Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See spuds1961's Items on eBay

It's not what you spend but what you pull

I'll start this off by saying I am probably one of the cheapest if not the cheapest collector out there,as most on the boards of scf will know by my many discounted retail breaks.I make a modest salary and I will treat myself to an expensive hobby box every now and then,as long as the Missus okays it.For my money though I find it alot easier to break even or come out ahead on the discounted retail front.Here is my thinking,yes I might have to deal with expired redemptions and promotions,but for the most part everything you should expect from a pack of cards is in there.

I will say you must be educated on what you're buying in the discounted blasters,as if you go in blindly you most likely will take a beating,see retail 2007 ud future stars,more often than not for your 9.99 39 commons and a high numbered insert.I have it pretty good in Mississippi as it seems there are more retail stores that sell cards here than most other states,it has to be the Walmart and Fred's capital of the world.

I remember the first time I noticed that Fred's even carried cards,I needed something for my car and walked down the toy aisle and saw the discounted blister packs and blaster boxes,didn't pull anything great that day but it allowed me a cheap break while I was bored.I am as much of a gambler as the next collector,but I figure why spend 80 to 100 dollars on a hobby box when I can get about 70 packs for 1.49 from Fred's.Yes the odds aren't as good but I believe in the theory that in quantity over quality you're bound to hit sooner or later.

Here is where I will brag a little about some of the cards pulled from my local Fred's and Walmarts to let you guys know it can happen,I'll list them in order of my favorites starting with what I think is best and going downward.

# 1 Kevin Durant 07/08 Topps chrome white refractor rc # 49/99 from a 1.49 pack at Fred's.

# 2 Clayton Kershaw 2009 ud goudey sport royalty autograph,pulled from an 11.98 discounted blaster at Walmart.

# 3 Cole Hamels gu patch # 10/25 from a 9.99 ud ser 1 blaster from target.

# 4 Yi Jianlian topps stadium club xfractor rc auto,pulled from a 11.98 blaster,also in that same box was a shaquille o'neal beam team gu card also from Walmart.

# 5 Howie Kendrick 2007 topps 52 red ink auto # 03/52 from a 9.99 blaster from target.

I have pulled enough money cards in my cheap breaks to justify my lack of love for hobby boxes,not knocking you guys who like the hobby version better,but let's just say when it comes to hobby my luck is pathetic.In closing I'm not saying retail is better than hobby,quite the contrary as who wouldn't want the guarantee of 4 hits in one box.What I am saying is if you guys see some products that you thought didn't get the love they deserved when they first came out,and now you can buy them at a fraction of the cost I say go for it.Even if you don't pull anything you still will find something that is worth the money.Hope you collectors enjoyed this read,have a great and most of all cheap collecting day,take care Steve

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See bbra9027's Items on eBay

Yeah I like the blasters becaue they are cheaper and you get more cards to trade on SCF.
    Drug and smoke free trading.

Hidden Content
    Hidden Content cardscomicsmoviesandgames
    Hidden Content darkdemon202404

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See Nowitzki-fan41's Items on eBay

I agree completely, Ive had all my best pulls from blasters, most of them discounted. Hobby boxes offer you a chance at a 1/1s and other very hard to get cards, but that doesnt mean nothing good can come from retail. My best pull is a Jordan/Jabbar 09-10 UD Dual Game Materials in a 11.98 discounted blaster. Ive also pulled a Wade/LbJ, Garnett/LbJ, Dwight Howard Auto /25, Melo auto /35, and a few more, all from wal-mart blasters. (not all were discounted, but all were retail) Hobby boxes are great if you can afford to drop that kind of money on one break, but if your always broke retail blasters can be just as gratifying if you know what you are buying. Another great read Spuds, thanks!

SCF Rewards
    Country

So true mrveggieman,thanks for the reply.

CamaroPat you're a man after my own heart,nice stash of retail pulls you got there,the best buy on discounted blasters has to be the 09/10 ud basketball,heck with a dual gu most player combinations will give you your money back,thanks for the reply take care Steve

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See Don't use ebay's Items on eBay

you're super lucky to have decent retail. The only kind we have up here is some garbage hockey like mini-jersey or Ultra and ok I guess is Upper Deck. No wonder we can't get new hobbyists with this retail. And when it comes to other sports, I have to reserve with the LCS because it goes so fast even at inflated prices. But, better than nothing for sure

Transferred Feedback
    Blowout (164)
    Country

I love you spuds.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Thanks for the reply tdavidautos,sorry you don't have places with decent retail,whereas I don't have anywhere but one overpriced card shop for hobby.

Thanks ManInTheMirror,take care Steve

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See Don't use ebay's Items on eBay

Thanks for the reply tdavidautos,sorry you don't have places with decent retail,whereas I don't have anywhere but one overpriced card shop for hobby.

Thanks ManInTheMirror,take care Steve

Too bad. As an aside I took the Yankees again tonight. Can't possibly lose again can they? lol not only that I actually took them to win by two. We gotta be due for a breakout game.

Here's to hoping anyways

SCF Rewards
    Country

Nice list of pulls!

I've had some nice retail pulls, including a Starlin Castro auto (From Topps Heritage), Jason Kubel (Allen and Ginter) auto. Both from the same Wal Mart.

I buy hobby boxes of products that I really like, but they are hard to find. Every year I usually get a hobby box or two of the Topps Base Set because they are somewhat fun to collect. Some of the hobby boxes out there just don't seem worth it (Topps Heritage for example) so if I buy hobby its gotta be either a set that I'm in love with or one with a lot of pulls for the buck, and potentially ones that will have cards I'm going to enjoy collecting.

Retail is smaller risk and smaller reward... but easier fun to have without the $100 dent in the wallet.

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    Montreal Canadiens Toronto Blue Jays New England Patriots
    Twitter: @KarineHains See Pheebs8882's Items on eBay

Good stuff Steve, published article here: https://www.sportscardforum.com/artic...what-you-pull/

To be honest, I've never given those retail boxes a chance...mainly cos there were none in England but in my current situation it might be an option...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast