Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Making an Edmonton Oilers Frame with cards. Need some help.

Ok, So I am making a custom frame of the Edmonton Oilers. (Below)

It's going to have about 30-40 cards, the logo in the middle, seven pins below the logo (Campbell Conf. Champs 1982-83 banner, 84 cup, 85 cup, 87 cup, 88 cup, 90 cup, 2005-06 West champs) a small plaque below the pins, and a picture of Rexall place.

Here are the players I'd like to include:

Gretzky
    Messier
    Kurri
    Coffee
    Anderson
    Fuhr
    Tikkanen
    Lowe
    Simpson
    Gregg
    Semenko
    Moog
    Huddy
    Hamilton
    Weight
    Grier
    Marchant
    Buchberger
    Joseph
    Salo
    Ranford
    Smyth
    Staios
    Hemsky
    Horcoff
    Gagner
    Cogliano
    Moreau
    Laraque
    Smith
    Niinimaa
    Hall
    Eberle
    Nugent-Hopkins
    McDavid
    Draisaitl
    Nurse
    Rod Phillips
    Glenn Sather

Is there anyone else who would be worthy of inclusion? Is there someone you would remove from the list? I have only picked players who played more than four seasons for the Oilers or had a memorable impact on the team, as well as three "newer" Oilers (McD, Drai, Nurse)

Now, I'd like to use all autograph cards from the 2013-14 UPPER DECK EDMONTON OILERS COLLECTION because they all look similar (colors and style). Trouble is, they didn't make Cards for Steve Staios, Esa Tikkanen or Kevin Lowe. Should I not include them, or use OTHER autographed cards? They would look out of place, I think.

Any ideas or suggestions to make it better are most welcome!

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by battlebeast; 05-12-2016 at 11:15 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I would add yak, he was still a #1 overall draft pick

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ShamaleSands's Items on eBay

I believe Yak will be leaving soon.

What you could do as far having Most autos from the Edmonton Collection is put those ones around the entire outside. Or all of them at the top but have the line where the pins go be the separation between the Edmonton Collection and the rest.

You are basically looking for a separation of colour and contrast. Even if the inside, or bottom were different than the Edmonton Collection I'm thinking you would still need auto cards that are white. Like Sign of the Times, Chirography, Marks of Distinction etc.

The 3 inner-most spots on either side of the Center Logo being a similar Black card with auto might look good as well when surrounded by the Upper Deck Edmonton Oilers Collection Autos.

You may just have to play with it a bit and might have to change the lay-out a bit just to have cohesion in the display.
    Last edited by Cunnuc; 05-13-2016 at 12:08 AM.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I believe Yak will be leaving soon.

What you could do as far having Most autos from the Edmonton Collection is put those ones around the entire outside. Or all of them at the top but have the line where the pins go be the separation between the Edmonton Collection and the rest.

You are basically looking for a separation of colour and contrast. Even if the inside, or bottom were different than the Edmonton Collection I'm thinking you would still need auto cards that are white. Like Sign of the Times, Chirography, Marks of Distinction etc.

The 3 inner-most spots on either side of the Center Logo being a similar Black card with auto might look good as well when surrounded by the Upper Deck Edmonton Oilers Collection Autos.

You may just have to play with it a bit and might have to change the lay-out a bit just to have cohesion in the display.

Thanks. Good Ideas!

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Lowe is going to give you trouble no matter what.... his only auto'd card is a 1994 BAP, so it's going to look strange in that frame no matter what.

I love the topic (I'm an Oilers fan) so I'm going to list who my "top 40" would be:

The obvious HOFers: Gretzky, Messier, Coffey, Kurri, Anderson, Fuhr
    The other Dynasty Guys: Lowe, MacTavish, Semenko, Moog, Tikkanen, Gregg, Huddy
    Late Dynasty / Early 90s: Ranford, Buchberger, Klima, Simpson

(That's 17 so far)

Late 90s teams that always fought Dallas: Weight, Smyth, Guerin, Joseph, Grier, Marchant, Niiminna, Mironov, Hammerlik

(up to 26 now)

Guys from the 2006 Cup Run: Roloson, Hemsky, Horcoff, Smith, Staios, Stoll, Pronger, Pisani, Moreau

(that's 35)

Current Young Stars: McDavid, Hall, Eberle, RNH, Yak

(that's 40!)

The honorable mentions go to: Salo, Hamilton, Ron Chipperfield (first NHL Captain), Blair MacDonald & Lee Foglin (also Captains before Gretzky), Shayne Corson (he was a Captain... but the worst in team histoy, not a fan at all, but I had to mention him)..... Damphousse & Nicholls were big name players in the early 90s, and part of a couple of teams that did go deep.... last two to make it an even 50: Andrew Ference (most recent Captain) and Jason Arnott.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    San Jose Sharks Washington Capitals
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

No McSorley?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ShamaleSands's Items on eBay

I was thinking the same thing about McSorley! You see a lot of him paired with other greats from that time but didn't he only play like 120 games for Edmonton?

Anyways Marty has one of the nicest autos in hockey, and coming from a tough guy I find that very surprising and impressive so I would include him.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Yeah for sure McSorley!! He was gretzky's right hand man.. You should put McSorleys card right beside your card of Gretzky so the Great One feels safe hanging on the wall lol..

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I though about McSorely, but he only played parts of four seasons with the Oil. I realize his closeness to The Great One, but he didn't meet my criteria for inclusion. No offense to McSorely himself or anyone who likes him.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (64)
    Country

I would include Arnott

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast