Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thread: English Bulldogs

SCF Rewards
    Country

English Bulldogs

I was thinking about getting an English Bulldog and have done research, but I wanted to get some people with first hand knowledge. Please tell me about experiences with English Bulldogs and any health related issues that arose. BTW I'm not going to get like a $1500 AKC registered one or anything like that, just a free one or one for like a couple hundred dollars that needs adopting. Also it would be accompanying my 7 year old lab mix. Thanks

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See dayzdtomato's Items on eBay

My aunt and uncle have had them for years. They can often have health issues with their hips so that's something to ask about before getting one. They also snore, even when they're awake. I'd probably be inclined to stick with a lab, they're a bit cuddlier, but I have relatives that swear by English Bulldogs so they're not too bad.
    Bring me your Portland Trail Blazers!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See mitcwolf's Items on eBay

We had an English Bulldog when i was smaller... It was great with kids and loved people. He had somekind of seperation anxiety or something and everytime we left the house if there was something within reach for him to chew up and destroy thats exactly what he would do. Ours got hip dysplacia or however you spell it and we eventually had to put him down although to this day i think that he got it because we kept him in a kennel while we weren't home since he chewed everything up

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Army
    Dallas Cowboys NULL
    Twitter: @@Mario78521 See Oxxon's Items on eBay

They have lot of gas which they love to share with their owners.

Blog Entries
    Country
    See SingleDaddyof2's Items on eBay

English Bulldogs are so popular and in demand, I doubt you'll find a free or cheap one. From what I've seen, males are more expensive than females. But they are awesome dogs and get very attached to the family.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

My wife and I are thinking of getting one as well but we are looking at some pups that have like 7 champion bloodlines ($4500 OMG!). I have been told by the breeder that the hips and the jowls are of greatest concern.

Letting them jump (off the bed, on the bed, off the couch, on the couch, etc.) is a big no-no. It puts pressure on their hips. As for their jowls, they need to be cleaned regularly to prevent sores and infection.

OPG Storefront Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    New England Patriots Boston Bruins Boston Red Sox
    Twitter: @patriotsguy See patriots_football_guy's Items on eBay Instagram: Packrip.com Traders COMC Cards For Sale
    Member is PayPal Verified

As many have already mentioned the hips are what to watch for as that is a known problem with that breed. The do "snore' as mentioned as well when they sleep and esp. when they get real excited.