatever you buy.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bills Carolina Panthers
    See mondo1132's Items on eBay

It is a nice product, but like others said, do not plan on much of a return. Very nice cards though. I only bought one box, but in that box I got a Trilogy RC, and a Artifacts GU/RC. So also be prepared for cards from other sets (personally that never bothered me, just thought it was weird).
    Please check my inventory before my photobucket!!! It's more up to date!!!
    Looking for LPGA GOLFERS ​and BUFFALO SABRES
    Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    Top Want: 2012 Leaf Metal Anna Nordqvist Award Winners Prism Gold 1/1

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs

It is a nice product, but like others said, do not plan on much of a return. Very nice cards though. I only bought one box, but in that box I got a Trilogy RC, and a Artifacts GU/RC. So also be prepared for cards from other sets (personally that never bothered me, just thought it was weird).

The highlighted statement of yours is the quandary I face in this hobby. I don't understand why people try so hard to get back what they pay. It just won't happen. It's the same thing when you buy a car. As soon as you buy the car and drive it off the lot, it depreciates immediately. If you try to sell that car, you'll never get the amount you paid for it.

If you are willing to pony up big bucks for a high end box and the results are poor, that's the risk collectors take. Just gotta suck it up. But collectors get hooked on the possibility of getting the "big hit". Some people get such a rush trying for the big hit that they spend more than they can afford trying for the big one. At that point, it is no longer a hobby - it is an addiction, and you need help.

It is the reason I don't buy boxes. I would rather spend my money on something I know I'll like.

SCF Rewards
    Country

The highlighted statement of yours is the quandary I face in this hobby. I don't understand why people try so hard to get back what they pay. It just won't happen. It's the same thing when you buy a car. As soon as you buy the car and drive it off the lot, it depreciates immediately. If you try to sell that car, you'll never get the amount you paid for it.

If you are willing to pony up big bucks for a high end box and the results are poor, that's the risk collectors take. Just gotta suck it up. But collectors get hooked on the possibility of getting the "big hit". Some people get such a rush trying for the big hit that they spend more than they can afford trying for the big one. At that point, it is no longer a hobby - it is an addiction, and you need help.

It is the reason I don't buy boxes. I would rather spend my money on something I know I'll like.

I don't buy boxes at all because I see it as a waste of money. I think the issue people have had with this year's SPx is that you struggle to get 10% of what you paid back from most boxes. Pretty sure the majority of people have agreed that, while visually appealing, the product is garbage.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bills Carolina Panthers
    See mondo1132's Items on eBay

Oh, I agree 100%. That's why I bought a box! I'm a collector over a seller. I never got people that worried much on their return on investment. Personally, its just fun to bust a box, maybe its an addiction, but I can be addicted to worse things lol.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs

Oh, I agree 100%. That's why I bought a box! I'm a collector over a seller. I never got people that worried much on their return on investment. Personally, its just fun to bust a box, maybe its an addiction, but I can be addicted to worse things lol.

I stick with singles, rookies mainly. I focus on BGS 9.5 copies exclusively, unless there are no graded copies of a card I need.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Those that bust cases do it for profit more or less, but spx really stinks if u dont land a nice Mcdavid for sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast