Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See edthesandwich's Items on eBay

NHL All-Star Draft is BAAAAAAAACK!

From TSN via The Canadian Press:

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=358122

The NHL's all-star draft is coming to Ottawa.

After going through an informal debriefing following the first experiment with the format, Brendan Shanahan expects it to return in 2012 when the all-star game is held at Scotiabank Place. The NHL vice-president came up with the concept for the inaugural all-star draft that was used in Raleigh, N.C., earlier this year.

"I've talked to the players' association and a lot of the players that played in it, and everybody enjoyed it," Shanahan said Tuesday during the NHL's GM meetings. "I think we'll make some tweaks, but I don't think we'll make major changes."

I actually liked the whole format ... and if they can find ways to make it even more viewer-friendly, then more power to them. At least they're trying to spice it up, which is all we can reasonably ask of them.

Hockey Manager

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays San Francisco 49ers
    Twitter: @@RealRGM81 See price31collector's Items on eBay Instagram: COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Good move on their part. I got a kick out of it. It's neat to get to see the players interacting somewhat too - still chuckle over Carey talking to Timmy the Tuna about Weber's slapshot.
    Habs fan and collector! Main PC's: Carey Price, Nick Suzuki, Cole Caufield, Juraj Slafkovsky, and of course...

Hidden Content Hidden Content ! 254 Unique Cards + 23 1/1's!!!

Participate in our Hidden Content , sponsored by Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Freaks (1)
    Country
    See thesnake87's Items on eBay

Please get a different host though... man that was brutal with him there lol IMO

SCF Rewards
    Country

I would like to see Alfredsson or Spezza as a Captain but I have a feeling the NHL will do Crosby vs Ovechkin.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbuying79's Items on eBay

I thought it was very clever. Even if Kessel got picked last =( Although he did get some cash and a free car out of it. Ove's pic of him sitting by himself... He took it well though. I wonder if they are going to change anything or have it identical to this years one.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See edthesandwich's Items on eBay

I thought it was very clever. Even if Kessel got picked last =( Although he did get some cash and a free car out of it. Ove's pic of him sitting by himself... He took it well though. I wonder if they are going to change anything or have it identical to this years one.

Shanahan said the draft style will remain the same ... Brian Burke suggested the last four players be put in a hat so no one has to go through the indignity of being selected last, but these guys are big boys, I'm sure their egos can handle a little good-natured ribbing. Besides, money toward the charity of their choice and a brand new vehicle is a nice consolation prize.

I believe they may do away with the position-draft restrictions ... last time around, the goalies had to be selected by round 10 and the D-men by round 15. I think this time, they may eliminate the D-men restrictions so that, in theory, a defenseman could be taken last. But that sounds like the only major change they have planned.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

The fact that they had the position restrictions kind of negates Kessel as "last picked" in my mind. He was really just the last forward picked. He may have gone before, say, Karlsson (last D) or Hiller (last G) or any number of other guys if there weren't restrictions.

Hockey Advisor

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Blue Jays Hamilton Tiger Cats
    See 30Ranfordfan's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

Yeah, I don't think the egos are really as hurt as people think.

Between the extra cash, the free car, and the fact that he makes millions a year - I doubt there is really a whole lot that will bruise Kessel's (or any of the all stars) egos.

If they're not going to change the format - I hope they're at least going to change the format of the interviews. It was painful to watch at some points.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See TMacfreak91's Items on eBay

Great news IMO, I thought it was a great idea and was really out of the box compared to either East vs West or North America vs World...at least the league is making some progress!

Steve

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs Toronto Maple Leafs
    See durangatang7's Items on eBay

I would like to see Alfredsson or Spezza as a Captain but I have a feeling the NHL will do Crosby vs Ovechkin.

They would both have to make the all star team to be captains....

They might do that though, because of where it is, just like they made Staal a captain and put Skinner on the team even though he probably shouldn't have been. The NHL is slowly realizing it is about the fans so they should strive to make the fans happy.