Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

Does anyone have experience with Upper Deck replacing your cards? Need some help.

I could really use some feedback from those that have returned cards to Upper Deck, I would like to know what they got back in return for the card they sent in.

My case is probably unusual because I obtained the following card a few months back and if you haven't noticed - the patches on the card are reversed .. McDavid's patch is on Matthews side and Matthews patch is on McDavid's side..

Well, I contacted Upper Deck about it and they did realize that it's certainly an "error" or .... I don't know what to really call it however they did offer to replace it.. They sent me the following:

" We have spoken with our product development team who has confirmed that is an error card. Please send us your complete mailing address and phone number and we can start the process of having that card replaced. The process would include having your original card returned to us, and then we could send you a card with correct memorabilia items. Thank you for your assistance, we hope you have a good day."

First off I think Upper Deck has done a great job thus far, they were really quick and got this issue resolved (up to this point) very fast so hats off to them...

However my main concern is how Upper Deck intends to replace a SP Game Used Dual McDavid/Matthews Patch limited to /25?

As can be seen above - Upper Deck promised to replace this card with a card that has "correct memorabilia items".....

What exactly does that mean?

Does Upper Deck have a dual low serial numbered McDavid/Matthews GU patch lying around? or when Upper Deck says "correct memorabilia items" - they mean they're going to send me a dual Joe Thornton/Thomas Hertl GU patch??

I suppose my question is: If I send this card back can I expect a card as good if not better than the card I sent in?

I mean it's kind hard to top that card.. If Upper Deck has serial numbered cards laying around that are limited to /25 then numbered cards aren't as unique as we may have thought.

So yea, it would be great to hear the experiences of those that have been in my position before so I can make a better decision.... Because like I said - I don't want to send this card off then get some junk and a grading coupon in return..

Then again perhaps I should keep this card? How often does an "error card" of this magnitude make it out to the collector at this stage of the hobby?

Thanks in advance.

- Nick

SCF Rewards
    Country

I sent some damaged OPC Platinum cards back to them a couple years ago. Process was not as painful as i thought it would be. They sent me back better cards than i sent them so i was pretty happy about that. I probably got double value of what i sent in. Overall i was pretty pleased with the whole process but have also heard some horror stories too. Hopefully they fix this for you as that is a pretty nice card. Cheers

Dispute Assistant Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See JSOKOL1626's Items on eBay

To answer your question regarding Upper Deck replacements and customer satisfaction I've had mixed results and believe other members might feel the same. I have never had an experience where I received a repaired version of the exact card and have never received the same player(s) from the subset I submitted. Meaning it is unlikely your replacement will be a McDavid/Matthews SPGU All Star Skills #/25. So, if you decide to return the card there is a chance the replacement might not be as appealing to you.
    Your post states that you"obtained" the card, which implies that you acquired it with the knowledge that it was an error. What were your intentions at that time? If you're a collector of McDavid and (or) Matthews I would recommend keeping the card for its rarity. Should you decide to return it there is a strong likelihood you will receive similar 'book value' but less sales value and that can be disappointing. If you don't plan on keeping it consider taking offers from buyers or traders before deciding which route to take. Sending it to UD is a gamble.
    I trade by BV so please don't reference EBAY.

Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

To answer your question regarding Upper Deck replacements and customer satisfaction I've had mixed results and believe other members might feel the same. I have never had an experience where I received a repaired version of the exact card and have never received the same player(s) from the subset I submitted. Meaning it is unlikely your replacement will be a McDavid/Matthews SPGU All Star Skills #/25. So, if you decide to return the card there is a chance the replacement might not be as appealing to you.
    Your post states that you"obtained" the card, which implies that you acquired it with the knowledge that it was an error. What were your intentions at that time? If you're a collector of McDavid and (or) Matthews I would recommend keeping the card for its rarity. Should you decide to return it there is a strong likelihood you will receive similar 'book value' but less sales value and that can be disappointing. If you don't plan on keeping it consider taking offers from buyers or traders before deciding which route to take. Sending it to UD is a gamble.

Thanks for the input.

I won the card on ebay because I wanted the card.. And honestly I didn't notice the issue until I got the card in the mail. I kind of bought it on a whim, there was only a few minutes left in the auction when I won it so... Honestly the "error" doesn't bother me at all and I am satisfied card. However, I have received messages pointing out the error on ebay and I'm wondering if it affects the value.

The card to me is mostly a trader, I do however collect SPGU cards and I presently have the card on ebay. If it sells for the price I want then I'm fine with that, but at the same time I'm also fine with it sitting in my collection... I'm in no rush to move it.

I just figured if Upper Deck would give me something I would actually want for it I would do it, but I'm not going to gamble with this card.

I'm just surprised UD didn't catch the error in production. You would think someone in quality control would have noticed the obvious mistake before it made it onto the market.

Also, to my knowledge this is the first serial numbered UD Game Used material card issued with both McDavid and Matthews as a combo, and that is one of the reasons why I bought it.. I was going to buy the jersey version but the patch was listed on ebay at the same time so I went for the patch..

Does anyone know what this card books at?

I don't usually use Beckett to price my cards, tho I would be interested to know what Beckett believes it's worth.. My guess is perhaps $150.00 to $200.00?

IMO, this card and other limited SPGU cards are only going to go up in value over the years once the majority of these limited cards find their way into PC's, and that's one of the reasons I like this product, hence this card - it's value has nothing but upside..

I think I'm going to keep it, or at least not send it to Upper Deck.. I'll let it sit on ebay until I get what I want out of it or until I commit it to my PC.

Dispute Assistant Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See JSOKOL1626's Items on eBay

Beckett has it at BV $125. You got it for a good price and believe its value will increase so why gamble it away?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See scotforti's Items on eBay

I've only had a replacement done once through upper deck and it went perfectly - they gave me a replacement for the card (the exact same card just another one that wasn't damaged) as well as 2 or 3 extra bonus things which weren't anything special but still nice to receive

EDIT (since i posted before reading your post): KEEP THE CARD!!! That's a fantastic card and it's crazy to gamble with that unless you can somehow convince upper deck to commit to giving you something reasonably specific that you're happy with - but I doubt they'll commit to that.
    Last edited by Stryfex; 04-03-2019 at 03:07 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Country

"If Upper Deck has serial numbered cards laying around that are limited to /25 then numbered cards aren't as unique as we may have thought."

I dont think anyone thinks /25 cards are really that unique or limited in todays hobby

As for replacements cards, the only card I replaced was a 05/06 The Cup RC Au Patch Jeff Carter. It had a small amount of damage, and I asked for the same card with an equal patch or better. Card was a 2clr / came back a 3clr .... and I was happy
    *** Main PC - Roberto Luongo ***
    *** MOST WANTED - 12/13 PRIME COLORS "PATCH" ROBERTO LUONGO x/8 ***

Flickr ( not updated ) - Hidden Content
    Trade List - Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country

Beckett has it at BV $125. You got it for a good price and believe its value will increase so why gamble it away?

I'm not sending it back to Upper Deck, tho they did get back to me and had the audacity to say this:

"We are unable to replace cards purchased on the secondary market. Thank you for your assistance, we hope you have a good day."

That response kind of pissed me off.

How I obtained the card is absolutely irrelevant. This card is not damaged - it's a manufacturing/production or design error, hence they're the ones that screwed up, and if I wanted to send the card back they should take it - and I just told them that.

Using Upper Deck's logic they wont honor redemption cards that are purchased on the secondary market.

I would totally understand UD's position if I wanted the card replaced because it was damaged but I never claimed this card was damaged - it's clearly an error.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See robbypod's Items on eBay

good chance its not a mistake and the matthews swatch is from team usa? just a thought

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I'm not sending it back to Upper Deck, tho they did get back to me and had the audacity to say this:

"We are unable to replace cards purchased on the secondary market. Thank you for your assistance, we hope you have a good day."

That response kind of pissed me off.

How I obtained the card is absolutely irrelevant. This card is not damaged - it's a manufacturing/production or design error, hence they're the ones that screwed up, and if I wanted to send the card back they should take it - and I just told them that.

Using Upper Deck's logic they wont honor redemption cards that are purchased on the secondary market.

I would totally understand UD's position if I wanted the card replaced because it was damaged but I never claimed this card was damaged - it's clearly an error.

The reason they state that they cannot replace cards from the secondary market is essentially them giving themselves protection. This hobby, unfortunately, attracts some lowlife people. People who fake patches. People who alter cards. People who sell damaged cards, etc.

If I buy a card from a guy on eBay and it shows up damaged, who is accountable? The eBay seller. I can't go to Upper Deck in that situation and request replacement because it wasn't factory damaged, and even if it was there's now a layer of removal that says that it could have been damaged by the previous owner.

This industry has a long legacy of patch fakers, and unfortunately that plays a role in that card's current situation. Yes we *know* it is probably incorrect from the original source (UD) but it's exchanged hands at least once before making its way to you. At that point, it's no longer a situation where UD has liability. May not like it, but it is what it is.

I have, in the past, had memorabilia cards replaced and corrected. Similar thing where the pieces were obviously switched up. I was the original owner, and they were great with the process. Even threw in an extra card.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast