Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Reactions to Alex Ovechkin's Hit

By Adam Gretz

It's probably a matter of perspective when discussing Alex Ovechkin's hit on Sergei Gonchar during Pittsburgh's 5-3 win on Friday night. The hit, which resulted in Gonchar leaving the game with an undisclosed injury, appeared as if it were a knee-on-knee hit, while the Capitals' superstar was issued a two-minute minor for tripping.

Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma would not offer any information regarding the severity of Gonchar's injury, but the tone of his voice and his facial expressions weren't exactly promising if you're the Penguins.

http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2009/05/08/r...ovechkins-hit/

Country
    See KevMateya's Items on eBay

Dirty, Dirty, Dirty... That is all I can say.

Based on pictures and video I have seen, Ovy was going to completely miss Gonch with the hit, so he stuck his knee out at the very end. I will not lie though, I myself have played hockey before and if I am trying to completely lay someone out like Ovy was trying to do and you completely miss them, you try to stick out whatever you can just to get a piece of them instead of feeling like an idiot with the miss.

Of course, Ovy apologized after the game and the NHL does not have enough guts (for lack of a better word which would get me in trouble) to suspend a player like him. If this was the regular season, I could see the NHL giving him at least a one game suspension.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Buffalo Sabres Colorado Avalanche
    Twitter: @@DGeschwender See metalica7's Items on eBay Upper Deck ePack

All Pens fans will say it was dirty, all Caps fans will say it was fine. There's never going to be an agreement on this one

Country
    See 41mears41's Items on eBay

We need people to stop being homers. We can't debate because of homers. ARGH I wanna debate. Dirty no. And I am a Pens fan. Go Staal!

Country

I call it reckless or careless, not really dirty though. AO didn't go out of his way to make knee on knee, but i like to believe he is agile enough to minimize knee on knee contact when it was pretty obvious he was not gonna get a clean shoulder on Gonch.

Country

I call it reckless or careless, not really dirty though. AO didn't go out of his way to make knee on knee, but i like to believe he is agile enough to minimize knee on knee contact when it was pretty obvious he was not gonna get a clean shoulder on Gonch.

I'll give him that much, yea.

Country
    See terpstradust's Items on eBay

Im an oilers fan so unbiased here.

It's not a dirty hit. His knee stays in the line of his body. Ovechkin has a wider stance than most skaters and so his kness are always a little farther out. If you watch very close you can see how he trys to get the shoulder into Gonchar. Gonchar moves his upper body sideways but leaves his knee out there. Ovechkin's knee doesn't move off his line. I agree it is definitely a tripping call and he could have gotten 5 minutes do to the severity of the injury but in no way is this hit dirty or worthy of a suspension.

Blog Entries
    Country

definately a wreckless hit... totally uncalled for. But I still want Washington to win!

Country

I'll give him that much, yea.

Not mush we can do about. There should not be a suspension. Besides i would much rather AO be on the ice for the rest of the series. If we keep our intensity we finally found and if the Caps D doesnt find a second wind, i want him out there when we win. It will make it that much better.

I just saw we recalled Goligoski. Unless HCDB decided to dress 7 defense tonight since they got a heavy load of ice time last night, i don't see him in tonight game. But it does beg the question how bad Sarge is hurt? Are they not expecting him later in this series and they have goligoski up to practice so he ready baring another injury, or is this just some mind games?

Country

Not mush we can do about. There should not be a suspension. Besides i would much rather AO be on the ice for the rest of the series. If we keep our intensity we finally found and if the Caps D doesnt find a second wind, i want him out there when we win. It will make it that much better.

I just saw we recalled Goligoski. Unless HCDB decided to dress 7 defense tonight since they got a heavy load of ice time last night, i don't see him in tonight game. But it does beg the question how bad Sarge is hurt? Are they not expecting him later in this series and they have goligoski up to practice so he ready baring another injury, or is this just some mind games?

I think HCDB is planning on dressing GoGo AND Gonch tonight. As of right now, Gonch is still considered a game time decision. Even if Gonch is out, GoGo will be another dangerous asset to our powerplay, he was great at it earlier this season.

Personally, it seems like HCDB is playing both mind games as well as being smart about the situation. All in all...

Lets...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast