Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thread: Volunteer Firemen

SCF Rewards
    Country

Volunteer Firemen

So...as some of you may know, i recently turned 18 and decided to become a volunteer firemen...Today i suited up fully for the first time and wow...that is a lot of stuff. I get to go on calls tomorrow. I have a pager that they gave me to tell me about the calls, but i dont have a scanner, and that would be a lot more helpful...i was wondering what everyones thoughts were about volunteer firemen, and if anyone has a spare scanner, or knows where i may find one...lmk..

Thanks for all your input in advance.

Steven

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Blazin_pyro's Items on eBay

Steven

Congrats on becoming a firefighter. Volunteers are very important in this business and will continue to be for a long time. I also think volunteering for any organization says a lot about the person and nowadays trying to become a full-time firefighter is very difficult without having some kind of experience as a volunteer or a seasonal plus college. Keep up your training at your dept, go to school and go to out of dept. training.

If there is anything I can do to help you along don't hesitate to pm or email me. I help all the younger firefighters all the time through our local academy plus I did run the Explorer Program and now do a lot of work with the Reserves.

As for the scanner go to a local pawn shop -- you might be able to pick something up cheap there. I will ask around and see if there is anything here.

What dept are you working for and the gear might seem heavy now but wait after a few years. You will find something that is important and decide you need that too. It then starts to get a little heavier. I've got almost 22 years of "stuff" in my gear.

Good luck and be safe. Number one priority is your safety so everything you do should be related to that. We are losing too many firefighters because they are not thinking safety or safely.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See timbart824's Items on eBay

Congratulations Steven!

Tim
    timbart824

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks timbart

SCF Rewards
    Country

Bumpin this up for some exposure!!