Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See BrownBullhead's Items on eBay

Before I get to the show, I'm going to write a tell. This one is epic!

Before I get to the show, I'm going to write a tell. This one is epic!

I'm planning to ramble my way through a story here. I moved from Toronto (Scarborough) to Winnipeg in 2000. For reasons I can't recall, I kind of "lost" the hobby somewhere around 1997-98. On a Summer 2003 visit back to Scarborough, I was in Morningside Mall in Village Smoke & Gift and saw these unusual packs of hockey cards in a "shoe box". It was 2002-03 ITG Parkhurst Retro. I bought a few packs (at 5.00 each no less!) but nothing to write home about.

But, back in Winnipeg, these loose singles kept my attention. Aruound this time, I found eBay. My life was over. LOL. Between Phoenix1588, North-of-7, and Pittsburgh Sports Wholesale, I was doomed! I think I opened one case from PSW, and about 100 boxes from Phoenix and North! My routine was to sell EVERYTHING except the one-per-box relics cards. Then, I got extreme.

I decided I wanted 12,000 HSHS points to get the set of 30 different HSHS redemption prizes! So Phoenix cracked and sold me points at 0.20 per point. I picked up points from eBay. Once I had 12,000, Phoenix and I consolidated and he dropped them off at ITG. A few weeks later, I had a complete set, all matching serial # 08/20, including a letter from Dr. Price!

So this was late 2003 / early 2004. But, a few months later, I lost the hobby (or did it lose me?), and I sold off EVERYTHING! :( Various reasons, I suppose. I was "gone" until 2011, when I found these forums and once again found the hobby.

Since 2013, I also decided to go back to 2002-03 Parkhurst Retro. I went CRAZY! I'm well over 400 relics singles and counting. You all have seen my numerous show-and-tells of Retro and yes, this will be another one. BUT... this one will be unlike any of the previous ones. Keep reading. :)

Last week, I was on eBay and I saw HSHS Thornton and HSHS Jagr. I was excited as I had already picked up four others from forum members and this was going to be a slow re-build. But... the seller promptly declined my offers! I was VERY disappointed. Then, he messaged me. Said he had 30 of them for sale. I was a bit confused what he meant, so I asked for more clarity in further messages.

HERE IT COMES => He had... the complete set... all 30 cards... all 30 players ... all matching serials #10/20! WHAT THE FLYING PUCK!? Let's just say, I made a offer, he accepted, and ... *drum roll* ... I once again, have, a serial # matched complete set! I was almost shaking when I read his YES reply! He did the set up as a formal eBay listing (to protect both of us) and seconds later, I pulled the trigger. :) :) :) :) :)

Oh, and this was a hoot. The eBay Global Shipping Program actuall worked to my advantage as opposed to shipping to my USA parcel box. Shipping was $24.39 US and GSP import charges were $75.39 US. PST and GST would have been 13% on $1250 winning bid would have been $162.50 US in GST and PST. So I lucked out there as well!

So... on with the show!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See BrownBullhead's Items on eBay

To clarify my own post, 400 points got you one random player redeedmed prize slab card. A 10-box case would have close to 400 points inside but not always. Each pack had 1, 2, or 3 points, 3's usually only being 2-3 per box of 24 packs.

Here's what I had BEFORE acquiring the matching serial set.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

WOW

The story, along with the set itself, is really something else! Always had a soft spot for Parkhurst Retro, very nice cards are very, very limited as well. What a set you have right there! Congrats on tracking it down yet again. Excellent work on the set, it includes so sweet swatches, too. Nice!

Keep up the great work on your entire collection !
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Philadelphia Phillies Philadelphia Flyers Philadelphia Eagles
    Twitter: @docsobolatin See Scobes's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

Very awesome cards! Congrats!

Scobes
    Hidden Content -- Hidden Content
    Baseball - Mark McGwire, Roger Clemens, Mark Sobolewski, Vintage, Set Needs & Phillies (in PHI uniform)
    Hockey - Valeri Kamensky, Chris Bala, Bob Kudelski, Patrick Rissmiller, & Autos/#ed/Base cards of Flyers (in PHI uniform)
    Football - 1950-60s Vintage & Eagles Autos Golf - Tiger Woods Basketball - 76ers Autos & Low-Numbered
    ABSOLUTELY NO INTERNATIONAL TRADING!!!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See pidge27's Items on eBay

Great looking set! Congrats on reacquiring it. I have done the same thing a couple times but to have a complete set all similar serial numbers is pretty amazing! Thanks for sharing this get story and another one of your awesome sets! Love the patches on both the Sundins!
    Hidden Content

Looking for 01-02, 02-03 BTP memorabilia

SCF Rewards
    Country

Luv the set!! The story that goes along with it is just a bonus.. Congrats on the nice set for the 2nd time lol..

New Member Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See manthis02's Items on eBay

great job
    nice cards

SWEET SUNDIN..
    my new flicker

Hidden Content

- ( IN ROCK WE TRUST )= (ITS ROCK or BUST)-

BANNED

Country
    See Rustyisin65's Items on eBay

wow, nice.
    Reminds me of some of my old "chase" stories of 25 years ago. Ebay has ruined that game now. Rare just isn't rare any more