Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Chicago Blackhawks Vegas Golden Knights
    Twitter: @CenterIceCC See eahobbies's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

I don't know what to do, HELP NEEDED!

So basically I'm having a problem here, haha. I have no clue what to do with my PC. I really don't know why I even collect Bogosian and I'm am so ticked off right now due to the Hjalmarsson signing that I don't know what to do with that. I want a nice PC, but I don't want everything I have tied into one thing. PLEASE HELP ME.
    Hidden Content
    Collecting Niklas Hjalmarsson, Jaccob Slavin, Ryan Dzingel, Brogan Rafferty, Derek Whitmore, Blackhawks, & 2003-04
    Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

I'd pick a player you like, and are confident you'll still like even if he's traded. Maybe pick a new player every year - and just go after the Rookie Year stuff?

I don't know. I see way too many threads on here saying "who should I collect" and the common theme is always "I want to collect a young guy, who's going to be great, and but not too expensive". People start sinking money into those collections, and then want to dump it 6 months later..... becuase they're collecting a guy they never really had much of an interest in to begin with.

Maybe I'm the wrong guy to be saying it, becuase I do have a player collection that's 98% complete, but is it so bad to have a collection of your favorite player that's only 20% complete?? If Crosby, or Ovechkin, or Toews, or Gretzky, or whoever is your favorite player..... why not just collect what you can of them, instead of worrying about finding a player that you can get everything of? (Not saying that was your motivation behind Bogosian or Hjalmarsson, but that seems to be the motivation behind a lot of 'PCs').

Maybe a Player Collection isn't the thing to do? Go for Blackhawks?? Get a RC / Auto / GU of everybody on the Cup team??

Like I said, I don't know. I say to anyone who's in this hobby - you had better be buying stuff you like, and will still like in a year, in 5 years, or in 20 years. If you're paying cash for singles / trading for singles..... you'll likely NEVER get back what you put in - so it better be worth it.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    HI (26)
    Country
    See geneens123's Items on eBay

I'd pick a player you like, and are confident you'll still like even if he's traded. Maybe pick a new player every year - and just go after the Rookie Year stuff?

I don't know. I see way too many threads on here saying "who should I collect" and the common theme is always "I want to collect a young guy, who's going to be great, and but not too expensive". People start sinking money into those collections, and then want to dump it 6 months later..... becuase they're collecting a guy they never really had much of an interest in to begin with.

Maybe I'm the wrong guy to be saying it, becuase I do have a player collection that's 98% complete, but is it so bad to have a collection of your favorite player that's only 20% complete?? If Crosby, or Ovechkin, or Toews, or Gretzky, or whoever is your favorite player..... why not just collect what you can of them, instead of worrying about finding a player that you can get everything of? (Not saying that was your motivation behind Bogosian or Hjalmarsson, but that seems to be the motivation behind a lot of 'PCs').

Maybe a Player Collection isn't the thing to do? Go for Blackhawks?? Get a RC / Auto / GU of everybody on the Cup team??

Like I said, I don't know. I say to anyone who's in this hobby - you had better be buying stuff you like, and will still like in a year, in 5 years, or in 20 years. If you're paying cash for singles / trading for singles..... you'll likely NEVER get back what you put in - so it better be worth it.

Couldnt agree more
    If crosby gretzky or ovechkin makes you happy then go for it who cares if its not 100% and know that you will always have something to build up to

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Twitter: @CenterIceCC See eahobbies's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack My traders on Flickr

My Hjalmarsson was because I really do like him and was fortunate enough to see him play a few times. I love how he plays the game.

I can't say that about Bogosian.

As for the Hawks idea...already done it, haha.

One guy I am looking at is Blake Geoffrion of my Badgers. I think I might go for him and Nik. I LOVE how Geoffrion plays and have seen him play many times. I think I might sell the Bogosians, buy an Ovy auto and Gretzky auto, and save the rest for Geoffrions.

Does that sound like a good idea?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See v3rs3's Items on eBay

Does that sound like a good idea?

Why do you need other peoples opinions? It really doesn't matter what other people think of your collection. You should collect b/c you want to collect. You're never going to get your money back from your collection, like previously stated so it should be for your own enjoyment. I don't understand why so many people just drop off collections and players so quickly.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Karma-129's Items on eBay

My Hjalmarsson was because I really do like him and was fortunate enough to see him play a few times. I love how he plays the game.

Then I have to say I fail to see the problem. If you like a player, you'll follow him just about anywhere just because you enjoy the way they play the game. If he ends up in San Jose he may even have a chance at another Cup, wouldn't it make you happy to see a player you like become more successful?

As far as Bogosian goes, if you don't like how he plays, why did you start collecting him? He's going to be a tough player to move cards out for because of where he plays. If I had the money right now, I'd consider buying your collection, but I do rather like him lol.

You need to find something you'll want to stick with, and then stick with it. All you're going to do is end up losing money if you keep starting PCs and trying to sell them off. You'll never get your money back (or rarely will).

And what's with the Buffalo avatar? Did I miss something?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See wildwestgal63's Items on eBay

Why do you need other peoples opinions? It really doesn't matter what other people think of your collection. You should collect b/c you want to collect. You're never going to get your money back from your collection, like previously stated so it should be for your own enjoyment. I don't understand why so many people just drop off collections and players so quickly.

Unless you are like me and have Ritola's... his stuff has been rising, thankfully I have most of it

And I agree, and especially with you, you seem to have like 38429 PC's. You post a sale thread saying you need a $100, but no big names are available. Your bucket is a mess, you don't have a trade list. It is so hard to trade with you, because who knows what isn't PC and is. Take some time to get a trade list. Keep one, maybe two PC's. Keep some of your favorites, and than get an organized bucket/trade list up. Don't keep switching PC"s left and right. Find a guy you like, no matter if he is on Chicago, Detroit, Minnesota, wherever and collect him until you just don't enjoy it anymore.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks for the input guys. I started collecting Bogosian because I got a few nice cards at the beginning and knew that he would most likely be a pretty good player down the road.

As for the bucked and tradelist, I honestly want to do that and planned on doing it last weekend but then found out I would be out of town the whole week. When I get home, I will try my best to do so and I will spend a lot of time on it.

This is what I have decided:

Keep Hjalmarsson (This was my plan anyway)
    Sell Bogosians
    Save up for Geoffrion
    Keep a select few cards for my random PC
    And of course, have a nice Hawks collection

The Sabres avatar is for my friend Derek Whitmore. Plus I actually am a Sabres fan too.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Going after the rookie stuff is very nice. I never collected rookie players before Kulikov. I have very good faith in Kulikov, he will be a great NHL player, and I have to say - his cards are not super expensive, and this makes me get sick stuff. If you like a rookie of this year, I'd say you should take this option ...

But, do what this hobby is supposed to be all about : FUN!

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See darkqug's Items on eBay

One guy I am looking at is Blake Geoffrion of my Badgers. I think I might go for him and Nik. I LOVE how Geoffrion plays and have seen him play many times. I think I might sell the Bogosians, buy an Ovy auto and Gretzky auto, and save the rest for Geoffrions.

Since you are a Badgers fan, one thing you can do is have little player collections of Badgers players who go on to play professionally. I have done this with Cornell players (such as David McKee, Matt Moulson, Mike Iggulden, Ryan Vesce) and have been happy with the results. My Cornell player collections will almost certainly not grow in value (well, maybe Moulson if he keeps scoring 30 goals a year, but I'm not holding my breath), but the cards are cheap and interesting (especially minor league and European cards), have meaning to me, and are not tied to the player playing in any one city. It has been a good experience for me, and maybe it could be for you, too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast