Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tony Boselli Retires

SCF Rewards

Unhappy Tony Boselli Retires

I don't have many favorite players in sports, but he's always been my favorite. He's still IMO the greatest offencive lineman ever.

Boselli never suited up for expansion Texans

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Associated Press

HOUSTON -- Houston Texans offensive left tackle Tony Boselli is planning to retire, according to newspaper and broadcast reports.

Boselli, a five-time Pro Bowler, was taken by the Texans as the first player in the 2002 expansion draft, but has never played for Houston. A shoulder injury sidelined him for the entire 2002 season, and most of the 2001 season.

The Houston Chronicle and Houston television station KRIV cited sources as saying Boselli will retire.

A call to Boselli's agent by The Associated Press was not immediately returned.

The official announcement is expected by the end of the week, the Houston Chronicle reported in its online edition Tuesday night.

Texans General Manager Charley Casserly said through a spokesman that they were discussing Boselli's future and would have a decision at some point, KRIV reported.

The Texans used their first pick in the 2002 expansion draft on Boselli, who had played in just three games the previous season for Jacksonville.

Members of the Texans' staff were optimistic that Boselli, 6-7 and 322 pounds, would make a successful comeback in 2003, but all indications are it will not happen.

Boselli participated in the team's offseason program, which included a three-day minicamp and 14 on-field coaching sessions, but he was unable to participate fully.

Both sides agreed Boselli would see how he felt prior to reporting to training camp before deciding on his future. Strength and range of motion were the key concerns about Boselli's left shoulder, which was operated on once in Jacksonville and twice after the expansion draft.

Boselli counted $7.55 million against the Texans' salary cap in 2002, but he initiated negotiations to lower his base salary to $655,000 in 2003. As a result, he will count only $3.05 million against the cap this season and an additional $3.05 million in 2004. If Boselli had played in 2004, his cap hit would have been $8.05 million.

When healthy, Boselli was considered the premier left offensive tackle in the NFL. He allowed just 15˝ sacks in seven seasons with the Jags, who made him the second selection of the 1995 draft.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

This was inevitable...monetarily, he is set for life...so why risk further bodily harm...

SCF Rewards

I agree, i'm just selfish and want to see him in the league longer. But his wife is gorgeous, he's rich, and very religious, so i guess he's happy.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Boselli was a great player, but I don't feel bad for the Texans...they knew he would not be 100% when they picked him up and I think they rushed him back way too early....

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See IggyWH's Items on eBay

I knew it was only time before this happened since it was announced he'd miss the whole 2002 season. He was great when he was healthy.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Very dominate in college and protected Brunell very well in Jag land....if healthy for his career, he would have been the next Anthony Munoz...

SCF Rewards

What do you guys think the odds are he makes the hall of fame? I never saw Munoz play, but i know he's considered the best ever. I just think boselli is the best O-lineman since Anthony retired. The only ones who come close are Jon Ogden, Larry Allen, and maybe Bruce Mathews, but i still think Tony's better than those 3.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Wow, that sucks. I thought the Texans might be able to get at least 1 good year from him. Oh well, he's a quality guy and I wish him the best.

BGray

See cfa10123's Items on eBay

The Texans are going to be even worse off, even though Boselli was injured a lot. He was a rookie in 1995 and only played 8 years. That's not too long of a career, but he was plagued by injuries.

Tim

SCF Rewards
    See Rocky15231's Items on eBay

thats true, this will hurt the texans

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast