Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Makarov, you're ignoring the fact that he was already over 30 when he got to the NHL and his best year's were behind him. Looking at the whole body there, not just the NHL stuff. It's something I think the HHOF needs to do a better job of..... remember that they're the Hockey Hall of Fame, and not the NHL Hall of Fame..... he was so good from the mid/late 70s through to when he finally came to North America - I'd put him in.

Verbeek, it's also a whole body of work. Anyone with more than 500 goals gets my vote (just like the 400 wins for goalies). His career points are good (1063) but if there were slanted a little more in favor of assists.... if he hadn't cracked the 500 goal mark...... I'd probably remove the name from my list.

Neely was a good player, and I'll admit he's my favorite one to pick on when it comes to the Hall of Fame. I just don't see it. I get that his career was cut shot due to injuries... and while I will argue that Lindros & Karyia shouldn't have their injuries count against them - it's because they were the best players in the world, at what they did, for an extended period of time. Lindros was the best player in the entire league for a span that lasted close to 3 years. Karyia was a top winger for a really, really long time... and then tailed off really quickly at the end.

Neely..... he had three really good seasons, and a bunch of good seasons. I'll admit that Lindros & Karyia don't exactly have mantels filled with all the hardware they won as NHLers.... but 3 First Team All Stars for Karyia.... and the whole Hart / Pearson thing for Lindros.... that's a lot more than Neely ever did IMO.

To me the difference is that the hockey world wept when good Canadian boy Cam Neely got hurt and his career was derailed. He was ushered into the HOF once the opportunity came up. Eric Lindros was a jerk to a lot of people, and his HOF chances have been beat up because of it.

Maybe I'm biased but Verbeek and Makarov better than Neely? You can make an argument for Lindros, Kariya, Andreychuk and Tkachuk but those not two.

Avg Pts. Per Game

Verbeek - 0.74
    Makarov - 0.90
    Neely - 0.95

Avg Goals Per Game

Verbeek - 0.36
    Makarov - 0.31
    Neely - 0.54

Cam ranks 15th ALL TIME in Goals Per Game and he ranked 10th at the time of his retirement. Also only three players had a better goal scoring season than Neely did in 93-94 with 50 goals in 49 games. Those players are Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux and Brett Hull.

Even though Cam was never a passer he still beats Verbeek in assists per game and isn't too far behind Makarov

Add in the fact that he did all of that on a bum knee, was maybe the best power forward of all time and was a legitimately fearsome fighter and I don't know how you can say he's not a HOF'er, or even be using him as a comparable to players not in the hall.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Boston Bruins New England Patriots Boston Red Sox
    See jimmcnulty1990's Items on eBay

You will never convince anyone that Pat Verbeek was better than Cam Neely. If Neely played as many games as Verbeek with his career goals and points per game average he would have had 768 goals and 1350 points. Obviously you have to factor in decline because his Avgs would have dropped off a little when he got older but still just look at the numbers.
    PMs Work Best!!!
    Hidden Content

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

If Cam Neely had played as many games as Pat Verbeek, he'd most likely have numbers that would make people like me shut up about him being in the HOF :) You're right.... the numbers would tail off, but he'd have put up a really, really nice career.

Cam Neely at his best was better than Pat Verbeek at his best. No doubt, I will not try and argue against that point - because I'd be wrong.

I say Verbeek had the better career, and is a better HOF candidate. He broke 500 goals, 1000 points.

Should "Player X" be in the HOF? I'd vote yes due to stats that only a long career can achieve, or "okay" career stats accompanied by an impressive list of awards & achievements.

Not trying to hijack the original post though :) I will go back to agreeing with the OP that Kariya, Tkachuk, Joseph and Osgood are among the 4 most deserving "not yet in the hall" players out there.

You will never convince anyone that Pat Verbeek was better than Cam Neely. If Neely played as many games as Verbeek with his career goals and points per game average he would have had 768 goals and 1350 points. Obviously you have to factor in decline because his Avgs would have dropped off a little when he got older but still just look at the numbers.

BANNED

Country
    See Rustyisin65's Items on eBay

there are a lot of players from the 80s and 90s with 500 goals and 1000 points that won't make the Hall.

Verbeek vs Neely?
    You might as well compare Patrick Roy with Any Van Hellemond

BANNED

Country
    See Rustyisin65's Items on eBay

players with 500 goals who won't make it

Mullen
    Bondra
    Turgeon
    Roenick
    Verbeek
    Tkachuk
    Andreychuk
    Recchi

players from this era who should not be there
    Robitaille, Neely, Hawerchuk, ciccarelli

players who will make it but shouldn't
    Modano, Sundin

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Winnipeg Jets Boston Bruins
    See timothystar's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

Lmaof...Hawerchuk scored over 500 and 1400 plus pts on some sad sack teams, and was the 2nd best player in the world, at least stats wise to some guy named Gretzky for a good period of time...
    Robitaille, another 1400 pts, a whopping 668 GOALS, highest scoring left winger of all time?....BUT he was SLOW so those points didn't help his team?...Russ Courtnall was a blazing fast though, so...
    Sundin has Already made it, great player/leader on another sad sack team...Recchi will make it with 500 G, and 3 Cups I would think...
    and Neely, a unique and RARE blend: dominant power forward/sniper wrapped in one, similar to Iginla, and a beast when he was in his prime.
    just my 2 cts...
    Bucket: Hidden Content

Sets: 20 12/13 Artifacts
    Players: Ovechkin, star YG's.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Winnipeg Jets Boston Bruins
    See timothystar's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

No for Modano also....He compares almost the same to Lafleur for both goals and assists, so I dunno, and Andreychuck, a big dude at 6 4" so he doesn't look spectacular like say Bure, and again is burdened with the "slow of foot," tag, but again, has magic hands, a gift for putting the puck in the net, 640 sometimes, plus another 700 plus assists, a decent play maker also! Similar numbers to D.Savard and Hawerchuck but not as "nifty"...but who is at 6-4" aside from Mario?

I wonder who if any modern players will get in with the low numbers they put up? Bergeron, no way right, but than, compared to his peers, for example, Toews, why not? Will be interesting...

SCF Rewards
    Country

players with 500 goals who won't make it

Mullen
    Bondra
    Turgeon
    Roenick
    Verbeek
    Tkachuk
    Andreychuk
    Recchi

players from this era who should not be there
    Robitaille, Neely, Hawerchuk, ciccarelli

players who will make it but shouldn't
    Modano, Sundin

Robitaille, Modano and Sundin shouldn't be in the Hall? Is your personal hall of fame like 15 guys?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Boston Bruins New England Patriots Boston Red Sox
    See jimmcnulty1990's Items on eBay

Luc Robitaille is the highest scoring left winger in the history of the game and has almost 700 goals, Mike Modano is the greatest American forward to play the game, and they both have a cup. What more could you ask for of a player?

I really don't know if the users of this site like to post garbage just to see us all react or if they truly believe it.

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

I really don't know if the users of this site like to post garbage just to see us all react or if they truly believe it.

It sports much like politics and sometimes there is no rhyme or reason to a person logic. If we all went by stats we all love the superstars instead of having a man crush or lady crush on a Bob Probert, Darren McCarty, or other guys far from being superstars.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast