Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

The 10 Greatest American Hockey Players Ever

Hockey has always been a game dominated by Canadian players, though in recent years it has become an increasingly international sport. But American players have always had a major role in the game, particularly in the National Hockey League.

We’ll be taking a look at the 10 greatest American players of all time, along with some honorable mentions. We’ll be judging based not only on a player’s NHL career but his or her contributions at the collegiate and international level, as well. Without further ado, let’s take a look.

10) Jeremy Roenick

https://thehockeywriters.com/10-grea...-players-ever/

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Antonio Spurs
    Twitter: @pwskelly See pwskelly's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

I do not think there is any doubt, that Quick is the most successful goaltender in American hockey history. I was disappointed to see no mention of Mike Richter however, the guy had a pretty great career both internationally and in the NHL.

Hidden Content

Collecting Mike Liut, Andrei Markov
    and Montréal Canadiens.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    St Louis Blues
    COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Hull should absolutely be considered an American hockey player - I mean he's certainly not considered a Canadian one. Therefore he should top this list.

I'll leave this for your consideration
    bgdcn4d9r1431.jpg

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

It's a weird list, and not sure how to really read it.

I could take Keith Tkachuk as an "honorable mention" (like he is at the start of the list). If someone were to suggest that he's the 11th or 12th greatest American hockey player - I'd buy that.

Phil Housley isn't really "on the list" though. He's down as an HM under Brian Leetch at #4 - which makes no sense, as he's absolutely a top-10 American player.

Hull may not have been born in the USA, but certainly counts as an American if you're talking about the "10 Greatest American Hockey Players Ever". ONLY if you add the "Born" qualifier, should he not be on the list.

Neal Broten? Not in the top 20. He's being included because he had the most successful career of any of the Miracle On Ice guys...... and the writer thinks that someone from that team needs to be on the list. They don't. That's what makes that team even more special, IMO.

In no particular order: Hull, Modano, Roenick, Mullen, Leetch, Housley, Lafontaine, Chelious, Kane would be my "top 9 skaters", and Richter, Barrasso, and Quick (in some order) would be the top 3 goalies. Doug Weight is one of my all time favorite players.... I'd have him in the next handful of skaters too (along with Tkachuk, Mark Howe, Amonte... and maybe Broten? Some active guys are going to move up on that list pretty soon too).

Cami Granato is a hard one to quantify. One of the greatest women hockey players of all time? Yes. Very hard to compare her (or any of the women) to men, when making these kinds of lists..... which is exactly why the HHOF has separate categories.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

That what makes these list so fun as everyone has a different opinion. Plus, I always learn something as I never knew the history behind Baker.

Don
    Last edited by doniceage; 07-08-2019 at 03:14 PM.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

That what makes these list so fun as everyone has a different opinion. Plus, I always learn something as I never knew the history behind Baker.

Don

Yeah.... I left Baker out of my reply. I don't object to him being on a top 10 list (I knew a bit about him before, that list added a little to my knowledge too). The original 6 era (1942-1967) is the oldest era where I can wrap my head around it, and try and form an opinion for these kinds of "lists". Anyone who pre-dates that... I simply don't know how to include them.

Newsy Lalonde or Cyclone Taylor (for example) are considered the first two real "superstars" in hockey - but you never see them in a "top 10 all time" lists (or even top 25). Shore, Vezina, and Morenz are another three that area always talked about like all-time legends too, but you never see them ranked particularly high in "all time" lists.

So anyone from the early days of hockey - like Baker - I dunno. Are they a top 10 player of all time? Top 10 important? Influential? I think for sure. "Greatest" doesn't necessarily mean "Best" (which I think is an important distinction). I think it's even more subjective, but it does make these kinds of conversations fun.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Yeah.... I left Baker out of my reply. I don't object to him being on a top 10 list (I knew a bit about him before, that list added a little to my knowledge too). The original 6 era (1942-1967) is the oldest era where I can wrap my head around it, and try and form an opinion for these kinds of "lists". Anyone who pre-dates that... I simply don't know how to include them.

Newsy Lalonde or Cyclone Taylor (for example) are considered the first two real "superstars" in hockey - but you never see them in a "top 10 all time" lists (or even top 25). Shore, Vezina, and Morenz are another three that area always talked about like all-time legends too, but you never see them ranked particularly high in "all time" lists.

So anyone from the early days of hockey - like Baker - I dunno. Are they a top 10 player of all time? Top 10 important? Influential? I think for sure. "Greatest" doesn't necessarily mean "Best" (which I think is an important distinction). I think it's even more subjective, but it does make these kinds of conversations fun.

So with your statement I googled "the NHL first true superstar" or close to that and Cyclone came up 2nd next to Howie Morenz. Always, love reading people stories as usually in each story their a little hidden gem that might not have been turned over in another previous article you read. I am sure the members of SCF would have a whole list of who they think would be the NHL first true superstar lol.

DON

SCF Rewards
    Country

Remove Broten.....insert Housley and the list is acceptable enough for me.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

As Sean noted Broten just there because of The Miracle!

Don

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

As Sean noted Broten just there because of The Miracle!

Don

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast