Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See rzrz123's Items on eBay

People are paying a premium for anniversary YG's Why not Pekka

I'm looking at completed ebay sales of YGs, and I see John Tavares acetate from 17 18 series two sold for over $200. (I know they were unannounced, and hard to pull)
    I'm thinking to myself, jeez, you coulda got 2 actual YGs for the same price.

Then I look for a Pekka Rinne YG, and realize, UD never made one.

So.

What are your thoughts / opinions?

What if UD put him in to 18-19 Series 2? As a regular part of the YG set at 1:4 hobby packs

Would it be a hot card?

Heck, they can't include everyone, if they miss the boat, why NOT put someone in they forgot?

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Buffalo Sabres Colorado Avalanche
    Twitter: @@DGeschwender See metalica7's Items on eBay Upper Deck ePack

Nobody would consider it an actual YG, because we aren't in his rookie year anymore. People would view it as a special insert type thing. I'm sure some people would go for it, but it wouldn't hold value like a "true" YG would.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Upper Deck has done some insert sets where they used older YG designs for players that didn't have them. Pekka would seem to be a guy that would be a good one to include in something like that.

Heck, I think if they did a set right now... 250 cards... and it was just all various YG designs since the Young Guns Rookie Card format started in 01-02.... and all players that didn't have one in their respective rookie year (but used the design that would match their season.... so Rinne would be done as an 05-06 YG, Jonathan Quick as an 07-08, etc) it would be a hit. A HUGE hit. You could do acetate versions as inserts.... maybe another 90-91 Retro throwback parallel set... (or use a different year?).... you could even bust out old designs of rookie materials, and make game used cards.

Nobody would ever pay the premium for these cards that real rookie cards get though.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Would be a cool idea for sure. There are a lot of players who were under the radar that have gone on to have some excellent NHL careers, and no YG for them is kind of a bummer. Forecasting isn’t easy especially when you have to map out 22 releases a year, some guys will inevitably slip through the cracks or not get the love they (often in retrospect) would seemingly deserve.

As I’ve been putting together my Habs RC and auto project I’ve been seeing this first hand. Paul Byron, who has the exact same goal totals as William Nylander the past two seasons, has not had a SINGLE Upper Deck autograph card. Not one. And his only autos were a couple hard to find releases from Panini in his rookie year. He also has no YG. So it goes...
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Would be a cool idea for sure. There are a lot of players who were under the radar that have gone on to have some excellent NHL careers, and no YG for them is kind of a bummer. Forecasting isn’t easy especially when you have to map out 22 releases a year, some guys will inevitably slip through the cracks or not get the love they (often in retrospect) would seemingly deserve.

As I’ve been putting together my Habs RC and auto project I’ve been seeing this first hand. Paul Byron, who has the exact same goal totals as William Nylander the past two seasons, has not had a SINGLE Upper Deck autograph card. Not one. And his only autos were a couple hard to find releases from Panini in his rookie year. He also has no YG. So it goes...

^^^^^

I wonder: How many non-Rookie new signers do they get a season? I suspect that list is pretty small, maybe even single digits.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Penguins Toronto Blue Jays Toronto Raptors
    See kylbeecke_0's Items on eBay Instagram:
    Send PayPal to beeckerka@outlook.com Member is PayPal Verified

It is a slightly interesting idea, but best to keep him without a Young Guns. I actually like that a few players like him, Crawford, Quick etc DO NOT have young guns as this makes the number of RC's available lower and holds value very well. If you seek out Rinne's Rookie the main one is a Future Watch (non-auto) and the harder chase is a Black limited FW to 100. Makes for a nice singular chase of his. I also Have a feeling that these will appreciate at a higher rate than new rookies who are inserted as Update Young Guns into SP Authentic as this phenomena of no Young Guns can almost never happen.