Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

See cfa10123's Items on eBay

Why eBay is an effective price guide

The efficient market hypothesis (EMH) is a term used by stock market analysts or historians. This means that all there is to be known about a public company is already reflected in its stock price. I believe the same holds true for sports cards. eBay is the virtual "stock exchange" and people bid up prices of cards, as they do stocks. In the end, a price is established and it reflects all there is to be known about that card. For example, if a Dontrelle Willis autograph sells for $48, people are pricing in how he has done in the Major Leagues already, and in effect, how he may do in the future. The higher the price paid for the card, the more people price in how he well he is/will be doing.
    In effect, the stock market and EMH are a lot like sports cards as stated. eBay is a market where buyers and sellers (traders) can actively buy/sell cards and the ending price is likely the highest anyone is willing to pay for the card. However, if you are talking about a card that has a larger print run, the ending highest average price anyone is willing to pay will be that of all of the sales added together and then divided by how many there are.

The "lesson": eBay can establish the average price of cards and works a lot like the stock market. In my opinion, even though I enjoy reading Beckett and use their BV in trading, eBay is more effective price guide than the former. I'm interested to hear everyone's feedback!

Tim

This is just my opinion of why eBay can be a more effective price guide than Beckett. I am not knocking Beckett at all, as I still believe it is the best price guide out there, and I subscribe to it!

Tim

SCF Rewards
    See hairstonfan's Items on eBay

I TOTALLY agree with that!! I wanted to say something like that but I thought people would say I'm a loser and never trade with me. When people say this is what it books it drives me crazy!! Its not about what its worth it's about what people are going to pay. If you run a store and sell anything for bv, no one will buy if they are smart. Ebay has changed the way people but not only cards but cars, clothes, and just about any valuable products. If only people would realize!!

Originally posted by hairston1315
    I TOTALLY agree with that!! I wanted to say something like that but I thought people would say I'm a loser and never trade with me. When people say this is what it books it drives me crazy!! Its not about what its worth it's about what people are going to pay. If you run a store and sell anything for bv, no one will buy if they are smart. Ebay has changed the way people but not only cards but cars, clothes, and just about any valuable products. If only people would realize!!

I agree. I saw a guy at the local card shop selling all of the cards for BV! It was a rip, IMO.

Tim

Country

So what your saying.. I could trade you a 15.00 gu for your 50.00 gu because they are both are possibly selling at the same level on e-bay?

Say my 15.00 gu went for 3.50
    and your 50.00 gu went for 4.00

Would you trade with me? I bet not, Would you say it was'nt fair?

SCF Rewards

i doubt a 50.00 gu goes for $4.00 even on Ebay. And if it does, point me in the right direction and ill be glad to buy it.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See just-for-cards's Items on eBay

Beckett is a nice magazine and a general price guide.
    Ebay is a close 2nd to Etopps as far as a good price guide.
    I will watch all 3 as well as SCD before trading, selling, or buying.

If there is a big difference in price between Beckett and Ebay, I will wait on selling or trading a card until the values are closer together. One card may have potential (I hate that word!!!) to go higher while another will never go higher.

Country

I've bought 2 gu that were 40 + in the last 3 months for less than 5.00.

2001 UD ledgends Hull/Makita Platinum dual gu 13/100 From Kruk cards. BV is 70 I paid 4.00..with shipping it was 6.50

2001 Sp Authentic John Elway stat jersey 78/300 for 5.00... 8.00 with shipping
    So dont tell me they dont exist! You need to look harder.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @sasesportssigs Instagram:

EBay is terrific but it could be more efficient. Lots of factors can affect the price of items on EBay. User error, incorrect labeling, feedback, ending times of auctions, shipping charges, deceptive sales, minimum bids, fraud bidding, etc. I think the most effective price guide would be something like The Pit. An actual price guide where the items are always there and the human element (and therefore mistakes) is not as prominent.

I remember once on EBay I was trying to buy something so I put a maximum of $10 except I forgot to put the period between the 10 and the 00. So the bidding kept going up and up to like $40 because my maximum was $1,000 instead of $10. No way in the world I wanted to pay more than $10 so the price paid was nowhere near accurate. I'm sure that kind of thing happens a lot on there.

SCF Rewards

No doubt about the reality that is Ebay. I myself bought a complete set of 1988/89 Fleer Basketball, stickers included, all MINT as can be, for $68.00 w/shipping. Plus, the guy threw in a 1989/90 set, which I don't even want. Total "Book Value"=

88/89 = $200.00
    89/90 = $50.00

There you go.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast