Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Assistant General Manager

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country

Pass or Fail: Mario Lemieux’s plan to fine teams for suspensions

The five-point plan announced by NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman at the GM meetings in Boca Raton included the following recommendation:

"I will be discussing with the Board of Governors at the June meetings the fact that I intend to, for next season, provide that clubs will ultimately be responsible for the acts of their players so that if a player or players on a club are the subjects of repeat disciplinary procedures and resultant supplemental discipline, ultimately it is the club and perhaps the coach that will be held responsible."

According to ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun, it's also a recommendation that Pittsburgh Penguins owner Mario Lemieux made in a letter to Bettman dated March 7. In it, he proposes "instituting a policy of automatically fining a team when one if its players is suspended -- with the amount of the fine based on the length of the suspension."

http://bleacherreport.com/tb/b8w7B

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (32) HI
    Country

mario's lost all credibility on this subject.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See Dergula's Items on eBay

Agreed. Failed.

SCF Rewards
    Country

mario's lost all credibility on this subject.

He also mentioned in the letter as an example, the fines he would pay himself based on Cooke and the Godard suspension so please enough with the he can't speak because he employs matt cooke.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

I don't like Lemieux at all, but this is actually a good idea. What he is proposing would, in fact, penalize him since he does employ Cooke. You hit the owner, GM and/or coach and the guys costing their bosses money would soon be riding pine or outright let go.

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    (32) HI
    Country

He also mentioned in the letter as an example, the fines he would pay himself based on Cooke and the Godard suspension so please enough with the he can't speak because he employs matt cooke.

i didn't mention anything about Cooke or Godard. all i said was he's lost credibility on this matter. its also convenient only after Crosby gets hurt is he all upset over this matter.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

Regardless of all that, when someone is right, they're right.
    I think he's right on this. The thing is you have to weight the punishment against the possible gain of getting suspended (ie: some people do like to see injuries and it creates a market. People don't watch NASCAR to see cars hang a left all afternoon)

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    Blowout (18)
    Country
    See keystoneantiquities's Items on eBay

Pass. When Mario speaks, the NHL must pay attention.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Toronto Maple Leafs

I like the idea of the team getting fined but I also liked Bobby Clarkes idea. He said that fines should go against the salary cap and I couldn't agree more.
    Collecting:Leafs Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Conacher, Horner, Broda, Bower, Clark, Gilmour and others.

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

I like the idea of the team getting fined but I also liked Bobby Clarkes idea. He said that fines should go against the salary cap and I couldn't agree more.

That does have more bite to it.