Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SCF Rewards
    Country

Question When did Topps start doing this?

The other day I bought a retail box of 2002 Bowman at KMart just to rip open some packs and look for the Harden RC.

Well I start opening the packs and realize I didn't get a 1 in every pack parallel. So I open up more and still don't get it and then I check the box. It doesn't say that I should be getting anything.

So when did Topps start with this? I bought retail boxes before with 1998 and 1999 and they still had them.

They are kinda really making people NOT want to buy retail. This was the first retail box I bought in about 4 years and if they take out everything why does anybody want to spend the money on it?
    Selling All My Cards Here------>Hidden Content

Baseball Autograph and Game Used Only Trade Page: pwaldo.webs.com/
    //s123.photobucket.com/albums/o299/pwaldo/

SCF Rewards

I think retail boxes are more for impulse buyers (in Target, Wal mart and K mart in my areas, the boxes and cards are located right next to the checkout lines)..... kids and their parents who aren't aware that by buying retail boxes, they may not have as good a chance as with hobby boxes.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See petrov84's Items on eBay

That seems kind of underhanded...

SCF Rewards
    Blog Entries
    Country
    See Molina00's Items on eBay

Anything to make money, you know.
    Like Podstock said in one of his posts
    "Cash is king"

SCF Rewards
    See radioheadfloyd's Items on eBay

I think that a lot of the motivation behind it is to gain the support of delears and help card shops... obviously card shops cannot compete with a giant like Wal_Mart ... the card companies have made the hobby packs to help support the card shops which in turn help support the hobby. You get less in retail packs for the most part... but they are ususally a cheaper price per pack then what the hobby shops charge... at least in the shops I have seen.

SCF Rewards

I think that is an excellent point about hobby packs vs retail packs. But, they should still include something extra-wise in their retail packs, and just increase the ratios in their hobby product...

SCF Rewards
    See grtrez's Items on eBay

I agree with booty on the lower ratios on the Retail then Hobby... for example I know in the 2002 UD World Series heores retail blaster you will never get an auto but in the Hobby u have some kind of chance... Also I have boughten a REtail box of Pacific and they dont number there rookies I think thats all ridicoulus they should number them just have a higher number like 2000, But sometimes i hear people pull great things in the retail boxes... Im trying to get myself wal-mart just to buy one of these boxes to see what I get and to have fun...but taking away 1/1 odds is redicouls or at least change it to 1/2... theres my opinion :)

SCF Rewards
    Country

Originally posted by radioheadfloyd
    I think that a lot of the motivation behind it is to gain the support of delears and help card shops... obviously card shops cannot compete with a giant like Wal_Mart ... the card companies have made the hobby packs to help support the card shops which in turn help support the hobby. You get less in retail packs for the most part... but they are ususally a cheaper price per pack then what the hobby shops charge... at least in the shops I have seen.

Yeah I know that they have to help out the hobby shops but they never did this before with Bowman so I was just wondering when they started.

You have worse odds for autographs and game used in the Bowman but if I had known they were going to cut out the parallels I probably wouldn't have bought it then. I would have tried another box.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See ashbyb14's Items on eBay

So you can't buy hobby packs in target or walmart?

SCF Rewards

not to the best of my knowledge. All boxes in these stores (Kmart, Walmart, Target, Kaybee) are the retail variety

the best thing to do is attend an auction in person, then spend $200-400 in buying large lots of boxes.

That's what I enjoy most.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast