Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Page 2 of 110 FirstFirst 123451252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Tigers vs. Yankees

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jason_baker78's Items on eBay

Am I the only person who thinks this series will be a slug fest? I think the Yankees are the last team the Tigers wanted to play for one reason only.......Yankee Stadium. Verlander does not match up well with the Yankees especially at Yankee stadium. When Verlander gets hurt it's with the long ball. He's given up 24 hrs this season, the most in his career. Scherzer and Penny are no better at preventing the long ball. The Yankees have hit the most HR's in MLB.
    I think Fister's start will be key to this series and he should start GM 2 at Yankee stadium because he is a ground ball pitcher (although sometimes that doesn't matter there, just ask Roy Halladay). It's a toss up series to me. I see this series going to 5 games but if I had to give an edge to one team it would be the Tigers, but Verlander has to keep the ball in the ballpark.

OPG Staff

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See gladdyontherise's Items on eBay COMC Cards For Sale

Am I the only person who thinks this series will be a slug fest? I think the Yankees are the last team the Tigers wanted to play for one reason only.......Yankee Stadium. Verlander does not match up well with the Yankees especially at Yankee stadium. When Verlander gets hurt it's with the long ball. He's given up 24 hrs this season, the most in his career. Scherzer and Penny are no better at preventing the long ball. The Yankees have hit the most HR's in MLB.
    I think Fister's start will be key to this series and he should start GM 2 at Yankee stadium because he is a ground ball pitcher (although sometimes that doesn't matter there, just ask Roy Halladay). It's a toss up series to me. I see this series going to 5 games but if I had to give an edge to one team it would be the Tigers, but Verlander has to keep the ball in the ballpark.

Penny won't be pitching at all and won't be on the postseason roster. Verlander game 1, Fister game 2, Scherzer game 3, Porcello game 4 (if needed), Verlander game 5 (if needed)

I could see alot of runs being put up, wouldn't suprise me to much. Tigers when they face right handed pitching, throw out alot of leftie, including Martinez, Betemit, & Santiago (switch hitters), then Avila and Dirks/Kelly (whoever Leyland uses in the platoon role. Plus you might as well call Miguel Cabrera add Cabrera because he loves going the opposite way, so that short fence helps him.

Scherzer gives up a ton of homers, which is a good thing that he's pitching at Comerica which will help him.
    Click banner for tradelist
    Hidden Content
    Dan LeFevour PC 192/283

SCF Rewards
    Country

Since the yankees couldnt beat the rays that is the last time i ever hope they win not that i ever do .... My 2 fav teams are redsox and anyone playing a new york team so im taking justin and tigers

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See jason_baker78's Items on eBay

Penny won't be pitching at all and won't be on the postseason roster. Verlander game 1, Fister game 2, Scherzer game 3, Porcello game 4 (if needed), Verlander game 5 (if needed)

I could see alot of runs being put up, wouldn't suprise me to much. Tigers when they face right handed pitching, throw out alot of leftie, including Martinez, Betemit, & Santiago (switch hitters), then Avila and Dirks/Kelly (whoever Leyland uses in the platoon role. Plus you might as well call Miguel Cabrera add Cabrera because he loves going the opposite way, so that short fence helps him.

Scherzer gives up a ton of homers, which is a good thing that he's pitching at Comerica which will help him.

Every Tiger SP except Fister gives up the long ball and often. I think having no lefty SP to throw at the Yankees could hurt the Tigers badly in this series. The Yankees have a potent left handed hitting lineup. They need to do what the Phillies did last year in the NLDS and go with a three man rotation. That way Verlander is almost guaranteed to start 2 games of the 5 and 1 of them at home. Verlander could win game 1 and then the Yankees could win games 2, 3 and 4 and not have to see Verlander again. Or worse, Verlander loses game 1 and now the Tigers need to win 2 of the next 3 just to get Verlander back on the mound. That's poor strategy to have him start games 1 and 5. Very poor strategy. He could easily come back on 4 days rest and pitch game 4.

SCF Rewards
    Country

Yankees in 4. I think the Tigers will take game 1 but that's it.
    Last edited by baseballboy2; 09-29-2011 at 05:29 PM.

OPG Staff

SCF Rewards
    Country

Every Tiger SP except Fister gives up the long ball and often. I think having no lefty SP to throw at the Yankees could hurt the Tigers badly in this series. The Yankees have a potent left handed hitting lineup. They need to do what the Phillies did last year in the NLDS and go with a three man rotation. That way Verlander is almost guaranteed to start 2 games of the 5 and 1 of them at home. Verlander could win game 1 and then the Yankees could win games 2, 3 and 4 and not have to see Verlander again. Or worse, Verlander loses game 1 and now the Tigers need to win 2 of the next 3 just to get Verlander back on the mound. That's poor strategy to have him start games 1 and 5. Very poor strategy. He could easily come back on 4 days rest and pitch game 4.

Tigers do need a lefty and looked hard during the deadline, but as you know, there just wasn't a quality left handed pitcher on the market. The Tigers do have a kid in their farm system though who looks like he could be a quality left handed pitcher, Drew Smyly. He put up really nice numbers in A/AA ball this season. However, he's gotta be atleast another 18 months or so away from realistically being able to pitch in the majors.

I also agree on the 3 man rotation, but Leyland refuses to do it. It's been a big issue locally, he said no matter what the series is at, he wouldn't use Verlander on short rest for the ALDS.

Verlander's numbers vs lefties Are excellent. I feel comfortable with Fister also, because he's been pitching so well. Scherzer i'm extremely iffy on. He's had moments where he pitches VERY well vs a mainly left handed lineup (at Comerica this season, he pitched 8 scoreless innings vs the Yanks) but he's also got hammered. Porcello though, I have no faith in him vs a left handed lineup, he can be effective when he throws inside to left handed hitters, but he often stops throwing inside and then gets crushed as soon as he stops doing that.

SCF Rewards
    Country
    See no page's Items on eBay

Leyland is a nut job. He does weird things. The year he won with the Marlins every crazy move he made turned out good. He probably wont use the starters correctly, but hey, Girardi will over-use the relivers.

I see this as a great series, two teams that can hit the ball, but i think Texas is a better hitting team than the Tigers, and i think the Yankees can hit with anyone and also pitch better than everyone gives them credit for - they have the best bullpen ERA, and their starters ERA is good too, and again, it does make a difference with the tough division and stadium the Yankees play in.

No matter what, this post season should be fun!!!! I cant wait for tomorrow!!!

SCF Rewards
    Transferred Feedback
    TCC (73)
    Country
    See Nyfancam01's Items on eBay

Yankees in 5...

(i hope)

OPG Staff

SCF Rewards
    Country

Leyland is a nut job. He does weird things. The year he won with the Marlins every crazy move he made turned out good. He probably wont use the starters correctly, but hey, Girardi will over-use the relivers.

I see this as a great series, two teams that can hit the ball, but i think Texas is a better hitting team than the Tigers, and i think the Yankees can hit with anyone and also pitch better than everyone gives them credit for - they have the best bullpen ERA, and their starters ERA is good too, and again, it does make a difference with the tough division and stadium the Yankees play in.

No matter what, this post season should be fun!!!! I cant wait for tomorrow!!!

You'll probably see Andy Dirks or Don Kelly hitting 2nd in game 2, so Leyland still does things like that. He'll also leave a .280/.340 OBP hitting 8th though

SCF Rewards
    Country
    Miami Dolphins New York Mets Miami Heat
    See FLIHGH's Items on eBay

Yanks in 4.

Page 2 of 110 FirstFirst 123451252102 ... LastLast