Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Exclamation Rich's Condition Guide....

This is simply a guide very similar to PSA's, BGS's, et al. with some lehmans terms added.

0) Pristine-Perfecto, the creme-de-la-creme

1)Mint (MT) PSA9
    Four sharp corners - 55/45 or better centering( picture in relation to border, inserts are harder to gauge for centering) - Smooth edges, no chips -Overall card is eye appealing with Original color & gloss(watch surface scratches) **Most cards from ~ 2000 to current fall under this condition, unless miscut, bent corner, Package sealing damage, etc..To me this card will grade gem10 60% of time if cracked, and resubmitted**

2)Near Mint - Mint (NRMT-MT) PSA8
    60/40 or better centering - Relatively smooth edges(some companies are notorious for rough cuts from the sheet) - Original color border & gloss - One of the following very minor flaws is allowed: Sharp corners to the eye, but slight imperfections under intense scrutiny(lighted 10X or higher magnification) A few minor print spots; or A few focus imperfections**This card ungraded can usually stand up to any card of higher quality! I would accept a card of this quality in any year. The only exception would be a print spot, which takes away from the eye appeal of the card. Most would consider this pack fresh from pre2000**

3)Near Mint (NM) PSA7
    65/35 or better centering - In addition, one of the following minor flaws allowed: Very slightly fuzzy corners; Slightly rough edges; Very minor border discoloration; Noticeable print spots; Color or focus imperfections **This is a very nice card up to 1999 even under magnification, many cards fall under this grade of NM!! IMO Any card above NM(pre-1999 raw) is splitting hairs, unless it’s under magnification, or with a noticeable flaw **

4)Excellent - Mint (EXMT) PSA6
    Centering no worse than 70/30 - No more than two of the following flaws allowed: Very slightly fuzzy corners; Slightly rough edges; Very minor border discoloration; Noticeable print spots; Color or focus imperfections ** I don’t know why they even list this, as the 1(NM) or 2 flaws(EXMT) doesn’t hold water in my book!! To me you go from NM in modern to a set filler, and in vintage EXMT-NM is a mighty nice piece**

5)Excellent -Very Good (EX)-(VG) PSA 4/5
    Centering no worse than 75/25 - slight rounded corners, more like frayed(fluffy) - Can have other imperfections such as: Poor gloss; Poor focus; Noticeable print spots Hairline crease** again this applies more to pre 1985 cards, as a newer cards started to be handled properly! Not to mention the companies started producing a better product, with better card stock, again I combined EX & VG, because they are so similar when dealing with vintage**

6)Good (G) Fair (F) Poor (P) PSA 3 and below
    This is a filler card(just to say I own this card), one that has creases, rounded corners. An abused card * I would only take if rare, or pre- 1975 to complete a set*

Again, I think is a pretty good start to a needed "sticky Card Condition" reference. One members can refer to when trading, and questioning condition**Inspired by the new VINTAGE FORUM*

As always give me your views on where I'm off base, and WHY. Also, this is for SCF reference so keep the replies informative, and based on experience!!***Exception: Questions are always welcome!!

Add-On by a new member Jimmayor007. Figured I'd add it since it was in his words. Mine were very similar to the standard guides but tweaked with my observations ;)

This should not be considered the "All-Inclusive" guide to sports card grading but, it will give you a good start towards properly grading your own sports cards prior to listing them on eBay or after completion of a successful auction purchase.

Local card dealers are a great source of help on this topic and most will be happy to assist you with assigning a grade to your cards.

Mint (MT) = Cards of this grade are FLAWLESS. They are perfectly centered, have sharp corners, the pictures are in perfect focus, contain vibrant colors with no print sports, have the original gloss, and are perfectly centered.

Near-Mint (NRMT) = Cards of this grade have one minor flaw that keeps them from grading Mint.

Excellent-Mint (EX-MT) = Cards of this grade have more than one minor flaw.

Very Good (VG) = Rounded corners, rough or slightly nicked edges, discoloration, off centering, and signs of handling (gloss rubbed off, etc.) all will result in a card being graded Very Good.

Good, Fair, Poor = Cards of this grade will have severely rounded or separating corners, creases, fading and discoloration, are greatly off centered, contain pen marks (common with older checklist cards), and any other form of disfigurement.

...read the full guide with pics here
    Last edited by meuandthelot; 08-20-2007 at 06:57 PM.