Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Dallas Cowboys
    See krunchtyme's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

If you collect graded cards (any years/brands/sports, even non-sport) please respond to this thread

The reason for this thread is to gauge the interest in Graded cards. Plus, if others respond, we will know who to contact with questions, new cards for trade/sale, etc. I think it is hard to find the graded card thread because it is under Vintage, but not all graded cards are vintage. Since I am not sure how many people even purchase/own graded cards, it could be the perfect place for them.

1. Which grader do you prefer and why?

For me, PSA. I started my graded collection with them and have stuck with them. I will buy other grading company cards, but with the intention of doing cross over grading.

2. What do you collect?

I collect Dallas Cowboys and Drew Brees. Yup...all. I try to get everything pre-1990 graded, after that it turns into an entire crap show with some many brands, parallels, etc. I also collect 1936 Public Enemy vs Govt. Agents cards/ LOL https://www.psacard.com/psasetregist...facts/14739324

3. How often do you send cards in to be graded?

Not very often. I found in many circumstances it was cheaper for me to buy the card already graded in a grade I could afford then to send in cards that look like 10's and end up 9's that I could buy for less then the cost of the grading.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Minnesota Vikings San Francisco 49ers Milwaukee Bucks

I Collect Nick Bosa I buy the Graded Cards. If anyone has any. I would trade.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I'm a hockey collector. I've avoided graded cards for the most part, simply because of uniformity. I've got two primary collections. One is player focused (Bill Ranford, I collect everything) and one is team focused (Edmonton Oilers, I collect a RC / Autograph / Game Used of everyone to have ever played for the team).

So, each collection is 100s of cards. The Oilers collection actually spans into its 4th 4-row box (all cards are in top loaders) now.

Anytime I get something that's slabbed (be that graded, or from a set where the cards were issued encased), a tallboy, or anything else that can't go into my boxes with the rest of the cards: It drives me nuts!

Of course that describes dozens of cards in that Oilers collection (slabbed, or oversized) so if I add another one, there's a place for it too.

I have never submitted a card for grading, and I suspect I never will. Do I buy them? Yes.

I've got a Wayne Gretzky Rookie Card. I wouldn't have bought a raw one. Too many fakes out there. I was only interested in getting a PSA graded one: I like the holders better from PSA, and they seem to hold more value when talking about vintage stuff.

For my Bill Ranford stuff: I do have an 87-88 Topps RC of his, that's a PSA 10.... and an OPC RC (same season) that's a PSA 9. PSA 10s from his OPC RC don't show up too often... and sell in the $150-$200 range when they do. I won't pay those kinds of numbers.

I decided a while back that any time I come across a Ranford PSA 10 (any set) I'd take a run at it - but I'm only willing to go so high. The grade, for me, has turned a 10 cent common into $10 or $15 card. Maybe $20. I'm not interested when it goes higher than that.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Pittsburgh Steelers Baltimore Orioles Philadelphia Phillies

I only buy them if the price is right and its a player i want

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Antonio Spurs
    Twitter: @pwskelly See pwskelly's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

I prefer BGS for modern issue. Their cases are top notch and in my opinion offer the best protection. For vintage, I prefer PSA as they seem to dominate the market for vintage issued cards.

2. What do you collect?

I collect Liut, Bryzgalov, Vasilevskiy, SP Game Used Supreme cards, and Montreal Canadiens.

I used to send in cards 2-3 times a year as part of a group submission however I find it easier in many cases to purchase graded copies online for less than what I would
    normally pay to have my own card graded.
    Last edited by pwskelly; 05-28-2020 at 11:57 AM.

Hidden Content

Collecting Mike Liut, Andrei Markov
    and Montréal Canadiens.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Chicago Bears TCU Horned Frogs

PSA mostly because of the Set Registry. I also just prefer for no other reason than personal preference. I don’t resell so non of that matters to me. I used to hate graded cards and honestly if it’s not in a set from the registry I am working on I’d rather have a raw card.

2. What do you collect?

Again, just the Set Registry
    All four Mike Singletary Sets (Basic, Master, Basic Topps & Master Topps)
    Bears Hall Of Fame
    All Time Bears

I never have but plan to really soon. I’d never complete the registry sets if I don’t eventually send in some of my raw PC cards. I have even started buying common cards in bulk up to 20 to 30 at a time so I can pick out the best one to send in and hope for the best.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See fifthcup90's Items on eBay

Though I have way more PSA than SGC, if I always had a choice and could be consistent with one I would probably say SGC. I just like the aesthetics especially on vintage which is all I collect in graded.

2. What do you collect?

Graded, I collect Unitas (SGC for my run though this is almost finished and PSA when I can't pass up a deal), and the rest of these specific collections are PSA: Staubach, '70s Cowboys, Dynasty Dolphins '71-'74 mainly, '71 thru '76 A's, '70 thru '77 Kellogg's A's, and in hockey Jari Kurri and Gretzky '80s. Beyond that I collect various players I liked (Len Dawson, Alworth, Orr, Fuhr, and others) and have both SGC and PSA though heavily tilted towards PSA just because of availability. I collect the same subjects in raw versions, in addition to all of my set building (football, hockey, baseball) of the '70s and moving down into the '60 and my subset collections (playoff/WS and playoff/SB, etc)

I have never submitted a card for grading myself, though a friend submitted two to PSA for me.
    Last edited by kurri17; 05-28-2020 at 02:42 PM.
    I collect: Kurri, '70s Kelloggs and Topps hockey(also OPC), football, and baseball cards, vintage stars and World Series subset cards.

Football Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Member is PayPal Verified

I sent my first cards in to BGS in 2000. I preferred their .5 grading system along with 4 subgrades. I tend to be a data driven person so any additional clarity on condition is a bonus for me. I was turned off when they launched BVG and stopped putting sub grades on vintage cards, further disillusioned when they started BCCG, and even more so when they released a BGS product without subs. While I also prefer the case, if I had to do it over again knowing the changes in store, I probably would have gone with PSA or SGC.

2. What do you collect?

I'm a set builder by nature, appreciating well designed sets, interesting inserts, and decent to large sized checklists. My particular flavor is Topps Finest, the best set ever that blazed the trail for a lot of what is beloved by the hobby today (chromium tech, refractors, far out designs, etc). When there's time I'll pick up Chicago Bears cards, Walter Payton, or Alshon Jeffery cards.

Since I'm locked in to the BGS environment, I've been slow as the guaranteed returns have all but disappeared from their offering. I'll hop on group subs on occasion and it's a blast getting returns. Being able to add to my BGS registry is a ton of fun and if grading were cheaper I'd be willing to branch out to other registries.

http://registry.beckett.com/set-deta...actors_2061986

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Dallas Cowboys

@jplcom

WOW!!! That is one of the best looking sets I have seen!!!!!!!! Man, if I find ANY 1999 Finest Refractors you re missing, I'll know where to go!!!!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Dallas Cowboys

It seems we all have the same issues.

1. A .10 card now becomes a $20 card
    2. Easier and cheaper to find them on the market than to send them in for grading
    3. PSA is most common

I hate that Beckett started all this BVG, BCCG, etc... Good stuff. Any one else?

All that being said, I am probably going to take another plunge and re-up my PSA Account. It's been inactive since 2011 I think. The last time I sent in any of my own stuff.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast