Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See redwingsfan11's Items on eBay

Thumbs up My DREAMS have come true! The best card I will EVER OWN! Whale landed =)

HI everyone,

I come to you guys today as a person who has had their dreams come true. As a young adult who has countless years of memories with collecting, I am riding what will forever be the pinnacle of my hobby experience. Many years ago as a young Wings fan, Henrik Zetterberg grew on me to the point where he became my favorite player. From the time I was 10 or 11 years old to 21 years old, I collected hockey in spurts. Mostly because I always tend to collect the sports which I would actively play. And although Hockey will always be my #1 love, I never had the fortune of playing the sport as I always dreamed of. That is why the saying about how "cards bring you closer to the game", is true for me. It immerses me in a sport I will forever love but have not YET had the joy of experiencing first hand.

But before I get to the big kahuna, lets just go through a few other cards I have been fortunate to get.

This card is one that has a pretty personal unique story/experience. When I once hunted Zetterberg's Top Draws a few years ago, I also made it a goal to find a copy of Spezza as well. I believe back in 2013, there was one on ebay, but didn't have the funds for at the time and had to reluctantly let it go. Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago. It was near midnight and I was quite bored in my living room watching a few youtube videos on TV. I noticed a thumbnail of a new group break from CNC showing cards from 02/03 Rookie update and said to myself, "now this is in my wheelhouse". As I was watching the break, I was thinking to myself, "how cool would it be to see the Spezza or Zetterberg be pulled"? Sure enough, toward the end of the box, the Spezza WAS PULLED! And I IMMEDIATELY JUMPED IN JOY! I really wish I was able to record my genuine reaction. Its not even my break, and was probably just as excited as the guy who paid for that spot. I was in utter disbelief. Once I was able to get out of that stupor, I tried to track down the owner of that card. And with the help of the kind breakers at CNC through comments on that Youtube video, I was able to get in contact with the owner and swing a deal for a 14 year old PACK FRESH Spezza Top Draws Auto! Here it is!

Jason Spezza 02/03 UD Rookie Update Top Draws Auto /24

A former Spezza collector told me how hard it was to find this dual of Spezza and Gretzky, so once it popped up, I instantly snagged it. Plus its my first decent Gretzky card as well. I've only ever pulled base of Gretzky and even that is hard (for me).

Jason Spezza 02/03 UD Artistic Impressions Dual Impressions w/ Gretzky /75

As of now, Athanasiou is my favorite Wing. As much as Larkin looks to be the player who will take the torch from one generation (Zetterberg) to another, ever since AA's game in Columbus last year. He has stole my heart. Will he ever be a productive player as Pavs or Z? I'm not sure yet. But for me, AA has tools that I drool over. He does have things he needs to work on, but at this point in time it doesn't matter to me (from a developmental standpoint, gotta give the kid a chance). I've been keeping an eye on him since 2013 and its amazing to see how the skills that began my liking toward him I am now able to see in a Wings jersey. He excites me, albeit in spurts with any young developing player, in a time where its really hard to be excited for Wings games. Now when I saw this card, It instantly reminded me of Zetterberg's Premier Super rookie /15. I thought to myself, "If I can't ever have Z's Gold Super Rookie, I can at least have AA's which will take its place in spirit". I can honestly say that not only is this card an important piece in my AA collection, it is really beautiful as well. Aesthetics is VERY important for me in regard to how much I like a card vs one that I need to complete my collection. Acetate always wins for me. Its the main reason why I love sets like Rookie Breakouts. As if I haven't talked enough, here it is =)

Andreas Athanasiou 15/16 UD Premier Rookie Patch Auto Gold /15

Here are a few Zibanejad pick ups. But having seeing that game yesterday where he violently broke his fibbula, I am a bit too depressed to watch a Ranger game for a while. As a former "athlete" who was injured, It emotionally gets to me when I see a player of mine (or anyone for that matter) get injured. I wish the best for Mika, and hopefully he comes back with a proper recovery.

Mika Zibanejad 11/12 UD The Cup Rookie Patch Auto /249

Mika Zibanejad 11/12 UD SPA Future Watch Patch Auto /100

Now here we go! In the Summer of 2011, with a new small time job on my hands, I decided to get back into collecting. But this time solely hockey. In the first month or so, I was looking to buy an auto of all the players I remembered in the early to mid 2000's. Although I was enjoying that, as a Wings fan, I felt that it was time to focus on the team I loved so dearly. So I began guiding my eyes to current and former Wings players. But over time I realized I wanted to focus on a single player, and with Zetterberg being my favorite player, it was only natural that it would be him who I would chase. Once I made that decision, I instantly had to re-educate myself on how the hobby works and what it was I missed all these years. Little did I know what I was getting myself into. In the beginning I was knocking so many cards off my want list like nothing. Naively thinking, "wow, this is pretty easy". Then I hit THE WALL. I came to a point where there were cards on my list that were rare, and that I had never seen at that time. At this point, I began contacting as many Wings fans on various forums, asking for leads, pictures, advice, prices and etc. Trying to scavenge as much information as I could to be an educated collector and buyer. Some contacts were fruitful, but for a few years, my Zetterberg trail ran cold. The first significant card I can remember owning was Z's Honor Roll Signature class. When i got that card, it was like a weight was lifted off my shoulder. Oddly enough, a year later, a few more copies popped up in spurts and I now have three. Funny how things work sometimes. However, through all of this, there was always one card that was in the back of mind. There are times where I would actually daydream about owning it. Now 5-6 years later. I don't have to dream any more. It has finally become a reality. Without further adieu, I present to you...

Henrik Zetterberg 02/03 UD Premier Super Rookie Patch Auto Gold /15 (MY ULTIMATE HOLY GRAIL! DREAM COME TRUE!)

***edit*** Just recognized both my AA and Zetty Golds /15 are #5/15. Is this a sign lol?

Accompanied by, Henrik Zetterberg 02/03 UD Premier Super Rookie Patch Auto /99

A few more Z's I was fortunate to pickup since my last update,

Henrik Zetterberg 02/03 Private Stock Titanium Rookie /99

Henrik Zetterberg 02/03 UD Artistic Impressions Rookie Impressions Gold /75

Now my ENTIRE Henrik Zetterberg collection. 5 years of blood (not really), sweat (sort of) and tears (figuratively speaking?)

Without me even knowing or asking, my Dad contributed toward my Zetterberg memorabilia collection (gloves, jersey & stick). It was his gift to me as a mixture between gradation, birthday and Christmas. I never ask for anything and since a young teen have implored to not receive anything. There are "Yes men", but in my family I'm the "No man" lol. But I'll tell you, boy was I glad to make an exception and be truly surprised. This is a hobby my father and I share, and for him to go out of his way to get me a few pieces showed me that he and I are still in it together.

On an end note, I always thought to myself, that If I ever own Zetterberg Super Rookie Gold /15, I would stop collecting. Now that I am here, I don't think I can follow through with that as collecting will always be in my DNA. However, I think for me its about being in a different emotional state. Now that I have this card, I am able to be more relaxed and enjoy the more lower end and simple side of the hobby. Do I still have a few big cards that I still long for? YES, but nothing ever to the degree of the Zetterberg /15. And for that reason alone, I am able to finally sit back and smell the roses.
    Last edited by redwingsfan11; 11-22-2016 at 08:36 PM.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

This is why I love the hobby :) This story is beyond fantastic, and huge congratulations on picking up these outstanding cards. 02-03 Premier has some of the best RPA Design's, and are classics as far as I'm concerned. Excellent.

You have a great energy for this hobby, and that's very nice to see. Congrats once again on landing your white whale, and enjoy sitting back and smelling the roses :) You've earned it!
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thank you very much! The same can definitely can be said about yourself in your energy and enthusiasm for the hobby and Jonas Enroth. Always bringing a voice of positivity and encouragement.

This is why I love the hobby :) This story is beyond fantastic, and huge congratulations on picking up these outstanding cards. 02-03 Premier has some of the best RPA Design's, and are classics as far as I'm concerned. Excellent.

You have a great energy for this hobby, and that's very nice to see. Congrats once again on landing your white whale, and enjoy sitting back and smelling the roses :) You've earned it!

SCF Rewards
    Country

I love both, the story & the cards. Being that I live in Hawaii I knew hockey would be ruled out as a sport for me. I played baseball & collected baseball cards of Hawaii born players. I always loved hockey but never seriously collected hockey cards. That was until the fall of 2014 when my wife & I attended our first hockey game. It was the season opener of the Calgary Flames at the Saddledome. Ever since then I started collecting Johnny Gaudreau since it was also his first full season with the Flames. I can't really afford the high end cards but I still love every card that I can add to the PC.

I love stories about how your collection started as well as Aaron's (creasecollector) story about his Mike Mole collection.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Washington Capitals Washington Capitals Washington Capitals
    See capsfan30's Items on eBay

Well, I can definitely see the excitement that accompanies this hobby for you, which I truely enjoy. Congrats on the huge pickups, and landing your whale of a grail.

SCF Rewards
    Country

@ 808-Zoomer So you can definitely relate. I myself had a football and baseball background. But unfortunately I blew both my throwing elbow and shoulder. I came back from the elbow injury, but it was the shoulder that put me in. Can't go more than 2 weeks in between throwing activities for me. Gaudreau is a heck of a hockey player, so you have a good one on your hands. He shows that creativity and thinking the game through trumps lack of other attributes. Keep on collecting whatever you can of him =)

@ LecavalierFan Thank you very much and i'm glad to see my passion show through =)

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (108) Hobby Insider
    Country

I started collecting seriously around 02-03. I remember dreaming about those Ultimate and Rookie Update breaks on the Beckett Message Board. Nice!! :)
    Wantlist: Hidden Content
    Tradelist: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

02/03 was such a great year. I was 12 at the time and really had no idea that hockey products extended beyond the UD series 1 my LCS sold at the time. someone needs to make a time machine lol.