Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thread: NBA ratings down

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Oklahoma City Thunder Cleveland Cavaliers Miami Heat
    See lantern-marsh's Items on eBay

NBA ratings down

https://nypost.com/2019/01/17/lebron...as-tv-ratings/

In addition to LeBron's move, I think there's a demographic of 30+ adults who are tuning in less because we're tired of the out-of-control three-point circus and lack of defense. As I've stated before, I think most fans prefer 90-110 point games. You want enough scoring so that it's not like the slowdown slugfests of the late '90s, but not so much that you're seeing teams fling over fifty threes in a game, and frequent scores of 130 or more. Warriorsball and Hardenball are played out with a lot of the old school fans, who like me would prefer more of a balance.

I admit, if it weren't for Luka, I'd hardly be watching this season -- it would be Thunder games, and that's about it (Love's ongoing injury in Cleveland didn't help). I catch maybe a game or so a week now. I used to watch almost every night, sometimes two games in a night.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Ha I was just going to post this but you beat me to it.

I didn't really buy their excuse for the Lebron move because Lebron going to the Lakers makes the ratings GO DOWN? But more of that the teams with a very small fan base Raptors, Bucks, Nuggets, etc are the teams that are doing well. The Celtics, Rockets, and Warriors have underperformed and I think a lot of fans are sick of the Warriors by now anyway. Wouldn't have thought the ratings would be down that much though. And if you get the Lakers missing the playoffs and some bad teams in the Finals the NBA Finals ratings is going to take a massive hit versus last year.
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Oklahoma City Thunder Cleveland Cavaliers Miami Heat
    See lantern-marsh's Items on eBay

Yeah I also thought about the smaller market teams. They are playing good ball, particularly at home, but there isn't really anything mind-blowing about them to watch. And come crunch time, can any of them really compete with the Warriors anyway? Giannis, Kawhi, and Jokic are fine players, but none of these guys could beat Durant/Curry/Klay. LeBron is such a force that he can make any team competitive, but if the Lakers miss the playoffs, yeah the league will be in some trouble to keep things interesting for a lot of fans.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @@tnelson199310

I think this is an interesting topic. The NBA is gearing more towards high scoring and emphasizing less on defense. The refs are starting with calling more fouls and that is really what doesn't help the pace. Plus anyaltics say to shoot more and shoot more 3's. The faster the pace the more you can score and that is what the game is about now. Efficiency has taken a back seat and driving the pacer fast is what teams are being programmed to do.

I personally do enjoy watching the baskets being made at a high clip for a short period of time, but I can't stand it when it happens on the daily. when a team can average 70 points a half I throw up my hands because I know that team won't play defense. The warriors shoot the ball extremely well and are efficient at it. They also play solid defense and at least attempt to hold opponents to reasonable scores. They however don't have to play much defense because they are that much more efficent on offense than the rest of the NBA.

SCF Rewards
    Country

If the NBA ratings are down because of higher scoring it would be like the first time in history that has happened. In all other sports and in other eras the ratings went up with more scoring not less. But the NBA maybe more than other leagues has been driven by mega star players. You started the upward trend with Bird/Magic and continued it with Jordan, later Kobe, and now Lebron. Maybe people are tiring of Lebron and his constant team switching or maybe they are tired because the league doesn't have a clear heir to the throne once Lebron retires. It isn't Curry, Durant, or any of the other current guys. So the NBA needs to face the reality that if Lebron James fell off the face of the planet tomorrow and never played another NBA game the league would take a MASSIVE hit. Let's face it the NBA has been very lucky to have Lebron in the Finals almost every year and that has propped up TV ratings. With him gone it is only natural for them to plummet.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I don't believe down ratings has anything to do with scoring or defense, it's our wallets. Many people are cutting the cord on cable TV and satellite, including myself, because of the ridiculous cost. All TV in general has mostly down ratings because of it. Everyone wants to blame cable or satellite companies, but it's the team owners, athletes, actors and actresses driving these costs upward for the consumer. Owners willing to give players $30-40 million a year, late night hosts making $25 million, actors & actresses demanding $1-3 million an episode. It'll be interesting too see how this plays out as many people are cutting the cord. I know seven people who have in the last two months.

I cut the cord in the middle of December and haven't missed watching games at all. I listen to Kentucky Basketball games on the radio and it has brought back memories of growing up when every game wasn't on TV and you had to listen to the radio. Fortunately for me, I had two of the best radio broadcasters locally, Cawood Ledford (Kentucky Basketball & Football) and Marty Brenneman (Reds Baseball), growing up in Kentucky. I'll be listening to a lot Reds games this year since it'll be Marty's last season.

In December I rid myself of cable TV and kept the internet. I bought a Smart TV and HDTV Antenna for local channels. By my estimation, over the next 10 years I'll save nearly $13,000 by cutting the cord.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I'm not a huge basketball fan. Celtics playoff basketball is the extent of my interest. But, several of my co-workers are green-teamers for sure. Normally I'll come in and the previous nights' game will be the topic for the first few hours. Most used to watch every night. Of the 5 guys in my place, 1 is on the net and doesn't watch because of it..... radio here & there now. 2 or 3 are just bored with the style of play from what I gather. Maybe not necessarily because of the 3-ball stuff but the overall mechanics of it. Like they are just coasting/going through the motions or something. The rest do what they've always done. Watch every night, dissect every shot, every game.