There are two types of people in the hobby:

1. A collector
2. What I call an "entrepreneur" or "investor." It may or may not be the right term.

I saw a comment calling essentially an "investor" who purchases these cards / hoarding them to gain a profit.

Yes, in some sense, I agree that it doesn't appear to be the right thing to do but at the same time I would believe they are smart. They see an opportunity to make some coin and the have funds to do it. At the end of the day, no matter what you are involved in, faced with everyday, it is like business. Everyone has a mind set to make money for whatever reason. Make money to fund their own collection, their life, and everyday needs. If they find this opportunity in cards, it's a harsh reality, but you can't blame them.

If I can own all the Cup Rookies of Crosby. I would ask a significant premium for to even let go of one. Do I necessarily collect Crosby... no. Should I be called out if I do this... the answer is why? I am sure people who hoard cards for profit especially in this hobby does like what they own in some sense. It's my favorite card, but I am not a collector of him.

Supply and demand. People ill naturally command high for a premium product.

So yeah, there are two sides of the coin.

I am collector, but to fund my other hobbies in life, if I can make a few bucks, I am up for it as well. Not everything is about money, but hey reality is there. ;)