Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thumbs down Beckett Grading Suspends 10-Day Service

https://www.beckett.com/news/beckett...0-day-service/

Well, if you have not heard the rumbles/rumors, we are here to confirm that BGS will be temporarily suspending the 10-day service for the next few weeks. It might sound like a crazy thing to do with the strength of the market and number of cards coming in for grading but it is a move we feel is necessary right now. We are going to pull the curtain back slightly and let you know why we have decided to do this, at one of the busiest times of the year.

-We are closing in on an 11-month turnaround on non-guaranteed orders…that is simply not acceptable or fair to our customers. Our goal during this 10-day service hiatus will be to work on this backlog and get the turnaround back to an acceptable level. The non-guaranteed service was created so people could save some money on their submissions, especially on cards that might have a little lower value or large quantity orders. It was not created to hold our customer’s cards in our vault for a year.

Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See rydlar99's Items on eBay

Maybe hire a few more people if they're so busy? I know I send a LOT more cards in now than I use to, because it's easy & convenient to do so with COMC. (Though, they have temporarily suspended BGS submissions due to this as well.)

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Maybe hire a few more people if they're so busy? I know I send a LOT more cards in now than I use to, because it's easy & convenient to do so with COMC. (Though, they have temporarily suspended BGS submissions due to this as well.)

I don't pretend to know what Beckett's internal business structure looks like (according to Wikipedia they're not a huge company, only 135 employees under the entire umbrella for the price guides, website, and grading services), but it's never just that easy. Hiring process, interviews, HR, training and getting people up to speed (you want a guy on his first day handling & grading your $1000 McDavid card?), having to divert your limited manpower to that training, setting up whatever benefits, etc. for what could be a short-term solution may not be in their business interests.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Connexionhck (72)
    Country
    See thal_corbeil's Items on eBay Instagram:

Not easy hiring people these days. We see it a lot here in Quebec, all businesses need employees, restaurants are closing, poor service in fast food restaurants due to lack of employees. Probably the same in other provinces and in the States. As the other member said, it's not an easy thing to train new employees, specially when there’s not enough time to train them.
    I collect game used and autographed cards of Beliveau, Lafleur and Maurice Richard. Can consider other nice Habs cards too.
    Flicker: Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Blowout (44)
    Country
    Cincinnati Reds Texas Rangers

Sounds like a fair & acceptable reason & definitely makes sense.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See https://www.ebay.com/usr/nine_pockets's Items on eBay Instagram:

I wonder what it's like to be a grader, day in and day out.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I wonder what it's like to be a grader, day in and day out.

I'd imagine it would get boring pretty quick...

SCF Rewards
    Country

Not easy hiring people these days. We see it a lot here in Quebec, all businesses need employees, restaurants are closing, poor service in fast food restaurants due to lack of employees. Probably the same in other provinces and in the States. As the other member said, it's not an easy thing to train new employees, specially when there’s not enough time to train them.

The hiring issue is definitely bigger in Canada. The cost of rent/living is so high in most major cities, that people simply cannot afford to live off the average wage.

My guess is that Beckett doesn't pay their staff a fortune, and rely on the passion of their employees for their hobby. There are fewer people truly passionate about the hobby now. The cost of the products is also much higher. So you basically have to find someone who is both passionate about the hobby, but also willing to work for a salary that won't allow them to afford to actually partake in the hobby. Good luck.

I've been waiting several months for my biggest ever submission (over 70 cards).....11 months for non-guaranteed? Looks like I'll be waiting a lot longer ugghh...