Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Should I do?

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See TysonX504's Items on eBay

What Should I do?

I would like to start up a collection for my son (girlfriend's kid, but he's mine now haha), as I gave him a base card the other day and he got so excited and said "OHHH WOW, Hockey card??". His face just lit up

I'm trying to decide on who I should start a collection of for him, doesn't have to be a player from a certain team or anything, but one that I can afford to do and enjoy sharing the hobby with him. He's 3 yrs old and we just started the Panini NHL Hockey 2010-11 Sticker Album.

Open to any and all suggestions

I let him look at all the Team Logos and he picked the Tampa Bay Lightning, any good rookies down there?
    Last edited by TysonX504; 03-17-2011 at 04:14 PM.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See masonraymond0320's Items on eBay

Dana Tyrell? Or maybe the young goalie, Tokarski? Hope your son has fun collecting :) and is a future collector
    Hidden Content
    I collect: Adam Larsson, Mason Raymond and Matt Duchene

SCF Rewards
    Country

Dana Tyrell? Or maybe the young goalie, Tokarski? Hope your son has fun collecting :) and is a future collector

Are you trying to make me kill you? ;)

Dont collect either of those guys.

I would take his favorite team(or yours) and pick one of the younger guys who has a good shot to stay with the team for a bit and isnt exactly a star right now. That way you can find some nice cards but it wont cost you an arm and a leg.

Just noticed the OP edit. Dont forget that logo is changing next year so maybe show him the new one to make sure he still likes it because it will be different after this years crop of cards. If he still likes it then the two above are decent choices I guess....hmph. Hahaha

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Ottawa Senators
    See atmx093's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale Upper Deck ePack

From Tampa, it's really gonna be either Tyrell or Tokarski, but if you're open to other teams, there's Bobby Butler with your PC team Ottawa who's been a real surprise. I think he may very well be there to stay and his cards are dirt cheap.
    Last edited by cardscardscards; 03-17-2011 at 06:59 PM.

BANNED

Country

Not Tok please :) haha but I'd go with St. Louis. He has a lot of GU cards, you don't have to go wiht just Rookies. There are a ton of auto and jersey and some patches already out there for cheap.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Not Tok please :) haha but I'd go with St. Louis. He has a lot of GU cards, you don't have to go wiht just Rookies. There are a ton of auto and jersey and some patches already out there for cheap.

That reminds me, I still am very interested in that Gold BD. I have to get some paypal together and we can talk again ;)

Blog Entries
    Transferred Feedback
    Beckett (66)
    Country

If he just loves cards, why not try to gather up just as many Lightning cards (since that's the team he picked) as you can. It's a really cheap and fun way to get him started up. Let him worry about collecting a certain player or finding the more valuable cards when he gets older. If he appreciated 1 card that much, imagine when he has 500 Lightning cards, be they base or whatever.
    Let him enjoy the cards at the basest level for now and let him learn the hobby as he grows.

Just my 2 cents

SCF Rewards
    Country

If he likes the Lightning, I would go with Victor Hedman, Martin St.Louis, or Dustin Tokarski.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See NEShead's Items on eBay

They aren't exactly rookies, but Victor Hedman and Steven stamkos are the two best young players on Tampa Bay's team.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Edmonton Oilers Toronto Maple Leafs
    Twitter: @Andy417 COMC Cards For Sale

For a 3 year old, I would maybe start off with low-mid end cards since condition isn't really the top concern on their mind. If something happens, the cards are easily replaceable and the loss wouldn't be huge. I would maybe suggest opening a box of score or victory (or even a few packs at a time) and see if your son is suddenly drawn to a certain card or a few different ones. By doing so, he will likely get some Tampa Bay players, and if he is drawn to another card, player, or team, then that's cool too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast