Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

How do you define a high end card?

This might sound like a stupid question as here on scf it is said to be anything over $100, but is it really this easy to draw the line? opinions?

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I guess high end could mean anything, to anyone. I would agree with a definition like that (worth more than $100) but you could easily argue that anything from 'The Cup' is high end.... anything with a lot print run is high end.... whatever.

The point of the seperation for sale forums though, the $100 difference makes sense. If you're looking to get fire sale prices, or cards on the cheap - I wouldn't bother looking through the High End forum. Likewise, if you're looking for cards that cost a lot of money, you don't need to go through threads of $2 RCs and GUs to find what you're looking for.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See roy.the.greatest's Items on eBay

It is more about the print run in my opinion. But where to draw the line, it is up to your collection if you decide to collect the rarest cards.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

While the definition of "high-end card" can vary from trader to trader, for the sake of simplicity cards with $100 BV and up, as well as NPDTS, have their own forum at SCF. This is generally because owners of cards with such a value prefer to trade them for other high-end cards as opposed to fielding many "I'll give these 10 $25 cards" requests for their $250 Crosby RC. Some folks deal only in high-end cards, so it makes life easier for everybody.

I personally agree with the selection - it's a nice even number that immediately sticks out. A $100 card is obviously a pretty darn good card, so it makes for a good choice. $80 cards are good too, but not quite as good. LOL

It is also handy when you're dealing with exceptionally low-print-run cards. If I've got a Carey Price /9 that I'm looking to trade, it's easier to post that in a relatively select forum to attract offers on similar cards.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See roy.the.greatest's Items on eBay

In terms of value, there are TONS of $100 cards. I don't think the $100 level is enough high to set the level of "high-end cards", too many cards selling at least $100. At $500 we begin to speak, but a $100 card is pretty common in 2009-10.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (32) HI
    Country

only 2 things that bother me are:

1. just because a card is /5 or /10, it is NOT automatically high end.
    2. just because a card is from a "high end" release does NOT make it automatically high end either.

SCF Rewards
    Country

2. just because a card is from a "high end" release does NOT make it automatically high end either.

this is exactly what i had in mind when i posted this thread

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I agree completey, but some people out there would consider it high end. That was all my point was.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jffoland's Items on eBay

i bought a box of superlative and got a M.Brodeur autothreads/9 as my main hit...I saw one go on ebay for 60. something..Im not selling mine , but to me since it is a auto/9 on a game used jersey piece from a future HOF its high end..On the other hand, ive sold an auto/jersey card of a mid level player for more,numbered higher and didnt think it was hight end.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See derzockersports's Items on eBay

I agree completely with 1) but not at all with 2). The Cup is filled with 'high-end' commons. For me, I tend to believe 'high-end' refers more to the overall manufacturing quality than the value.

There are 2 different applications of the term in my mind. A) A 'high-end' release. Everything from ITG Superlative or The Cup or Ultimate Collection is 'high-end'. They are premium cards of (supposedly) higher manufacturing quality. B) A 'high-end' card. A card which meets the same criteria, a premium card with top-quality manufacturing. I wouldn't consider anything UD1-2 'high-end' (SP or low print run isn't enough to get you there - all the patch variations are 'low-end' or 'mid-range' patches) except for an HG insert. SP Authentic Limited Patches could be considered 'high-end', but a regular FW RC is just what a mid-range RC is supposed to be - even Tavares/Crosby/Ovechkin!

Personally, I don't like the price tag qualifier because it becomes too arbitrary, at any price. If you say $100 determines high end, what if you have a $120 card that you'd sell for $80 - is it still 'high-end'? You could argue it too easily either way. I've also seen 'low-end' cards sell for over $100 when set collectors go wild... Price will never make an SP 'high-end', it's just a valuable low-mid range card. Price, to me, simply means 'high-value'.

That's my 2-cents into the pot...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast