Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thread: Prototype Cards

SCF Rewards
    See Zintman's Items on eBay

Prototype Cards

As you may remember, the 3 million cards that I am sorting came from a collector who had a friend who worked at Upper Deck in Denver. As such, I have LOTS of Upper Deck cards, particularly Edge football cards.

I am finding quite a few cards, mostly Edge football but others as well, that have the words "Proto" on the backs or fronts. I must have 100 '95 Elway cards like this. Are these in demand? Do collectors want these cards or are they trash?

Related, I am also finding lots of cards, Edge and others, that have PROMO writting on the back or front. As above, are these in demand? Do collectors want these cards or are they trash?

Thanks again! (Sorry for all the questions!)

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jaderock's Items on eBay

Quote Originally Posted by Sheesh
    I must have 100 '95 Elway cards like this. Are these in demand? Do collectors want these cards or are they trash?

Related, I am also finding lots of cards, Edge and others, that have PROMO writting on the back or front. As above, are these in demand? Do collectors want these cards or are they trash?

Thanks again! (Sorry for all the questions!)

Certainly not trash, but close - if you have a 100 now in 2005, there probably was a million (exaggeration) in circulation back then. BTW any "promo" cards of Mark Brunell? I might be interested in those.

SCF Rewards
    Country

I got a couple of Brunell, including the 3 Pacific cards from 1997 (they couldn't decide on a design, so 2 of the 3 were never "produced"). Brunell was Pacific's spokesman for a couple years, I know I have all the promos he was on.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Scratch that, you already got them. :o)

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See psymark9's Items on eBay

Hey, Sheesh

Have you found any Jason Kidd cards In your collection yet?

-Mark

SCF Rewards

Thanks for the info on the promo cards, but what about the proto cards? I assume these were prototypes, never gone into circulation, unlike promotion cards. The Elway's that I speak of are protos, not promo.

I'm not certain if I have any Brunell, but I'll keep looking for them for you :)

BL: I have found some Kidd cards. A bunch. However, since I am sorting all these cards in sets (complete or incomplete unknown, dups for certain), I'm not certain which they are are in. To take a football example, I have 10K 1990 NFL Proset cards (luckily, there are lots of high value sets, too, but not 10K of cards in them). I know there are Favre, Sanders and the like in there, but where, I don't know. I plan on inventorying only the high value sets in a few months. At that time, I will know what, and where, certain cards may be.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jaderock's Items on eBay

Quote Originally Posted by Sheesh
    Thanks for the info on the promo cards, but what about the proto cards? I assume these were prototypes, never gone into circulation, unlike promotion cards. The Elway's that I speak of are protos, not promo.

Promo=Prototype and both are released to the public (usually dealers or wrapper redemptions). There's a 1993 Collector's Edge PROTOTYPES set that 40,000 were produced a including John Elway!

SCF Rewards

I also just found a set of 6 Edge 1992 prototypes (really, have about 40 sets of 6) that say First Edition on the back with a green border and a black front with Jim Kelly #1, Randall Cunningham #2, Warren Moon #3, John Elway #4, Dan Marino #5, Bernie Kosar #6.

Thanks for the help.