Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kobe losing endorsements

Kobe losing endorsements

Chocolate maker ends Bryant endorsement

By David Porter, The Associated Press
    TRENTON, N.J. - The maker of Nutella chocolate spread said today it will not renew its endorsement deal with Kobe Bryant in part because of the sexual assault charge against the NBA superstar.

Ferrero, an Italian company with U.S. headquarters in Somerset, N.J., said it has discontinued all promotions involving the Los Angeles Lakers guard.

"Ferrero U.S.A.'s contract with Kobe Bryant expires in January 2004," the company said in a statement. "Marketing plans established earlier this year did not contemplate a contract renewal. In keeping with this decision, and considering the recent developments, Kobe's image on Nutella labels and promotional material is being phased out." A call to Bryant's agent, Arn Tellem, was not immediately returned.

Bryant, 24, is charged with sexually assaulting a 19-year-old woman on June 30 at a mountain resort in Edwards, Colo. Bryant has said the two had consensual sex. His initial court appearance is Wednesday.

Until this summer, Bryant was best known as a five-time All Star with one of the most marketable images in professional sports. He has a multimillion-dollar sneaker deal with Nike and contracts with Sprite, McDonald's and Spalding.

Even before he was charged, marketing experts predicted the assault case could cost him more than $100 million in potential earnings.

Nike has said its deal with Bryant remains in place. Coca-Cola Co. spokesman Scott Williamson said Monday that Bryant has been under contract with Sprite since 1997 and remains under contract until 2005.

Bryant had appeared in Sprite commercials through the first week of July, but there are no plans to use him in ads through the end of the year, Williamson said. He said the plan was developed before the sexual assault allegations.

Ferrero manufactures Nutella, a hazelnut-and-chocolate spread popular in Europe. Bryant spent part of his childhood living in Italy.

The New York Post reported Monday that Ferrero removed a picture of a Bryant doll and references to the player from its Web site soon after Bryant was charged

I actually don't think too many more endorsers will end contracts/deals with Kobe...It seems like the whole ordeal is basically over, because Kobe was released on bond...But the memory will still remain, i dont think it was as major as the Sosa cork incident, but it sure was right up there.

And seeing that Sosa didn't lose many endorsers, i don't see Bryant's case being much different.

How can you say Sosa 's corking is worse?
    Kobe LIED! plain and simple, not only to the fans, but to his wife! If he would have been as faithful as he says he was in his staged news conference.. He would have kept his **** in his pants!
    Screwing over your Family is Way worse than what sosa did, and it does'nt even compare!

Shouldn't it be losing endorsement.

I only see 1 that's dropping him.
    Baseball Trade Page: Hidden Content
    4 Sport Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

Originally posted by pwaldo
    Shouldn't it be losing endorsement.

I only see 1 that's dropping him.
    So far one I guess, but I think the key aspect of it all is that it doesnt seem like he will be getting any new ones....

Originally posted by j.e.lew
    How can you say Sosa 's corking is worse?
    Kobe LIED! plain and simple, not only to the fans, but to his wife! If he would have been as faithful as he says he was in his staged news conference.. He would have kept his **** in his pants!
    Screwing over your Family is Way worse than what sosa did, and it does'nt even compare!
    I agree Kobe's incident was a lot worse but Sammy may have lied as well about knowing if the bat was corked or not. The difference is Sosa cheated in a game not a marriage.

Originally posted by radioheadfloyd
    So far one I guess, but I think the key aspect of it all is that it doesnt seem like he will be getting any new ones....

Like he needs anymore.

They could always use me to endorse their products. :D :D :D :D :D
    Baseball Trade Page: Hidden Content
    4 Sport Trade Bucket: Hidden Content

Still comparing Sosa to kobe... That the Stupidest thing I've ever read here! You cant compare the two incidents!

Sosa broke the rules, He admitted it.
    Kobe Is facing jail time, and lied! Plain outright LIED!
    Sosa was never asked if he did it before, he came right out after the game and said he was wrong.
    Kobe let this go on for 2 weeks before admitting it .
    Dont even think that sexually assualting or being charged with that is even close to what Sosa did.
    It makes me wonder where your morals are when cheating on a game is worse than cheating on your wife and RAPING someone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast