Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See sanjosefuji's Items on eBay

jnuh - sorry for the extra replies... but i just checked my Seahawks PC and guess what I found... a Rick Mirer autograph. So, I'll be posting that card sooner than later. I also just purchased a Todd Van Poppel autograph on COMC, so I'll be added that to my sports bust pc, along with my A's pc. Thanks again for the suggestions.

-Fuji

SCF Rewards
    Country

Sports Card Bust #8: Rick Mirer

This was originally posted on my blog: The Chronicles of Fuji.

Two for the price of one. Last month, I picked up a Rick Mirer card for my Seahawks PC and quickly posted it
    here. Then yesterday morning a member on SCF posted a few suggestions to this thread and low and behold, Mr. Mirer's name popped up. I'm not sure why his name never occurred to me. It's probably because he played on one of my favorite teams and I was in denial. Well there's no hiding from the facts. Rick Mirer is definitely a sports card bust.

He was drafted by the Seattle Seahawks in the first round with the number two pick in the draft. Drew Bledsoe was the first overall pick and he went on to play in four Pro Bowls. In fact there were three other Pro Bowl quarterbacks chosen after Mr. Mirer: Mark Brunell (5th round), Elvis Grbac (8th round), and Trent Green (8th round). Other notable players chosen after Rick Mirer were Michael Strahan, John Lynch, and Jerome Bettis.

But let's get on with the show. Mr. Mirer played for five different teams during his 8 year tenure in the NFL. During those 8 years, he racked up the following stats:

Career QB Rating: 63.5
    Career Passing TD's: 50
    Career Interceptions: 76
    Career Record (Starter): 24 wins - 44 losses

These stats will never earn him a spot in Canton, however Mr. Mirer has earned himself two different spots in my collection. The first spot is in my Seahawks PC and now thanks to jnuh (of SCF), he's part of my sports bust PC.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Sports Card Bust #9 & #10: Matt Bush & Todd Van Poppel

These guys have several things in common. First, they were both drafted out of high school. Second, both were recommended to me by collectors on Sportscardforum.com. Third, their autographs were purchased off of Checkoutmycards.com for $2 or less. Last, but not least, they both played on my favorite teams (Bush w/Padres & Van Poppel w/A's), which is awesome because I get to add their autographs to two different PC's. Another 2 for the price of 1 deal!

Let's start with Matt Bush, the first overall pick in the 2004 MLB draft. Bush wasn't chosen by the Padres, because he was the top talent in the draft. He was drafted by the Padres to save money. Jared Weaver, Jeff Niemann, and Stephen Drew were considered the top prospects in the draft, but they would have commanded premium bonuses that the Padres didn't want to pay. You've gotta love them. At 24 years of age, he still has time to turn things around, however at this stage in his career, he's a huge bust. He has never played in a major league game. In fact, he's never played in a AA or AAA game either. His lifetime minor league average is .219 and he's hit a total of 3 homeruns. In 2007, the Padres switched him from shortstop to pitcher, where he's found minor success. Unfortunately, injuries and issues with the law have slowed him down the past three years. Currently, he has a minor league contract with the Tampa Bay Rays.

While Matt Bush has never been to the Show, Todd Van Poppel was a seasoned 11 year veteran when he hung up his cleats in 2005. He was the 14th pick in the 1990 amateur draft. I've made an exception to my PC rule, because I spent a lot of money on Van Poppel in the early 90's and it still hurts to think about him.

Although he had a fairly lengthy career, he's struggled through most of it. His best season came in 2001 with the Cubs, when he had a 4-1 record with an ERA of 2.52. He's never had more than 7 wins in a season and his career ERA is 5.58, with a 40-52 record to show for it.

Both of them might be considered busts to many collectors out there, but at least they're appreciated in my collection. Welcome Matt & Todd to my Sports Bust PC.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Sports Card Bust #11: Jason Bonsignore

This was originally posted on my blog: The Chronicles of Fuji.

The next addition to my Sports Card Bust PC was once labeled the next Mario Lemieux. Jason Bonsignore attracted scouts attention after scoring 108 points in two seasons at Greece High in New York. A few years later, he began playing in the OHL. That's where scouts started drawing comparisons to Super Mario due to his size and similar playing style. The Edmonton Oilers jumped all over the hype and chose Mr. Bonsignore with the 4th overall pick in the 1994 NHL draft. He is the highest draft pick in Oilers history and unfortunately their biggest bust.

His NHL career lasted 4 seasons, in which he played a total of 79 games. He managed to score an astounding 3 goals and had a total of 16 points. The last time he played in an NHL uniform was during the 98/99 season with the Tampa Bay Lightning. Since then, he's played in a few different leagues and even in Europe. Unfortunately, he won't be remembered for any of those things. Nope, Super Mario 2 shall be remembered as being a huge bust and will now reside in my Sports Card Bust PC.

SCF Rewards
    Country

If you want a good hockey bust fo for Pat Falloon

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks... He's my number two hockey prospect... right after Alexandre Daigle. I actually have a Falloon auto (part of my Sharks PC), but it's mounted in a frame. I'm in the process of acquiring another one... but the guy wants $5 for it. I'm holding out for a better deal... we'll have to wait and see.

If you want a good hockey bust fo for Pat Falloon

SCF Rewards
    Country

Not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but when talking hockey busts Patrik Stefan should come up in conversation.

If I remember correctly he was a number 1 draft pick and never panned out for the Thrashers.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks dahmsie8... great call... I have a Stefan and a draftmate of his... Pavel Brendl lined up and ready to go. I should have them up on my blog by the end of the week.

Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions... please keep them coming. I'm scouring Beckett, COMC, and eBay looking for these guys.

Not sure if it has been mentioned yet, but when talking hockey busts Patrik Stefan should come up in conversation.

If I remember correctly he was a number 1 draft pick and never panned out for the Thrashers.

SCF Rewards
    Country

How about Lawreence Phillips? I havent gone throught the thread since I first stumbled on it so he may be on the list already. And how about anyone my browns drafted from 99-03 lol Courtney Brown, Gerrad Warren (although I guess the Ben McDonald argument would apply for him) or William Green (maybe not high enough to be a bust) Also I am a Tim Couch Collectyor (still ... and sadly enough) So I guess I inderectly have my own bust PC. If you have any TC though LMK.

And for some reason I dont think any bust collection is complete without a 91 score Todd Van Pooppel ... lol I may have one if you would like .. I dont need anything back for it I will just ion a PWE if you want it lol

SCF Rewards
    Country

Lawrence Phillips was drafted with the 6th pick... and I try to hold my PC to only the top 5 picks... but I think I'm going to make an exception. This is an awesome call... and Phillips isn't only a bust... he's a loser.

As for your Cleveland players... several are on my high priority list... it's just a matter of obtaining certified autos of these players. I'll keep my eyes peeled for Couch... I know I have his rookies if you're interested... however the only auto I have is part of my PC.

How about Lawreence Phillips? I havent gone throught the thread since I first stumbled on it so he may be on the list already. And how about anyone my browns drafted from 99-03 lol Courtney Brown, Gerrad Warren (although I guess the Ben McDonald argument would apply for him) or William Green (maybe not high enough to be a bust) Also I am a Tim Couch Collectyor (still ... and sadly enough) So I guess I inderectly have my own bust PC. If you have any TC though LMK.

And for some reason I dont think any bust collection is complete without a 91 score Todd Van Pooppel ... lol I may have one if you would like .. I dont need anything back for it I will just ion a PWE if you want it lol

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast