Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Army
    New England Patriots

Cards not in Panini/Beckett/cardboard connection checklists

I am looking for any insight I can get in regards to this phenomenon I am witnessing on occasion:

Cards that exist in the physical, but do not appear on any checklists...

How on earth can Panini create cards but not have them in their checklist? I am most recently working on the 2014 Crown Royale Rookie Signatures rainbow for James White, and have come across many parallels of this card (via ebay and other searches) that do not appear on any checklists (Panini, Beckett, cardboardconnection). Any idea why this happens? Are others experiencing this with other players/sets? I will only purchase from/trade with someone who has a perfect rating with 1,000s of transactions so as to not get scammed into a fake card...

Football Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Member is PayPal Verified

There's no financial incentive for Panini to publish a checklist. One would think Beckett would try and press Panini for full/complete checklists since the very product Beckett sells depends on it. But Beckett seems fine being completely reactive to missing checklists and let collectors hit them up piecemeal. It's inefficient but that's what you get when there's no competition in the marketplace and no financial incentive to do so.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Army
    New England Patriots

There's no financial incentive for Panini to publish a checklist. One would think Beckett would try and press Panini for full/complete checklists since the very product Beckett sells depends on it. But Beckett seems fine being completely reactive to missing checklists and let collectors hit them up piecemeal. It's inefficient but that's what you get when there's no competition in the marketplace and no financial incentive to do so.

That makes sense...but my only issue with that is, if someone is trying to get all parallels of a certain set, how do they know if they actually have all of them?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Denver Broncos USC Trojans
    Twitter: @DrunkTrojan Instagram:

I have that issue with my Super Bowl Signature set. Rarely do they make it on a checklist. When they do make a checklist they get treated as a new standalone set instead of a continuous checklist. I have reached out to both beckett and panini to get clarification, either they never respond or I get the run around on why they dont match up the same. I just wanted it so when they slab my set to have the same labels and have to know I am not missing any that could be a SSP.

For Panini I could see them treating it as just one card slipped through their review process. As for Beckett there is so much for them to keep up with and if it get missed by Panini they arent going to catch it. Then cardboard connection just sorts the master checklists put out by panini. They would be the most likely to add it to their checklist if you can show pictures and describe the situation.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    New England Patriots
    See zeke_at_bryant's Items on eBay My traders on Flickr

I think it tends to be cards that were not issued as part of the main set. In addition to the James White cards from Crown, the same issue occurs for Deion Branch Autos in Flawless. It's terribly annoying.

And the same can be said for the Super Bowl set... Danny Woodhead and Ted Johnson aren't listed anywhere.

These are just examples from Patriots, but there must be many more.
    Always looking for Patriots Jerseys/Autos!

Hidden Content - For Trade / For Sale
    Hidden Content - Patriots PC

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Denver Broncos
    See Just a buyer, no page.'s Items on eBay

Emmanuel Sanders had at least one card not listed for a few years.

I have a 2015 NT Jumbo Signatures Booklet /5 that I couldn't find listed anywhere.

Until later in 2018. Panini releases checklists for older cards on checklists for new stuff. I saw it here in one of Don's threads for a Panini release. At the bottom of the checklists, they sometimes add on older stuff that I assume they just finally got in from the players, and finally released. And for whatever reason, they left them off the original checklists.

I don't think anyone goes back to the original checklists they released a few years back, and updates them. A quick check on Cardboard Connection shows it still not listed. & I can't figure out how to access Panini's checklists anymore.

I think part of the problem is Panini does not number the actual card in many cases. The list on CC shows the cards listed as numbered 1 thru 15, although it says it's a 13 card set. No #4 or #8.

I have two of the set. The Sanders, and P. Manning, which is listed as card #2.

But on the actual cards, they are numbered "JSB-PM" and "JSB-ES". The Peyton has no "2" on it anywhere. And the Sanders no 4 or 8.

Clearly the Sanders is card #4, or card #8, but I have no idea how to find out which, unless someone goes back and updates these older checklists to which these cards truly belong.

Starting with Panini, and then on down to places like CC.

Football Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

but my only issue with that is, if someone is trying to get all parallels of a certain set, how do they know if they actually have all of them?

People who are buying boxes and cases aren't ones I usually think of as ones looking to complete parallels and such. Panini makes 0 money on the secondary market. Case breakers and box/pack resellers are their clientele.

What I'd recommend is double checking Panini's website - http://www.paniniamerica.net/checklists.cfm - and verifying that the card in question is actually not there. Then head over to their Customer Support page and click the "Start a Request" button to open a ticket with their help desk. The three options aren't great but I think Quality Assurance most likely fits the bill since their incomplete checklists don't assure collector's of quality (see what I did there?).

I found their customer service reps to be responsive even if I didn't get my questions answered.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Denver Broncos
    See Just a buyer, no page.'s Items on eBay

Thanks for the link, jplcom. I couldn't find that before.

Yeah, my Sanders NT Booklet is not there.

No worries on it though. I do not think it's a fake card. It's too identical to the Manning.

I guess it would be nice to know if it's card #4 or 8, but as I am not collecting the whole subset, just the two Broncos, it really doesn't matter.

Seems odd they number them with numbers on checklists, but they number the actual cards with just players initials.

Football Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country

Seems odd they number them with numbers on checklists, but they number the actual cards with just players initials.

If they are doing what I'd do, they probably run their card designs through some sort of database program that prefixes the "card number" with the set initials, then grabs the player initials as the card number. That is what gets printed. No need worrying about renumbering the whole set if they need to sub out a player because he doesn't sign or explaining why there's a gap in the checklist.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Army
    New England Patriots

People who are buying boxes and cases aren't ones I usually think of as ones looking to complete parallels and such. Panini makes 0 money on the secondary market. Case breakers and box/pack resellers are their clientele.

What I'd recommend is double checking Panini's website - http://www.paniniamerica.net/checklists.cfm - and verifying that the card in question is actually not there. Then head over to their Customer Support page and click the "Start a Request" button to open a ticket with their help desk. The three options aren't great but I think Quality Assurance most likely fits the bill since their incomplete checklists don't assure collector's of quality (see what I did there?).

I found their customer service reps to be responsive even if I didn't get my questions answered.

Thank you, this is helpful.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast