Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Blues
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Big fan of Paypal here. I was actively trading/buying/selling on Beckett, Yahoo auctions, Ebay prior to Paypal. Paypal radically changed everything for the better, and is worth the 2.9% fee. No more fears of being ripped off (every transaction is insured) and it has sped the process up by several days. Love it.

Ebay, on the other hand, has taken a serious nosedive due to policy changes, the systematic elimination of the small seller, and promotion of Chinese junk products.

SCF Rewards
    Country

As Maggot mentioned on the next page, PayPal is a godsend really.

Gone are the days where I've waited for money to come in the form of a US postal money order and then have to wait for that to clear (usually 3 weeks) before sending the item across countries.

The fees really aren't that bad for PayPal. Ebay on the otherhand is quite ridiculous. You can still request international money orders or certified cheques, but the process just takes longer. In this day and age, it's all about instant gratification!

I am well aware that the two are now separate entities, but it doesn't matter...they are still linked in a sense, because most sellers require PayPal or there's no deal on ebay. Both systems are flawed and it isn't worth the headache to get PayPal account. If the ebay fees don't get you, PayPal's fees will.

I don't see much logic to "get with it" if I gotta pay crazy extra fees one way or the other.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Cleveland Indians Buffalo Sabres Buffalo Bulls
    See scottkoz20's Items on eBay Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack
    Send PayPal to scottkoz20 Member is PayPal Verified

I'm going to tag @CoolHandLuke because I can

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (28)
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    See anth-toop's Items on eBay

As Maggot mentioned on the next page, PayPal is a godsend really.

Gone are the days where I've waited for money to come in the form of a US postal money order and then have to wait for that to clear (usually 3 weeks) before sending the item across countries.

The fees really aren't that bad for PayPal. Ebay on the otherhand is quite ridiculous. You can still request international money orders or certified cheques, but the process just takes longer. In this day and age, it's all about instant gratification!

I have other reasons why I don't have a PayPal account aside from the fees and other headaches.

Perhaps I should post about it.

SCF Rewards
    Country

To be honest it could help sellers, for most its only a few bucks. It hurts people that list thousands of items and get giant refunds. It will allow ebay to be selective as to which sellers get better discounts. Im sure that goes on behind the scenes. How it would help people just selling a few things is it might stop people from listing so many items and stop people from deflating their prices a little. Less supply, higher prices. In the end the market will adjust.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See montagna2006's Items on eBay

PayPal is usually great in terms of convenience, protection and charges. But they also reserve the right to freeze your account for any number of reasons and they don't necessarily have to explain why or tell you for how long. If you read the User Agreement section on Restricted Activities and Holds, there are many reasons including copyright infringement and "complaints". https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mp...ted-activities. It doesn't happen often but there are a few horror stories out there. Really any banking institution can really ruin your day but that has to do with consumer protection laws.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See montagna2006's Items on eBay

Why increased fees? eBay Inc is a publicly traded corporation and profits and growth are extremely important. They've expanded their reach with the "eBay Classifieds Group" that includes a dozen global brands of online classifieds like Ruten, Gumtree, and Shopping.com. They also own and run StubHub and don't forget they make money in listing real estate & motor vehicles too. Imagine getting a cut of almost EVERY item sold on the internet by private individuals and private companies? eBay is becoming THE commerce platform for all entrepreneurs, small businesses, and individual sellers.

It takes money to expand. Increased net revenue allows them to expand their reach by buying up smaller commerce sites and increased revenue is required to drive the stock value and make stockholders money. Seller fees will increase for everyone. The Top-Rated Seller "discount" system is really a fee structure based on profit. Decreasing the Top-Rated Seller "discount" by 50% and increasing the FV Fees for those not contributing at least $1000 & 100 items/year in fees by about 50% ensures that everyone will "contribute" to increasing the revenue stream.

And as a US seller, the additional Top-Rated Seller requirement to upload valid shipment tracking within my promised handling time for US transactions increases from a minimum of 90% to 95%.

In the end, it's still better for most sellers to have a commerce platform like eBay for selling in terms of convenience, customer base, and security. But by transferring the costs of expanding the company to us crowds out the smaller seller. It may benefit the larger sellers by decreasing competition but the effects on price and item variety aren't clear. Welcome to the global economy.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Why increased fees? eBay Inc is a publicly traded corporation and profits and growth are extremely important. They've expanded their reach with the "eBay Classifieds Group" that includes a dozen global brands of online classifieds like Ruten, Gumtree, and Shopping.com. They also own and run StubHub and don't forget they make money in listing real estate & motor vehicles too. Imagine getting a cut of almost EVERY item sold on the internet by private individuals and private companies? eBay is becoming THE commerce platform for all entrepreneurs, small businesses, and individual sellers.

It takes money to expand. Increased net revenue allows them to expand their reach by buying up smaller commerce sites and increased revenue is required to drive the stock value and make stockholders money. Seller fees will increase for everyone. The Top-Rated Seller "discount" system is really a fee structure based on profit. Decreasing the Top-Rated Seller "discount" by 50% and increasing the FV Fees for those not contributing at least $1000 & 100 items/year in fees by about 50% ensures that everyone will "contribute" to increasing the revenue stream.

And as a US seller, the additional Top-Rated Seller requirement to upload valid shipment tracking within my promised handling time for US transactions increases from a minimum of 90% to 95%.

In the end, it's still better for most sellers to have a commerce platform like eBay for selling in terms of convenience, customer base, and security. But by transferring the costs of expanding the company to us crowds out the smaller seller. It may benefit the larger sellers by decreasing competition but the effects on price and item variety aren't clear. Welcome to the global economy.

Translation: ebay is greedy

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Dallas Cowboys Toronto Raptors
    Twitter: @@SCardCollective See SportsCardCollective's Items on eBay Instagram:

This is a interesting post.. great to see the open discussion go so smoothly.. I for one just take the Fee's and sadly enough have to deal with them..!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Chicago Cubs Chicago Blackhawks Chicago Bears
    Upper Deck ePack

I sell stuff on ebay and break my back "not literally" to meet the standards for Top Seller status for the discounts and this change will make a difference in my take home after all fees amount. I don't like the change at all.

BUT...

I choose to sell on ebay as do all sellers and I will continue to do so. If you are so unhappy selling items on "their" site not yours, just stop selling items there and away goes that issue.

Just some food for thought.

Hidden Content | Hidden Content | T.J. Oshie Patch Archive

Hidden Content

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12