Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

Besides the obvious, only 2 things really bother me.

1) Dirty greasy finger prints and smudges on cards from slobs who don't wash their hands before opening packs or handling cards. I used to ALWAYS see ebay ads with pictures that show their greasy thumbs prints! I quickly found out who the ebay grease-balls were real quick and quit buying from them. If you are shoving greasy cheeseburgers in your fat face while opening $10,000+ worth of trading card packages, then you are a failure at life, and you should probably just give up.

2) People who are addicted to ebay. People are crazy addicted to ebay! They will sell their cards for lower on ebay than what I offer them to sell to me outside ebay! So what they could get some feedback? AHAHAHAHA that is not even funny. I recently offered a guy $60 for a Deadpool card. He declined, put it up for auction on ebay, and it sold for less than $20! And I live like 5 hours away from the guy! Ebay is the worst of the worst. It only favours buyers and crooks and thieves. Not sellers. There is no reason for sellers to be on ebay, except to feed their ebay addiction and get ripped off by ebay buyers. Yet all these ebay addicts will still continue to mass open cases of cards just so they can continue their addiction cycle of scanning and listing those cards for auction on ebay. And ebay prospers all while slapping you sellers in the face by always charging sellers more and limiting their abilities. I mean if you are a seller on ebay, and someone steals your cards, you can't even leave them negative feedback! You can only leave them positive feedback!

I guess the thing that bothers me most, is that trading card hobbyists (you and me) still use ebay! Ebay is fine for other hobbies and for buying and selling other junk, but the trading card hobby should have elevated itself out of the ebay gutter by now, instead all the big elite case openers will still continue to support ebay no matter how many times they get ripped off or how many times ebay increases fees.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    See anth-toop's Items on eBay

Leafsfan, if you aren't allowed to move money in/out of your account, why would that preclude you from using Paypal? Yes you would have to seed your account with some sales prior to being able to purchase anything, but once you get money into Paypal you don't have to move it to a bank account. This is the way I handle my card budget. Anything in Paypal is mine to use and I don't spend cash/cards to purchase anything (in general).

I don't use BV unless the other person insists due to the fact that my monthly hockey card budget is fairly small compared to many in the hobby, and spending $10/month of that budget restricts me too much. I do like 30ranfordfan's methodology of "does this seem fair and make both sides happy". I completed a trade Sunday (holding until the CP issue is resolved) for 2 PC autographs for a dozen or so random young guns who I have $0 true value to me for, but helps him complete his set. He did the BV math and while he was fine with the $8 value I offered more because I felt I was getting the better end of the deal anyways.

Why? Because it says "You need to have a credit card or confirmed bank account with PayPal before you can send any payments".

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    See anth-toop's Items on eBay

1) Dirty greasy finger prints and smudges on cards from slobs who don't wash their hands before opening packs or handling cards. I used to ALWAYS see ebay ads with pictures that show their greasy thumbs prints! I quickly found out who the ebay grease-balls were real quick and quit buying from them. If you are shoving greasy cheeseburgers in your fat face while opening $10,000+ worth of trading card packages, then you are a failure at life, and you should probably just give up.

2) People who are addicted to ebay. People are crazy addicted to ebay! They will sell their cards for lower on ebay than what I offer them to sell to me outside ebay! So what they could get some feedback? AHAHAHAHA that is not even funny. I recently offered a guy $60 for a Deadpool card. He declined, put it up for auction on ebay, and it sold for less than $20! And I live like 5 hours away from the guy! Ebay is the worst of the worst. It only favours buyers and crooks and thieves. Not sellers. There is no reason for sellers to be on ebay, except to feed their ebay addiction and get ripped off by ebay buyers. Yet all these ebay addicts will still continue to mass open cases of cards just so they can continue their addiction cycle of scanning and listing those cards for auction on ebay. And ebay prospers all while slapping you sellers in the face by always charging sellers more and limiting their abilities. I mean if you are a seller on ebay, and someone steals your cards, you can't even leave them negative feedback! You can only leave them positive feedback!

I guess the thing that bothers me most, is that trading card hobbyists (you and me) still use ebay! Ebay is fine for other hobbies and for buying and selling other junk, but the trading card hobby should have elevated itself out of the ebay gutter by now, instead all the big elite case openers will still continue to support ebay no matter how many times they get ripped off or how many times ebay increases fees.

I don't use ebay because I cannot use ebay

SCF Rewards
    Country

I don't use ebay because I cannot use ebay

Consider yourself blessed. Ebay is a waste of time and space.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See scotforti's Items on eBay

Ebay sucks for sellers but is an amazing marketplace for buyers - why would any buyer NOT like ebay? You get access to endless stuff often at terrific prices - especially if you're patient and willing to watch searches to wait for the price you want

I've been watching some 14-15 SPA FWA redemptions for like 3 years now and they've been going down and down and down - only a matter of time before they hit the price I think they're worth

SCF Rewards
    Country

Those guys are considered stars/semistars in order to gaugethe value of their rookie cards. Once they become veterans they are no longer consideredstars/seminstars.

Beckett is utterly worthless and I refuse to pay for a subscription. Judging from past threads, it's about 50/50 on people that appreciate BV, but most will agree to trade by it just for trading's sake (myself included).
    I've created a couple of threads over the years pointing out some of the most egregious errors, including the infamous $25 Spezza inserts, but you need look no further than the Semi/Unlisted Stars section.

The unlisted stars section includes some of the hobby's most collected players:
    Lidstrom, Messier, Sakic etc
    But it also contains these folks - please explain?
    Kyle Baun, Eric Comrie, Cody Hodgson, Evander Kane, Joffrey Lupul, Joni Ortio, Nick Shore, Drew Stafford, Nail Yakupov

WTH is that? How out of touch with the hobby, and with hockey in general, can you be?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Blues
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Those guys are considered stars/semistars in order to gaugethe value of their rookie cards. Once they become veterans they are no longer consideredstars/seminstars.

'Hodgson was a rookie in 2011...

SCF Rewards
    Country

Ebay sucks for sellers but is an amazing marketplace for buyers - why would any buyer NOT like ebay? You get access to endless stuff often at terrific prices - especially if you're patient and willing to watch searches to wait for the price you want

I've been watching some 14-15 SPA FWA redemptions for like 3 years now and they've been going down and down and down - only a matter of time before they hit the price I think they're worth

Absolutely! I have had some great deals on ebay as a buyer.

The only way I could actually step away from ebay's great deals was to deactivate my ebay account, pack all my cards in boxes, put them under the stairs, and quit the hobby for about 2 years. Then when I came back it was so easy to resist ebay's dirty temptations. I only use ebay now to contact sellers to try and lure cards away from ebay through email. Now I wouldn't give ebay $1 for my most desired card. But I would overpay for that card if it was a direct purchase from the seller and the seller was not charged any fees.

I was merely suggesting that it is the ebay sellers that are the problem. Not the ebay buyers. I was not so much talking about buyers addiction, more so sellers addiction. Like what drives these guys to continually mass open truckloads of cards only to sell them on ebay at steals for buyers and hope they can make their money back. And then they have to pay ebay fees. And have to use paypal. And then they get treated like dirt by ebay. But still continue to list more and more on ebay. Yet buyers and crooks and thieves continue to get treated like gods by ebay.

It just makes no sense to me.

I sell $1 hockey jersey cards on facebook bidding battles or kijiji or events at $10-$40 a piece! And I pay zero fees! I have sold approximately 65 this year.

Why liquidate them on ebay for $0.99, only to have to pay ebay fees and then get treated like dirt by ebay? And then the buyer could steal your card, leave you negative feedback, and the BEST you can do is leave them positive feedback. HAHAHAHA that is a sh1tty game. I don't want to play.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Arizona Coyotes Detroit Red Wings Michigan State Spartans
    Twitter: @chisparty07 Upper Deck ePack
    Member is PayPal Verified

Here's a card for you @SpiderpoolScreenshot_20180928-194624_Messenger.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Sports Card Forum mobile app

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Washington Wizards NULL NULL

I find this thread extremely interesting . As a newbie I find there are too many dealers as compared to the number of collectors. I work , like most here , a 40 +hrs a week job to make money. This is my relaxation and a way for me to stay connected to the sport I’ve loved for the last half century. If that changes I’ll just move on .
    I could live without parallel cards,cards of players long retired and the term «™high end «™but to each their own . And to that person who hates people who un-sort their cards, I’ll try to do better.

Sent from my iPhone using Sports Card Forum mobile app

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast