Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Time Hockey!

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Old Time Hockey!

I posted a similar thread to this last year? maybe it was the year before? I've shown most of this stuff off, but I recently updated my scans (they were incomplete last time I did this) so I figured what the heck, I'll show them off again.

Anyway, this is my Slapshot Collection. For those of you that have never watched the movie, you're missing out. One of my favorite movies of all time (sports or otherwise) and certainly the greatest hockey movie ever made.

First up, 9 copies of Michael Ontekean's "Fans of the Game" from 10-11 Donruss. When this card came out, I had to have it! I ended up with a few copies, and thought 9 would be nice. They look good in a sleeve together! Ontkean played 'Ned Braden', one of the main characters in the film.

Here we've got 9 more cards. The first group are more "Fans of the Game" inserts from Pinnacle. Auto'd & Non-Auto'd versions of each. That's the three Hanson Brothers from the movie.

Below that, I've got the regular, gold, and platinum versions of Jack Carlson's 02-03 Fleer Retro. Jack was not in the movie, but he was supposed to be. He's the actual 3rd brother (of Steve & Jeff) but was recalled by the Oilers (WHA) before the movie started filming. Dave Hanson shifted to the role of the 3rd Hanson, and Jerry Houser was hired to play the role of Dave 'Killer' Carlson.

Here we've got another nice variety of cards. First 4 are from ITG's Enfocers. The same three Hanson brothers that you'll see a lot in this thread, plus one of legendary minor league goon Bill 'Goldie' Goldthorpe. Goldthorpe (both in reputatino, and name) was the inspiration behind the character Ogie Ogilthorpe in the movie.

Two more cards of Goldie follow. They're from an older ITG set (Tough Customers). An Auto & and Jersey. There's signed memorabilia cards - too the Auto / Jersey is the one card I'd still like to add to this collection of mine.

The other three cards? Ontkean I mentioned earlier (this is the signed copy of the card) but the other two guys? They both played very small roles in the movie. Bruce Boudreau skated as an extra i the movie (he was in the film for about three seconds, playing for the Hyannisport Presidents):

The other card in there is of Connie Madigan. He holds the distinction of being the oldest rookie in NHL History (the St. Louis Blues called him in 1972-73, at age 38). He also played the role of Ross "Mad Dog" Madison in Slapshot, one of the goons that the Syracuse Bulldogs bring in to play in the Federal League final at the end of the movie.

Here we've got 6 cards of a guy that has nothing to do with the movie! Christian Hanson was a rookie for the Maple Leafs back in 09-10. These UD Black Lettermen look great! Christian is actually Dave's son, and the name 'Hanson' made me chase these as well. Wasn't easy to track them all down (considering I started collecting them 4 years after they were released)

Of course, chasing after those Lettmen (plus that card in the middle) lead to me to tracking down more cards of Christian Hanson. There's a Dominion Penpals dual signed card with Christian & his father Dave in the middle, and then I wanted 8 cards to fill the page out. The Ultimate & Future Watch were easy picks, as auto'd rookies. For varieties sake I added an ITG H&P (Toronto Marlies) Auto, and the SPA SOTT. The City Lights is his only GU card (in that it's acutally from a GU jersey, and not a photoshoot). I filled the page out with what I thought were interesting cards: A Young Guns (THE staple rookie), an Ice Premiers (unique looking, compared to everything else that's made) and a Rookie Headliners insert card, again, for its uniqueness compared to the rest of the cards he has available.

A far cry from a complete player collection, but I have no real interest in doing that. I'd jump on the chance to add an Exclusives parallel of the YG though.

Next up its time for some higher end stuff.....

Here we've got another card of Bill Goldthorpe. This was a Fall Expo (2013) redemption card, that you'd get for opening a box of Enforcers. LOVE these cards (I own a few others too, they have nothing to do with Slapshot though). Limited to just 10 copies.

Here we've got six more card. Another copy of the Ontkean auto (I've got two). Christian Hanson's Best RC (a Cup ARP). And a pair of Dave Hanson & Steve Carlson RCs. Panini added them as rookies in two sets. Dominion & Limited. Beautiful cards, and long over due RCs of a couple of minor leaguers!

There have been three triple signature cards of the Hanson Brothers in recent years (and in the case of the Leaf one on the left, there are more limited parallels). The Dominion Penpals was the first I landed (it's limited to just 15 copies). The other two are unnumbered, but the Enforcers Triple is near impossible to find. The Leaf is a bit easier, but not exactly plentiful. All three a beautiful cards.

And finally, what the only 1/1 in this collection:

Panini Dominion Kindest Cuts Paul Newman. The actor played the role of Player / Coach Reggie Dunlop in the movie. When this showed up on eBay I could not believe the price I got it for (I'll keep that to myself). It was years ago (the set was still reasonably new) and I had no expectations of winning it. Really glad I did, as it's the crown jewel of this collection.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

I'm going to make a few extra comments on my own thread:

Going back through this, with 44 Unique cards in there: I love that it covers 5 manufacturers (UD, Panini, ITG, Leaf, and Fleer).

This also reminds me of the fact that I miss Panini being in the hockey business. Madigan / Ontkean - Those are cards that nobody else would have made. There was (quite obviously) a Slapshot fan working in the hockey department.

If you're sitting on anything that you think would make a nice addition to my collection, and want to move, I'd love to hear from you. A UD Exclusives (of Christian Hanson) and a Tough Customers Auto / Jersey of Bill Goldthorpe are the two cards I'd still like to add.... but maybe something else exists that I don't know about?

SCF Rewards
    Country

Very nice collection. I remember you showing these awhile back and I was jealous of your Newman card. I think you have pretty much of what's out there as far as cards. I have several copies of the Goldthorpe auto/jersey special events card if you would like one. Also have several Christian Hanson signed plates but no exclusives.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks for the detailed explanation of the roots of each acquisition! Thanks for sharing your impressive collection!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Ottawa Senators Toronto Blue Jays Toronto Raptors
    See hossa18sens's Items on eBay

Still a cool looking set. Still love the Connie Madigan. Wish I had held out for more lol (jk it is in the right hands)

GL on finding the rest

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bulls
    See scottkoz20's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack
    Send PayPal to scottkoz20 Member is PayPal Verified

this is awesome - didn't even realize that there was a Paul Newman 1/1 out there!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Ottawa Senators Toronto Blue Jays Toronto Raptors
    See hossa18sens's Items on eBay

this is awesome - didn't even realize that there was a Paul Newman 1/1 out there!

There isn't. It is locked away big time lol

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@oldtimehockey29 See joeaverage67's Items on eBay

That's soooooooooooo cool. I actually bought a copy of Slap Shot today for a gal I know in Long Beach for Christmas who SAYS she's a hockey fan but she's never seen the movie????

Ya know Bruce Boudreau was in there as well eh? You could add a couple OPC Leafs to that collection :D

My Slap Shot collection isn't as detail-oriented hahahaaa.........

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

Chris is right. Not out there anymore. Locked away! When I saw it on the checklist, I remember thinking I really wanted the card - but I did not expect it would actually end up in my collection.

That's soooooooooooo cool. I actually bought a copy of Slap Shot today for a gal I know in Long Beach for Christmas who SAYS she's a hockey fan but she's never seen the movie????

Ya know Bruce Boudreau was in there as well eh? You could add a couple OPC Leafs to that collection :D

My Slap Shot collection isn't as detail-oriented hahahaaa.........

Not as detail oriented, but man those custom McFarlanes are awesome (you have the Hanson ones too?). That Paul Newman piece was done really well.

For a couple of years of Panini, I kept hoping we'd get a Denis Lemieux card in the All Goalies set, or something like that, but it never happened.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    CnC (21)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Calgary Flames NULL
    Twitter: @@creasecollector Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

This is great, congrats on the collection. That 1/1 is out of this world!
    Jhonas Enroth Card Collector & Host of the Hidden Content
    Hidden Content
    View my Hidden Content | My Hidden Content | Complete Hidden Content | Card Blog Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast