Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See truepar's Items on eBay

Advice - Selling Collection

Hi all,

Looking for some advice. I've decided to part ways with most of my collection, keeping a few odds and ends for myself, but selling the rest. Most are in sets and cover a time period of 2011-12 through to this year's Series 1. I've got a couple of feelers out to local card stores, but I'm guessing I won't get as much since they'll be re-selling at a profit. At this point, I've no idea what the actual value would be of my collection, but I'm unsure as to how I would approach this - should I hold off and find a buyer for the entire lot or sell off the sets individually? I just don't want to be left with some odds and ends. For detail's sake, here is what I'd be selling:

11/12 Certified
    12/13 Certified
    13/14 Series 1 & 2 (inc both MacKinnon YG versions)
    13/14 Artifacts
    13/14 Black Diamond
    13/14 Score
    13/14 Select
    13/14 Prizm
    13/14 Rookie Anthology
    14/15 Series 1 & 2
    14/15 Fleer Ultra (inc RC Redemptions)
    14/15 OPC Platinum
    15/16 Series 1 & 2 (inc McDavid YG)
    15/16 Champs
    15/16 Tim Hortons
    16/17 Series 1 & 2
    16/17 OPC Platinum
    16/17 Parkhurst (inc all Rookie Parades minus Laine)
    16/17 Tim Hortons
    17/18 Series 1 & Series 2 (minus a few base)
    17/18 Tim Hortons
    18/19 Series 1 (minus 2 YG: Dahlen, Da Colle)

In addition to the sets, I have a couple thousand inserts/sub-sets (lots of completed ones), jerseys, autos from the same time period, including stars (Bobby Orr Champs auto, Ovechkin UD buyback Auto as examples off the top of my head).

I'm just trying to wrap my head around what I need to do in order to get the best deal. I guess first step would be completely inventory everything?

Thanks in advance!
    Stewart

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Arizona Coyotes Detroit Red Wings Michigan State Spartans
    Twitter: @chisparty07 Upper Deck ePack
    Member is PayPal Verified

The best deal overall is going to require a lot of time and energy. One option might be to drop off your collection at a COMC show (@30ranfordfan mentioned it here https://www.sportscardforum.com/show...0300-COMC-Newb) and try to sell it that way which would probably yield you the largest value for less effort than piece mealing it yourself here/ebay. Besides local shops, there are guys who buy very large lots, but again you'd probably expect 40-50% of FMV.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Trying to find a single buyer for everything... and getting the best price... is likely impossible.

The only way you'd actually be able to pull that off is if you found a fairly deep pocketed person, who is actively looking to buy (and own) most of those sets.

Shipping & Handling is going to be a big factor too.

Speaking from experience: I had complete UD Series 1 / 2 Sets from 1990-91 through 2015-16 (and a few "extras" thrown in). I wanted to get rid of everything, for what I thought was a fair price.

What ended up happening: After looking for a buyer for a few months, I found someone who was interested - but he wasn't buying to own the cards, he was buying to resell them... so of course he was not paying "top dollar" to buy all my sets, since he'd be trying to make a profit off the purchase.

He did buy them for what I thought was a fair price, and I actually drove several hundred KMs one day to meet him (we both did).

IMO - You'll do far better price wise with a greater number of transactions. If you could sell each set individually, you'll do better than selling the whole lot. It will take more work though.

Further still, if you break up the sets you'll do even better, but that means a lot more work... and you'll be stuck with cards you don't want, and can't sell.

COMC is a nice place to send cards to, but I would not recomend sending anything from a set like UD 1/2 (2015-16 or newer) that was available on ePack. You'll never sell anything.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thank you so much, guys. This helps a lot.

If I did end up selling each set individually - are there suggestions on how to ship them? For example, if I sell a Series 1/2 -- that's 400 base cards and 100 YG - what would be best idea? Put them into a 500 count box and penny sleeve the YG or keep the YG in individual top loaders?

I can see the work involved and the initial further investment in shipping material, but I may have no choice there.

Thanks again!

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Thank you so much, guys. This helps a lot.

If I did end up selling each set individually - are there suggestions on how to ship them? For example, if I sell a Series 1/2 -- that's 400 base cards and 100 YG - what would be best idea? Put them into a 500 count box and penny sleeve the YG or keep the YG in individual top loaders?

I can see the work involved and the initial further investment in shipping material, but I may have no choice there.

Thanks again!

From experience.... and these numbers won't be exact (I don't think):

When I sold mine:

Complete sets (1990-91 through 1999-00) were all in binders.
    Base sets (2000-01 through 2015-16) were in binders, but the YGs from each year (roughly 100 per year, for 15 years.... so 1500(ish)) were all in top loaders, a few in one touches.

Of course like I said: I didn't ship them. I drove a few hours to drop them off

If I were moving a 2015-16 Set right now: Honestly, I'd look to find someone that wants to buy the YGs, but not the base cards... and do nothing with the base. See if someone (local) would come pick them up, and give you $5 - $10 for them,

It will cost more to ship those 400 base cards than they're worth, and I think your sale price would be lower because of it.

As for the YGs: If you were to sell the 100 as a "set" - I'd probably put all the key ones into top loaders, in a box, and put the commons in penny sleeves between them. Reinforce the packaging with something - makes sure they can't shift around.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See samo6575's Items on eBay

If you're listing the sets individually only sell the Young guns or the "hits" of each set. Do not include the Base cards. You're better off throwing them away or donating them or burning them in your fireplace.
    Flickr: Hidden Content

Looking for Penguins, HOF Autos, Vintage Memorabilia. Aswell as any Guentzel and Murray Rookie Autos, Top Player Autos and Always looking for Decent Young Guns

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks once again to everyone for your feedback and info!

SCF Rewards
    Country

Do you have rare cards of alex ovechkin from ud ultimate collection or do you have cards from ud ultimate achievements 2207/08, if yes shoot me a mail and lets work out some deals..

Greetings Helge

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See sjw241's Items on eBay

Where are you located?

SCF Rewards
    Country

Some of the sets/base try selling on Kijii, avoids shipping.
    Everything will take a long time to get top value.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast